G&S Fibreflex please dont let us down, again...

Fibreflex Slalom Boards

Moderator: Debbie Saili

RL

G&S Fibreflex please dont let us down, again...

Post by RL » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:18 am

Why wouldn't a company like G&S jump on the slalom ride of the last 2 years?
Everyone wants them, yet there are none. Promises of new designs and colors? How about just keeping up w/ production of current models?

Well i decided to take my $90 and buy a Roe for now..
So much for my dream of getting all the re-isssues and setting them up w/vintage combos.
Were there even any Fibreflex slalom decks available this year?

Frustrated and disappointed.
Last edited by RL on Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joachim Leonhardt
LeonhardtART
LeonhardtART

some G&S are still left

Post by Joachim Leonhardt » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:45 am

We have a small quantity left here overseas in Europe.

They are not very cheap, because of transport cost to Europe and taxes...

But If you are interested, please drop me a line.

Joe@SlalomEuroRacing.com

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Those cookie baking Moms

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:01 pm

I think what we would all like to see happen is some investment in Fibreflex and Turner.

I know as a skater who has been familar with those 2 brands over the decades, the feeling is that they should be making more decks. The reality of it is that we have two working moms trying to run this - and those two mom's have financial constraints like almost every other working mom.

Debs has been running the slalom and longboard portion of Fibreflex through out sourcing her production- like many other skate companies do. Outsourcing requires start up capital since laborers have to be paid in a timely fashion. A person doing their own layup could defer payment to themselves at a later date...but this is not the case for Turner and Fibreflex.

How much investment? Well I have heard estimates- but I do feel they are conservative and in order to make this continue I think these Mom's deserve to make some profit for their time and effort and support of the sport. I don't think we should expect them to have to extend credit any more deeply than in the past. These Mom's "bake amazing cookies" don't they?

My guess is that $25,000 in a single lump sum payment would get Fibreflex started again with some dollars available at the end of the production run for badly needed advertising and for helping to increase her distribution- with perhaps another $5000 available to start another production run as the first one nears sell through...so there would not be such large gaps in availability.

As for Turner I'll have to give Peggy a call. I can't wait to tell her about Japan. BTW Fibreflex and Turner- once rivals are now the closest of friends.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Re: Those cookie baking Moms

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:06 pm

John Gilmour wrote:I think what we would all like to see happen is some investment in Fibreflex....
Maybe Howard Gordon & Jack Smith can help? :D

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:44 pm

I think both Howard and Jack have nearly killed themselves for the sport already. But of course if they wanted to I'm sure it would be appreciated.

What I really want to see are a new influx of people helping to drive the sport forward so they can take some of the $$ burden off of Jack and Howard as Howard has done Turner and Jack is busy with Bahne.

I will see if I know anyone who is interested. I think it would not be unreasonable or unexpected if we see some Japanese investment in the two companies in the near future.
john gilmour

RL

Fibreflex investment

Post by RL » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:58 pm

Money is cheap these days. Loans are easy to come buy. Even more so for a minority owned company.
Im sure the margins are fairly sound.
1000 decks $65.00 retail + $65,000.00
Last edited by RL on Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:53 am

1000 decks?

Are we each going to buy 4?

Chuck Gill

Post by Chuck Gill » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:56 am

Gosh Ric, if money is so cheap and loans are so easy to come by and you are so interested in Fibreflex production, why don't YOU take out a loan and invest in the company...that way YOU can do something positive for the sport instead of just bitching about how Debs isn't taking care of you personally.

Want a vintage FibreFlex? If that's all you're after, I have a couple I'd be willing to part with for significantly less than $25,000...

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:00 am

I think 1000 fiberflex would sell instantly. I could move 500 to Japan alone. (John was just there and may know something I don't but from my experience there in the 90s that's what I believe could be done).

-Slim

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:36 pm

JG, thanks for the informative posts. i'm glad to see you continuing on with the "ambassadour to slalom" direction in Japan and then integrating it back here. both turner and fibreflex helped us get where the community is today and it's important to not forget this. there are real people behind these names, it's not all "big brands" and people not caring, hiding behind huge corporate shields.

if you want one of these boards, you will get one, you may have to wait a little while. both of these brands have survived decades...

Chuck Gill

Who, Me?

Post by Chuck Gill » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:18 am

"S." - (I thought FULL NAMES were required here?) - Ric could also have made a valid point and expressed the frustrations of many skaters had he been a little NICER about it. "I'm gonna take my ball and go home, and my friend at the ball store is gonna take his and go home too" isn't the NICEST way to ask a small business owner if she will be producing any more slalom decks anytime soon.

I, on the other hand, was also making a valid point about investing in a business if he feels so strongly about it. That, too, is done all the time. Sorry if you think I'm stupid (actually, no I'm not), I can be really good at it when the mood strikes...

ed note: I removed the anonymous inflamatory response that prompted this post, my apologies to all concerned. /adam

RL

nicer?

Post by RL » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:08 am

I'm a consumer (or potental). I have a right to get frustrated. If you have followed the history of Fibreflex, this not a new topic. Since coming back into the market place they have continuely been late on promises.
Don't get me wrong I love Fibreflex. I will always be looking to support the product. Just be honest. Maybe everyone feels the same but never says it.
Harsh? Maybe.
Awesome. I'm stoked. I just want a G'damn skateboard.
Oh well. I mean no personal disrespect to anyone. I just want another damn slalom deck!
Please?
Last edited by RL on Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck Gill

Post by Chuck Gill » Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:34 am

Ric - I've had to do my share of waiting for FibreFlexes to come out. I guess that's just part of the deal, you get what you can when you can. They have some great shapes which make for great decks if you get the flex matched to your needs. Keep your eyes open and be ready to jump when they are being offered again. It's a shame that's how it has to be, but it's a one-woman operation right now as JG said above.

Worth the wait, and I think everyone who is a FibreFlex fan wishes they didn't have to wait for 'em. In the meantime, there are plenty of good boards from plenty of other manufacturers...you can never have too many slalom decks! Comet and the Roe Performance Series are good alternatives in a similar price range and construction, plus Gareth can make a deck in any shape you want.

Debbie Saili
Fibreflex

I'm with Chuck....

Post by Debbie Saili » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:45 pm

about to take my ball and go home. I'm not sure what to say here to you all.

I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances I am in. If you want a deck. order it! Don't talk trash about it...skate while you wait.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

You know you are wanted.

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:01 am

Hey Debs,

I know it sounds strange...but wanting decks that bad is a sort of compliment. Please take it as a strange sort of encouragement.

I do remember putting a deposit on a Fibreflex in 1976 at a local shop in New York. We called everyday to see when the boards were coming in. Christmas was getting closer and closer....we called sometimes up to three times day.

The decks arrived a few days before Christmas. I called up my Dad and he went and picked it up, good thing he did because I don't think the shop got as many as they ordered. It was a gorgeous 24" Kicktail Cherry Red Fibreflex on top Gloss black on the bottom- it sure felt good seeing that 24" long gift wrapped "thing" under the tree Christmas morning. I skated it that day in the lobby of my apartment building- one of my best childhood memories.

You and Fibreflex are appreciated and still are a very sought after brand. To compare with others look at the Comet forum- note the date of the last post.....Nov. 30 2002.

Also the Japanese as still stoked on Fibreflex- they stockpiled tons of slalom decks- still loving the brand after 25 years. Your popularity goes further than you may know.
john gilmour

Glenn S

Temporarily Out of Stock :-(

Post by Glenn S » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:22 am

Debbie,
I have to agree with JG. I'd take it as a compliment if I were you.

I think that you should continue to sell the newer slalom designs. Your newer slalom deck designs provide excellent value to the slalom skater. They are decks that don't cost an arm and a leg which can be ridden at the Pro level. There is obviously a reason why that whenever you make a batch you don't have any left over and they all sell out. Because they are affordable and they work great.

I thought about getting one of Attila's models a few months back this past summer. So I went to the Fibreflex website only to see that there were none available in stock. Then I went to Longskate.com and saw they were out too. And I did a search for Fibreflex and did not find any of the newer slalom designs for sale anywhere. I am an impulse buyer and when I get the desire I want it now. I did not think of emailing you to find out.

And I must tell you that I was a bit bummed to find out that you did have some of the newer slalom deck designs come out this summer.

Keep em coming. And post here to tell us that you've got materials in stock and deck can be pressed, and where to contact you so we can get them.

PS. I currently have a Teamrider (flat deck with a kicktail) that I've set up for a TS deck. It is one from about a year ago that I understand is stiffer. I think that this deck with it's kicktail is a great TS deck. I like the kicktail very much for knowing where my back foot is placed. And for my 165lbs is just the perfect feel of flex, probably less than an 1/8th inch when ridden hard. It comes stock with a 16.5" wheelbase, and I drilled both the nose and tail out and can now have 17", 17.5", and 18" wheelbases as well, and it's at the 18" wheelbase that it flexs less than 1/8", and even less for the shorter wheelbases which I feel is perfect.
Last edited by Glenn S on Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:07 am

I was serious about the 500 boards. Is that too small of a committment to get another production run made? If so, who else wants to step up with some pre-payment or signed committment?

If this sounds interesting to you Debbie, please contact me at rich at 3jar dot com.

-Rich

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:33 am

Debs, we made this forum for you to help support your products within this community, if you bail, that would be your choice, we didn't bail on you. These guys want boards, far as I can tell, that would be a good thing. When you hear the crickets, that's another.

John Gilmour has a great story and an interesting perspective, I agree with him, one persons complaint is anothers compliment.

No matter what you do, good luck with your company, we will still be supporting your boards with a forum here long as www.slalomskateboarder.com lives. Thanks again for your offer to do some artwork for us. When ever you are ready...

RL

Fibreflex

Post by RL » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:36 am

I would never trash "Fibreflex" I have ALWAYS loved them.
I originally asked why the info was so old and promises were not kept.
Those questions are still yet to be answered.
I am not trying to create a fight here. I would like to know why there are never any decks available when so many people want them.
I'm a huge fan. I bought a GS lite when they came out and LOVE it. That's not to trash Fibreflex. That's begging for more.
Sorry, don't hang me!

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:32 am

I heard from somebody that next year Fibreflex will celebrate their 40th anniversary, That has to count for something!
also there is going to be a contest sponsored by Fibreflex next year, so I believe that we are still going to see the decks coming, just that they will take longer to be pressed, but they will be here!! u betcha!

Leo
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Debbie Saili
Fibreflex

Notice of Website update for Fibreflex

Post by Debbie Saili » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:20 am

You all are welcome to preorder Decks. In 3 weeks I will see If I have enough to be able to make a run.

I'm glad you all have a passion for Fibreflex, I do too. Thank you for your support. I do appreciate it and realize the magnitude.

Flying Ace is available for purchase on http://www.sk8supply.com or http://www.solidskate.com So are the Longboards- except the 38" Pintail. The other re-issues and slalom boards are available for pre-order via paypal. If you have better suggestions let me know! I will do what I can to step up.....theres no where else to go but up.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:38 pm

Ric, glad to have you on board as a member of the slalom community. Don't feel bad about what you said- like I said...it s a compliment to a maunufactuer to have your their wanted. As far as being able to just "buy" a deck ...it ain't that simple.

You couldn't walk into a high end car dealer and walk out the same day with the car you wanted. You'd have to order it and wait...unless you were to take something in stock. Often...there is no stock on exotics. You could walk into a Chevrolet dealership and get the color you wanted and options you wanted...but Fibreflex is no Chevy.

But I did think that it would be good if manufacturers could announce when decks are available and through which dealers. So if Debs ships 25 decks to Purple Skunk she should mention here that she sent 25 decks to Purple Skunk and to contact the dealer directly.

If a dealer does enough business with Debs he or she might be willing to help finance a production run.

Anyhow- the fibreflexes are well worth their wait.... and also it may sound strange but if it is unskateable the day you get your deck in the mail (wind, rain, firestorm) ....that is good luck and means the deck is great.
john gilmour

Paul Price
Pavel Racing Team
Pavel Racing Team

FibreFlex slalom boards - order now

Post by Paul Price » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:06 pm

I have been riding Fibreflex boards for years. I got my first in 1979.

They have worked great in all the contests I have skated in lately. They are old skool but still feel great today. And everybody who sees the Fibreflex logo remembers it from 'when they used to skate'.

Well, as Deb said order by December 1st 2003 and she can put together a run!

I'm in Sydney, Australia at the moment, but stopped briefly in San Diego and saw how much Deb wants to make those boards!

PUT YOUR ORDER IN NOW AND LETS GET SOME NEW BOARDS MADE.

see you at the races...

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:42 pm

I am going to order a Sean Mallard slalom board theres something about the shape of that board that grabs me. Fibreflex gives one that feeling of nostalgia. Eddy Texas Outlaw.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:19 am

Eddy,
Im gunna order either the GSLite or the Freerider in a "3ply" version if I can. Attlia always has his GSLite's with him at every WLAC race. I think the 3ply GSLite is just about perfect flex for 160lbs. What is Debs email or phone number?

I think that you'll need to order a 4ply version, but don't quote me on that.

I know that Paul Price usually has the Freerider under foot at most races. I wonder what ply version of that deck he is using?

I really like my Fibreflex Teamrider as a TS deck.

Attila told me that 4ply is for 185# and above. For the GSLite anyway.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:53 am

There must be a glitch in the Matrix I posted twice. Must get to a phone quickly and call the Nebakaneser. Glenn here is the address. Fibreflex Skateboards,1135 Garnet Ave # D,San Diego. CA 92109 Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaw