Roe quiver for a newbie!

Roe Slalom Boards

Moderator: Gareth Roe

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Roe quiver for a newbie!

Post by Erin Riffel » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:43 pm

Well after lots of reading and writing and skating I have created my slalom quiver with two well chosen Roe boards! There are many good options out there for a skater just starting into slalom. I have been practicing for the past while on a cut down longboard and have been continually thinking about what I would like to purchase to cover the slalom applications I am hoping to skate in the years to come.

And here's where I've ended up! Two Roe's on the way as this very moment.

I have a Roe Unlimited coming from Gareth. So many good things have been said about this board over the years. It simply speaks for itself. Seems like a 'bread and butter' board for many skaters. Into my vacant quiver it comes...to be set up mostly for GS/Hybrid.

And then to keep the Unlimited company and to satisfy my secret desire to master real Tight, I scored a Crossfire Cutaway from Karl. This board should be a wonderful ride for TS and cyber slalom.

And with these two Roe's in a girl's quiver what more could she want? I think that should neatly cover my slalom needs for now.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:42 am

Wow, you don't screw around do you.

With two killer boards like that I suggest one good rear traction truck that you can swap and an extra base so all you have to do is loosen the kingpin nut.

Get it?

Joe

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:18 am

...and which "good rear traction truck" do you recommend Joe?

and no, not messing about with this aspect of skateboarding. When I got into longboarding it took me ages to suss out good set ups for my weight and riding style. That resulted in a lot of buying and then selling of boards. I am not into holding onto gear that I don't plan on using a fair bit.

So with slalom I just wanted to get a couple of good decks to cover my bases. This is a sport I really want to pursue and so I am willing to commit some dollars to a good foundation of gear.

And to that end, there were some very good choices out there...but some manufactures couldn't provide the goods and others just didn't seem to be the right fit for my taste.

So Roe it is!

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:51 am

Either a 107 split or a Chicken indy offset.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:46 am

Karl Floitgraf wrote:Either a 107 split or a Chicken indy offset.
Those do sound like good options Karl.

........hummm, looks like I'm not done haunting the 'for sale' section of the forum.....lol

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:38 am

Erin, soon i may have an indy 101 offset for sale because i may be replacing it with a chindy 88.

...but i think Joe may have first dibs on it if i may not be mistaken?

and BTW-just turned 16 and got my driving permit!
No vestido para mi

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:13 am

I would defer to Erin if she wants it.

Joe

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:40 am

Congrats on the hitting the roads with a motor attached to your four wheels Adam!

Humm, excuse my ignorance but would the Indy 101 offset work on the rear if I'm running a 106 Tracker on the front? If so, I'd be interested in the truck Adam.....thanks for giving me dibs Joe....

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:49 pm

it would work, i had the same thing for a while. the truck come's with two spacers that i am guessing are 8mm. the spacers aren't for the bearings, but are to space out your wheels so the inner lip doesn't hit.

i heard you have cambrias right? so these spacers would fit perfectly i believe, right now they space out my avalons so they come within a mm or 2 of the arm.
No vestido para mi

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

Suggestions...

Post by Martin Drayton » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:11 pm

Hi Erin,

As a TS-lover (and a bigtime Roe user), I would suggest the Chindy 88 over the 101. This is because with clever use of the spacers you can use it for TS and Hybrid. The 101 is a touch wide for true TS.

The same options are possible with the truck I switched to last month...The mighty Dragonslayer 90mm. An awesome truck IMHO.
If you go for the DS90, you can run it as a front truck, a rear with de-wedging and you can do the same on your Unlimited with the spacers on the insides!

As for bushings, white Khiros work really well in the front and top rear (or a Tracker blue) with a green stim on the bottom...

You need to experiment for yourself, but I find my board runs a tighter line to the cones when my front truck/wheel combo is slightly wider than the rear. It seems to follow more like a car with the rear turning less and therefore providing more grip. If you are keen to stick with the Tracker 106mm, then the 101 Indy Offset would work, but if you want to get into 5 1/2ft tight etc, you may have to go narrower...

Hope that this helps,

Martin.

ps. In the 2nd pic, my Unlimited has a 110mm Gus truck- very underrated inexpensive front truck that turns more smoothly than an Indy and has won a World TS title with Michael Stride, a TS and a Slalom title with Maurus Strobel! The 3rd board has Indy/Indy Offset combo for GS/SG.

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:41 pm

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply Martin. And what a beautiful trio of boards that is!!!

I'll give some careful thought to the truck combos that you suggested.

again, thanks.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:21 pm

Martin, you don't like the indy for ts?

i was able to run 5 1/2ft with it on a 19" wheel base and i dO90 (thats right, it says dO) spaced out to 110mm :D
No vestido para mi

Martin Drayton
Gecko Decks
Gecko Decks

I like it...

Post by Martin Drayton » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:09 am

They work, I just found stuff that works better for me...I have run similar spacing on it...but I was faster with the Gus, and the DS90mm's put me on the podium at Morro!

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:21 am

sweet! slalom is all about personal preference....

and yea, those split fires are pretty nice. especially when you have a miss-print hanger ;)
No vestido para mi