2003 SlalomSkateboarder.com Skateboarder Of The Year

Discussion Forum
Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

2003 SlalomSkateboarder.com Skateboarder Of The Year

Post by Rick Stanziale » Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:07 am

You may vote HERE for the 2003 SlalomSkateboarder.com Skateboarder of 2003.

This thread will be placed in the "thrash can", the forum was modified after my original post to include all the nominees.

Thanks for your interest.

12/27/03 ed note: I have removed the original poll and added a link to the official poll.
Last edited by Rick Stanziale on Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

One additional nomination if you please.

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:49 am

Rick,

Where's that Carrasco feller? Didn't he win the WLAC title and a bunch of other stuff in 2003? He also kicked ass and took no prisoners on his European swing, helped spread the word in England and Switzerland, dominated JPL and if it wasn't for Richie, Maria would probably be out shooting surf bums instead of us magnificent athletic specimens of Slalom prowess. Plus, Richie (and all the Carrascos) are registered and ardent supporters of SS.com.

I really think Richie deserves to be nominated, but I voted for Parsons. I love 'ya, Bomber, but I gotta stick with my Mobile Home-boy.

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:44 am

I originally posted this topic on August 14.

When I first attempted to post this evening, I tried to include every name that had been listed in nomination. Unfortunately, the poll feature on the bulletin board won't permit that many options. The list was distilled to registered users and further distilled by my own, admittedly biased, editorial opinion.

A four month old subject was probably inadequate for nominations, if you have any suggestions on how to improve for 2004, I welcome them.

Ted Clement

Post by Ted Clement » Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:58 am

I nominate Kenny Mollica

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:12 am

Ted,

One of that bastard 66's criteria for "Slalomskateboarder.com Slalom Skater Of The Year" is that the nominees be registered and participate on this website.

I don't believe Mr.Mollica has yet to pursue the arduous and demanding regimen required to enlist in the ranks of Slalomskateboarder.com registrants.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:04 am

Since you have started this poll, let's see it through as fairly as possible.

You can have upto 20 poll options (I can add more) so please add nominations that are applicable.

Kenny Mollica would be an appropriate nomination, he is world champion, I could care less if he "recognizes" this web site or not, let the people decide. But if you want to rule out non-registered racers, so be it.

I would like to see John Ravitch in there. I think he did a great job, ran clean and he is a nice guy.

Please, edit your poll, finalize it and then run it. You can't go adding nominee's after people vote, that would not be fair. When you get it all together, we can push this one to the "Thrash Can" and start over with a clean poll. my suggestion is to start a thread with a deadline for nominee's and then edit the original to add your nominee's into the poll... or, just go with what you have, just make it fair.

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:28 am

yeah, we cant forget about vladd! :D

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:31 am

If yer poll ain't got WesE.
Go take a pee.

What's a "Thrash Can"?

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:59 am

Olson.

this year. any year.

Rene Carrasco
TEAM CARRASCO
TEAM CARRASCO

* * * RICHY THE BROWN BOMBER CARRASCO ! * * *

Post by Rene Carrasco » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:40 am

Wesley Tucker,

.....thanx for the cool words about my brother Richy.
..........Yes, he had quite a RAD YEAR ! - Whew !
...................- brother David too ! - - -
[ came back racing after 25 yrs. - 2nd OVERALL 2003 IGSA/WLAC tight slalom category! ] Yeow !

..........................-Rene' C.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

What's the Thrash can?

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:15 pm

Slappy Maxwell wrote:What's a "Thrash Can"?
Slappy,
Instead of deleting posts we now move posts that are inappropriate to a special forum that we named "Thrash Can". Only administrators have access to this forum, but at least like that we have a method of bringing posts back alive again if necessary.

If there is any of the moderators out there who doesn't know about this rule or don't follow it, please contact me for more information on how to do the right commands to move a thread or a separate post to the Thrash can.

/Jani

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:27 pm

I can only see two clear choices for skateboarder of the year 2003. The Worlds weighs heavy in this of course. And on the European side we had the European championships that also weighs heavy for me. Kenny Mollica or Luca Giammarco were both dominant in the Worlds. Maurus Strobel and Luca in the Euro Champs. Since this poll is for "SS" skateboarder of the year 2003, only Luca and Maurus remains. And since Maurus did not attend the Worlds only Luca is left.

So the only thing that could make this poll interesting is to make Kenny register. He would be my second choice since he also have been over in Europe and competed this year. To have competed on the two continents, USA and Europe, is a must to be able to call himself "skateboarder of the year" I think.

USA skateboarder of the year 2003 is Kenny Mollica I guess.

Funny is that I would probably vote Maurus Strobel as European skateboarder of the year 2003 before Luca.

But for World SS skateboarder of the year 2003 I vote Luca Giammarco.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:17 pm

So many redundant choices!

Yeah, Luca used to be fast, enjoyed his last year as a top slalomer, might be a nice guy and all, but he doesn’t have a BS in BS, that allows one to abuse this site!

WesE is the only rational choice here. He’s a helpful, insightful and dedicated person. Moreover, WesE is the moving force of slalomskateboarder.com.

My honorable mention is Slappy Maxwell, whose humorous posts and professional Photoshop skills sent my pants to the drycleaners on several occasions.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Elect the right person, or there will be communism again!

Post by Vlad Popov » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:16 am

As of right now, Luca and WesE are in the lead.

Fellow Americans! Have you ever seen Luca post here? Haven’t you the American pride?

__________________Vote American!

_________________________________Vote WesE!

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:37 am

Why would one need to be a particiapant to win? Does Thrasher magazine's skateboarder of the year only go to subscribers? Does Surfer magazines surfer of the year go to subscribers? No. They are honors given out by the participants (readers) to the person they think deserves it. If you want to ask for votes for "slalomskateboarder.com member of the year" then that'll be a different contest.

Likewise, if the title was "slalom racer" of the year, I might vote for Kenny or Luca.

But since we are being asked to vote on "skateboarder" of the year, the award needs to go to someone who is more of a skateboarder than the people mentioned so far. Mollica, as an all-around ripper, is still in the running but to me, the choice is clear: Steve Olson. (and yes, he is registered here). He lends more credibility to slalom racing than any other slalom participant out there. Many of us wouldn't even have considered slalom had it not been for Olson and Hackett and their crew showing that you can be a real skateboarder and still go through cones. There are other real skateboarders out there that keep slalom from being some silly kook sideshow and instead make it recognizable at just another fun/challenging thing to do on a skateboard, but Olson rises to the top.

-Slim

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:08 am

Rich,

Because the honor is titled "SlalomSkateboarder.com Skateboarder Of The Year", implying that the skateboarder receiving the honor is a registered user of the site.

Slalom is a silly, kook, sideshow...........just like bowlriding, streetstyle, freestyle, downhill and most of skateboarding in general.

Mollica, Olson, Hackett, et al are great athletes..........they're welcome to register (it is free) and participate along with the rest of us.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:47 am

Rick,
steveolson
David Hackett
Click on the names. Would these be two of who you just mentioned?

I like the idea of nominating someone with such a title but I think the nominees should have been voted on first, then put up for vote for the title. I think there are many others who put alot of effort into being good at slalom skateboarding this year and might deserve at least a spot on the list.

RL

agreeeeeaze

Post by RL » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:33 am

I agree with Rich and Glenn.
"Slalom Skater of the Year" could and should be the best and or most popular. Having to be registered is a stupid idea. IMHO
Tough call for me. Mollica or Luca Hummm so close.
Gotta go with Luca because he came such a long way from home. I heard he wasnt feeling well that day and he ripped in TS.
The talk after that race was all about Luca this and Luca that. All about his board and wheels and what else.
I didnt see the race yet but from what I read I was very impressed.

Olson's also super rad
Richy is well, unreal!
Its fun and Im stoked to have this discussion and such close choices.

How about Biggest slalom Villan or most hated?? Only kidding..

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:37 pm

Glenn,

Oops, didn't check to see if Olson and Hackett were registerd, my bad.

I only checked names that were placed in nomination from the previous thread.

We've got a worthy list of candidates, let's not turn this into the Florida elections. Next person who gripes gets the title "2003 SlalomSkateboarder.com Keyboard Racer Of The Year" and has to strap a 1979 Radio Shack TRS-80 on to their deck at the next slalom race.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Re: 2003 SlalomSkateboarder.com Skateboarder Of The Year

Post by Adam Trahan » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:24 pm

Rick Stanziale wrote:You may vote HERE for the 2003 SlalomSkateboarder.com Skateboarder of 2003.
Learn from this poll and use this lesson for the next one.

I support Rick, just run it the way it is.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:15 pm

I agree that it's stupid that you have to be registered on this site to be the 2003 SlalomSkateboarder.com Skateboarder of the year with the reasons mentioned above.

But... in my eyes if you don't register yourself on this site to show your support for promoting our sport internationally you are not worth to be the called "skateboarder of the year" anyway.

I don't know what reason Kenny might have not to. I can only think of one. And for this I will say as I have said before. This is a site for promoting slalom skateboarding internationally. The site is formed and run by all of us posting here. It's not a one man show. If it was, me too, I wouldn't be here. Moderators are needed but they come and go. The international slalom scene stay and is in need of "official" support from as many slalom rats as possible out there.

Kenny, the keys are in front of you. There is no cone penalty by hitting them. ;)

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:53 pm

There's always the possibility that some people have better things to do than sit around typing messages on the computer! I wish I was one of those people.

BTW, I don't see how participation here promotes the sport: we're simply preaching to the choir here.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:54 pm

When I saw Jack Smith and WesE getting some votes I realized there's another way of looking at "skateboarder of the year". I have been looking myself blind on athletic big competition achievements but it's true that if you look at it like...

"Who has been the most important person for the international skateboard slalom scene in 2003"

...it gets to be a whole new ball game. Then we suddenly have important race organizers, equipement manufacturers and even keyboard racers getting into the game as well. Maybe for next year we need more categories. Everyone starting with...

2003 SlalomSkateboarder.com

... most important person for the international skateboard slalom scene
Skater, Organizer, Manufacturer, Sponsor, Key racer, you name it.

... Pro racer of the year
Competition achievement

... best organized international competition
International competition organizers

... slalom skateboard product of the year
Manufacturers of Skateboards, Trucks, wheels, timing equipment, safety equipement, you name it.

... best slalom skateboard film
Film producers.

... rookie of the year
Competition achievement for first Pro season

There could be more of course. I think it's funny and gives us something to discuss and argue about towards the end of the season.

Happy new year! :)

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:46 pm

Rich, I think participation here (and any other skateboard slalom forum) promotes the sport.

Examples:
- The Swedish slalom skateboard site www.EttSexEtt.com is a site that have promoted the sport in Sweden. They have results and info from their weekly races and a season cup. People chat and push each other to new heights and come to training sessions and races. The skaters like it. I.e. they continue to skate slalom and promote the sport.

- This site gave me the motivation of doing slalom skateboard films. I started out by participating and now I hope I promote our sport with my films.

- Both sites are places I send people who are intersted in knowing more about slalom skateboarding. That promotes the sport. Seeing Luca as registered member on this site promotes the sport even if his writer skills are not.

The last point is where the "key racers" are important. Looking at a dead forum will motivate no one. I think key racers in that sense can be good promoters of the sport just as well as a manufacturer, organizer, journalist, photographer, sponsor, competing racer, slalom cruiser, audience, supporting slalom skateboard parent a.s.o. This doesn't mean you have to do all of these things to be a good promoter of the sport. Any one of these (and many others I left out) will do. And don't be sad for not being a keyboard racer. It's not the amount of the text that is important. Your participation and comments are important for this forum and promotes the sport too. Just look at Luca. He is a very bad keyboard racer. Even if we all where to write in Italian. But he has other qualities. I like to write but I'm a very bad Slalom World Champion. What I want to say is that we all promote the sport by the things we are doing no matter how small they may be. Participating here is one of those small things.

P.S. By the way. Typing messages on a computer is my job. Many of my hobbies too I'm afraid.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:15 am

Rich Stephens wrote:There's always the possibility that some people have better things to do than sit around typing messages on the computer! I wish I was one of those people.

BTW, I don't see how participation here promotes the sport: we're simply preaching to the choir here.
Quote of the day.

Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher
Paul Keleher

Post by Paul Keleher » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:03 am

I would like to propose

Michael Stride.

Not only is he Open Class TS world Champ, but without Michael the slalom following in the UK would be very small, He has been Solely responsible for bringing quality product into the UK.

such as

3DM
Pocket Pistol
Bahne
Tracker
ROE PS
Turner ( Before the change!)

plus several other Non Slalom related brands

He is also a regular Poster on this site

Come on!!,

add him to the list

Paul K

Gianluca Ferrero

how does it work the poll and vote about the SK8BRD OF THE .

Post by Gianluca Ferrero » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:14 pm

ricki how is possible to vote,since clicking on HERE doesn't move anything?

pres@coniskate.it
gianluca ferrero

we,as federation would like to vote for the Italian Champion Luca Giammarco,also if the others,from Vlad to Jack should be voted if we can used several ones.