Race recommendations for a newb

Discussion Forum
Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

race recommendations for a newb

Post by Erin Riffel » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:56 am

I am already getting stoked about making it to a few slalom races next season. I have the summer off so time is ample then. As for the spring....the event would have to be easy to get to and from over a weekend due to needing to be at work during the week.

I am wondering about suggestions for appropriate competitions for a beginner such as myself.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:21 pm

Erin, I'd suggest going to one of Paul Howard's races in Oregon or Washington. You would be welcome there for sure. Paul is a really nice guy, and the OR/WA races also seem to have a variety of riders, ages and skill levels. They also seem to have quite a few races throughout the year--in fact, I think there's one in Vancouver, Washington this weekend on Oct. 23--see http://www.ncdsa.com/contest_registrati ... testID=202

I recommend checking out one of those races because they are likely to be relatively low-key, cheap and close to home for you. If you like what you see there, you can always move a bit further afield next spring and summer. Salt Lake City might be a good choice; Martin Drayton seems to be getting a lot of people stoked there. Luna Slalom Jam in Jackson, Mississippi, and our very own Slalom St. Louis might be good choices should you choose to roam. Both have good racing and a good vibe. And if you really want to have a blast, try going to the Gathering (technically not a race, but there's still lots of racing) or especially the Farm.

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:18 pm

And check with Mig and Mr Regnier, they are probably familiar with Canadian events. And they're swell guys too!
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Drive South

Post by Pat Chewning » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:30 pm

Jonathan Harms wrote:Erin, I'd suggest going to one of Paul Howard's races in Oregon or Washington. You would be welcome there for sure. Paul is a really nice guy, and the OR/WA races also seem to have a variety of riders, ages and skill levels. They also seem to have quite a few races throughout the year--in fact, I think there's one in Vancouver, Washington this weekend on Oct. 23--see http://www.ncdsa.com/contest_registrati ... testID=202
Jonathan is right. The Cascade Slalom races are the closest races to you. We have some in Seattle, Portland, Vancouver (WA), Salem, and Hood River. No entry fee (except Hood River). The races are staffed and organized by racers, for racers. Sometimes we get some give-away prizes from local manufaturers. There are a wide variety of racers, so you will feel comfortable regardless of skill level or experience. We have racers that are 1st-timers, old guys like me who are middle-of-the-pack at local races, top Pro's (Michael Dong), and top amateurs (Paul Howard, Gareth Roe).

-- Pat Chewning

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:54 pm

Erin,

Harms is right. Paul is the guy for you to contact ASAP. I assume he is the closest organizer and is well suited to getting you started. I'd concentrate on hitting as many of his races before you venture "out".

Until you race with experienced others it's almost impossible to gauge your skill level and what you need to work on. After you can run a couple of Pauls courses you can consider more expansive travel.

After you've got some experience it will be easier to decide where to go. Is screaming fast GS your thing? Colorado has big hills. Want to start slower? Grass Roots racing in Chicago, St. Louis, or Mississippi might be the ticket. Wanna get loaded with me and my friends in a field? 2006 should have plenty of options ;-).

You can look thru the contest calendar on NCDSA. You'll see some continuity from year to year. People tend to land on the same month or weekend year after year. It will give you an idea of where we'll be next year. With the summer off, I'd look to see where I could string 2-3 races together and maximize your flight dollars. A good example would be Ottowa on July 1&2 and then Boston on July 4th.

Joe

Chris Barrett
Skurfskater
Skurfskater

Post by Chris Barrett » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:39 pm

ERIN! Come to ottawa next summer, it was my first race and it ruuuuuled. Spend a weekend sleeping in a skatepark and learn from the pros! The toronto group is trying to organize something too, so who knows.

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:44 pm

thanks for your suggestions guys.... it is going to be fun putting together a wee schedule of races to have some goals ( and rewards ) for this winter's practice sessions.