Grass roots slalom skateboard brochure for download

Discussion Forum
Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Grass roots slalom skateboard brochure for download

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:33 pm

Well, the comments have kind of petered out and I think it's time to put this thing to bed. I'm really satisfied that no one came along and said, "Oh my god! I can't believe you forgot THIS!" It looks as though most of the bases are covered with this little ditty.

I liked the suggested contact block (really a necessity) and the little filler of jargon for newbies. Not really necessary, but it does add something to the whole piece.

I got suggestions for different pictures, adding a little something here or there or taking out something. Jani made a good point about citing specific speeds, but I look at it this way: this isn't for OUR benefit, but for the man on the street who might be completely ignorant of slalom skateboarding. The first thing any normal human being will wonder is, "how fast are they going?" So I'll leave it at that.

Here now is the available .pdf file anyone wishing to have this brochure for their own:

SkateboardBrocprint.pdf

Theoretically, the procedure is this: download the PDF, open it up with Acrobat reader, print a master copy of each page (Preferable with a 600-dpi or more laser printer) and take it to a Xerox machine. Or, if you want a little more volume and better quality, find a Minuteman Press or something similar and get it offset printed. That will reproduce the artwork with the greatest detail.

Also, I hope that maybe Adam will update the front page of the site with a more prominent link to the brochure? It'll always be available to anyone who wants to make copies, but I'd hate for the link to get buried here in the topics as the list grows ever longer.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I hope this will add something to our little get togethers that will lead a passerby to think about jumping on a board and taking the plunge.

One last thing: my thanks and ever lasting gratitude go out to both Chris "ur13" Stepanek and Slappimius Maxwellium. Without their advice and help, this thing would have NEVER got distilled for Acrobat. Thanks again, guys.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:04 pm

Oh, one other thing:

For those of you who live in a cave, a quick bit of info -

A ".pdf" file is a distilled file read by Acrobat. To open this file, you need Acrobat Reader, which is free for download from a dozen shareware sites. Or, just go to Adobe.com and grab a copy. It will open as atwo-page document and looks FABULOUS.

If I do say so myself.

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:41 pm

Wes, are there supposed to be pictures in the two boxes on page one?

I went to adobe and got all the updates available, but still just see two empty boxes.

Thanks to all who worked on this.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:01 pm

Dan,

Yes. When you openend it with Acrobat Reader, are you saying those boxes were blank?

Dan Mitchell

Post by Dan Mitchell » Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:01 pm

Yes, but I just printed it and the images were there. Beats me why they didn't show up on Acrobat, but it looks great printed out.
Dan Mitchell, aka PA Dan

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Aug 09, 2003 4:22 pm

Whew! :razz:

Hey, Dan, and don't forget the really important aspect of this brochure: you get it FREE!

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:11 pm

Dan, you probably needed more memory allocated to Acrobat for the pics to show up on screen.

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:18 pm

Wesley,

I too, had the same thing happen as when it loaded up, no pics, but they did show up on the print job.

I commend your efforts along with ur13`s and slappy`s on this great informational leaflet.

The only criticizms I have though is on the term, start. Not all races allow a push to the first cone. Some are lunge starts or ramp starts. Also the point of a foot not being allowed to come off the board. In most cases it is a foot is not allowed to touch the ground in between the first and last cone.

But still, it is a great idea you have here.

Tod Oles
Lone Stranger Racing
Lone Stranger Racing

Post by Tod Oles » Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:05 pm

Wesley, you and your collaborators get a big thanks for your efforts.
A couple of skate parks have been built in my area (N central Illinois) one just 5mi. away with a beatiful ribbon of asphalt around it. I'll be sure to pass a few out while I get my skating chops back in order after a 15 yr. lay off. Hopefully being "armed" with this, as it looks polished and professionally done will wield some credibility to slalom and offer some of the skaters that aren't so good at ramp or freestyle another avenue to pursue on a skateboard. Just having the link to this site with its cast of characters should hook a few, it did me!

Thanks and best regards, Tod