foot placement on Unlimited

Roe Slalom Boards

Moderator: Gareth Roe

Bradley Elfman

foot placement on Unlimited

Post by Bradley Elfman » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:04 pm

My Ulimited PS is really awesome, but I am having some question about foot placement, since the shape is differenct than previous boards I've used.

I have been placing my front foot right over the front trucks, and still experimenting with the back foot and not satisfied with my choices so far.

I would appreciate thoughts on both where, angle, and whether it's ok for toes to hang over.

I found using the shorter wheelbase left an overhang behind the rear trucks that my rear foot kept finding and tending to lift the board.

Also, thoughts on foot stops.

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:34 pm

Hey Brad,

I love the shape of my Unlimited...for me it''s very versatile...

I ride the deck with my front foot angled at close to 45* to the center line of the deck. I have an aluminum electrical "ground lug" bolted in the lower left front bolt hole of the front truck for a toe stop...(I ride regular, left foot forward)...I've got size 11 feet so they hang over everything I ride......except my 12" Skaterbuilt PIG, hehe....

It's my experience that working the camber thats built into the deck is advantageous in accelerating from apex to apex so getting your front foot just behind the front truck
is where I'd start... and if your deck is anything like mine, there will be a definite "sweet spot"
that you'll find will make the thing really come alive.

I ride raised heel through tighter courses so I keep the ball of my rear foot on the front bolt
heads of the rear truck...

remember, this is how "I" do it... your mileage may vary, as they say.... :-)

I'm bummed that I have the Unlimited tore down right now or I'd post a pic, sorry....

Have you gotten in touch with either Rick Stanziale, Marty Schaub or Tom Thompson??
All are in GA and awesome skaters...

later, Tod
Last edited by Tod Oles on Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Unlimited feet...

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:59 pm

Hi Brad,

Glad you like the board! It took me a session to sort my feet out, rather my rear foot. Tod is right about that front foot. I actually use Chicken's foam and build some front concave (see pics on Roe Torsion Core forum) which I find not only locates my front foot, but acts as a turn amplifier, a bit like the toe ramp on a snowboard binding.

I have now experimented with a heel lift on my back foot which I love and find that my size 9's are happy with my back foot just ever so slightly hanging off the side of the board parallel with the rail. My feet are over the rear truck to aid with traction.

Having the back foot right at the back when using the closer holes is not a bad thing, but if the front is lifting, sounds like your front foot could do with being a little further forward.

Hope this helps.