Cyber slalom tips needed

Discussion Forum
Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

cyber slalom tips needed

Post by Erin Riffel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:17 pm

My goal for this winter is to get moderately skilled at skating the cyber slalom course. Today was my first shot at the 28 cones. I have just recently learned to really pump my board on the flats. Using white Khiro bushings on my rtx really helped with the pumping. But I noticed that my pumping intervals on the flat were about twice as fast as that needed for the six foot cone spacing. Gradually, about 2/3's of the way through the course, I can't get enough pump to keep my speed up.

I am hoping for some 'cyber coaching' to help me figure out how to get my pumping speed to match the cone spacing and just general ideas about how to make progress in flatland TS.

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:12 am

28 Cones?

It's 25 E. Cyber Slalom is the ideal practice tool to build your pump, that and just plain free riding. You'll need to match your pump to all kinds of cone spacing and cyber slalom is a good place to start.

If I read you right your pump is shorter than the 6 foot on center cone spacing? Try tightening your trucks, use a blue bushing bottom on the front, or lengthen your wheelsbase. Otherwise, as a newb, just set the course to match your pump for now. Try 5 footers and adjust from there. You should be coming out of the course faster than you went in. Don't worry about hitting cones for now, work on acceleration. Once you get that down try the 6 feet. More than that I wouldn't try on flat.

You'll need to mave over to a mild slope after that and go 6.5, 7 and begin introducing offsets. More than that you can get yourself to a race or contact jack Smith. He coaches via video you send him.
Joe

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Timmimg

Post by Claude Regnier » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:55 am

Erin, in addition to what Joe has said: One thing to note about the fact that you are slowing down is normal for beginers.

Timing of each turn is likely the reason for this. A solid left then right turn from top to bottom (of your body) will be the key. If your body movement is off it detracts from the forward momemtum you've gained and will slow you down if it continues throughout the course.

Ditto; for the Coaching Via Video<

Glad your enjoying the set-ups

CKnuck
Many Happy Pumps!

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:49 am

Thanks for your suggestions guys!

I am really stoked on the cyber slalom idea. It seems like such a practical way to get a good workout and improve slalom skills. As well, I have the fortune to be able to set up a course, when its not raining, very near to where I live so I should be able to get in lots of practice even on days when I don't have tons of free time.