Unweildy newsgroup?

Discussion Forum
Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Unweildy newsgroup?

Post by Erin Riffel » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:49 am

Well, at first glance this newgroup looks pretty tantalizing with its many and various categories related to slalom. But after checking in for a while, it would seem that perhaps there are too many categories as a lot of the sections have very few people posting... disappointing for a newbie.

I tryed to see if anything was happening these days in Seattle area, for example, but not a peep from anyone on that board.

Just a thought that maybe it is just spreading slalom skaters too thin to offer so many areas in which to post and read posts. Quality not quantity perhaps?!

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:40 am

Erin, my good friend Daniel Knopf an awesome vert rollerskater and skateboard slalomer is living in Vancouver since a few months. Send me a private message through this website if you are interested and I can hook you up with each other. He will be happy to have someone to slalom with!

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Re: Unweildy newsgroup?

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:18 pm

Erin Riffel wrote:Well, at first glance this newgroup looks pretty tantalizing with its many and various categories related to slalom. But after checking in for a while, it would seem that perhaps there are too many categories as a lot of the sections have very few people posting... disappointing for a newbie.

I tryed to see if anything was happening these days in Seattle area, for example, but not a peep from anyone on that board.

Just a thought that maybe it is just spreading slalom skaters too thin to offer so many areas in which to post and read posts. Quality not quantity perhaps?!
Hello Erin,

Thanks for the kind words.

I would like to point out that there is another newsgroup you may want to check out, www.ncdsa.com probably more to your likening.

Have fun,

adam

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:01 pm

Erin,
Did you try posting something yourself in the Seattle-area forum (or Northwest, or whatever it's called)? Sometimes that's all it takes to "resurrect" the discussion. For example, when I check this site, I usually just look for the forums that have been active in the last few days. Now, granted, that didn't work for you in this case, but who knows? Maybe the people in Seattle do what I do and would have seen your post and responded to it.

I'm a little surprised at Adam's response to you (I haven't met him personally, but I've sort of gathered that he's had some, um, differences of opinion with NCDSA over the years). I think there's helpful info here for a newbie. I also found it overwhelming at first. But I got used to it, and I'm sure you could too.

Both NCDSA and this site have strengths and weaknesses. NCDSA is somewhat more "current events," while this site is great for seeing how a topic progresses over time. Many of the old posts and even the "dead" topics can be very helpful even months or years after the fact. Sure, there's a TON of stuff here, but that's intentional. Part of this site's purpose, as I understand it, is to serve as an archive of sorts.

Good luck in finding people to skate with and learn from. And as always, if nothing else, just keep practicing and people may just find *you*.

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:36 am

Chris Eggers wrote:Erin, my good friend Daniel Knopf an awesome vert rollerskater and skateboard slalomer is living in Vancouver since a few months. Send me a private message through this website if you are interested and I can hook you up with each other. He will be happy to have someone to slalom with!
Hey Chris, thanks for your reply .... I would like to PM you but, unlike other forums, this one doesn't give me the option... no button marked PM under each person's post....what's a girl to do??!!

Anyways, I am a major newbie to slalom but I certainly would be in there if your pal or someone else here in town was to organize some slalom practice.

cheers,
Erin

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:11 pm

Erin Riffel wrote:I would like to PM you but, unlike other forums, this one doesn't give me the option... no button marked PM under each person's post....what's a girl to do??!!
Hi Erin,

When we launched the update of this forum I thought there were too many icons below each post. Instead of having links to everybody's possible www, msn, yahoo etc I intended to put just one link on the person to the profile, but never managed. Anyway, open up the persons profile page and you'll find what you need there.

To PM all you need is the exact name of the person. It's easy to just copy and paste the name into PM.

/Jani

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:53 pm

Erin,
I'll hook you up with the PM link for Chris:

privmsg.php?mode=post&u=48

Q

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:48 pm

OK, Erin, it is no secret anyway, just write me an email to sk8chris@web.de

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:40 pm

Jani Soderhall wrote:When we launched the update of this forum I thought there were too many icons below each post. Instead of having links to everybody's possible www, msn, yahoo etc I intended to put just one link on the person to the profile, but never managed. Anyway, open up the persons profile page and you'll find what you need there.
Jani, I have always thought it was a bad idea to remove the PM and WWW function icons. Also, the way to view someone’s profile may not be very obvious.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:49 am

I'm not ready yet. I just ran out of time.

/Jani