A prodigal son returns

Discussion Forum
Brian Morgan

A prodigal son returns

Post by Brian Morgan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:20 am

Years ago while squandering my youth, the one sport I stayed with through thick and thin was skateboarding.
I read the mags and dreamed a little bit but what kept me there was the speed rush.
Others tricked better, slalomed bolder, but I was fast!

I got older, broke a few things while riding ramps and tricking, gave up the long board to traffic and ultimately shelved it until I moved back to the Outer Banks of North Carolina where the desire surfaced again.
The hills don't exist but the atmosphere is intoxicating.
I spend my time between Richmond Virginia (where I mostly teach my teenage daughters to skate and build boards) and the Outer Banks (where I mostly teach them to surf).
Now between falling off of ramps and trying to drown myself, I introduce people to cruising a smooth ride, driving the board without putting a foot on the ground and ultimately, slaloming down to the beach or store with surfboard or package in tow.
I can't ollie, and my air time is limited but that is okay.
I still love to go fast and I still love this sport.
I look forward to trying my hand at some tight slalom for the joy knowing that winning isn't the only thing anymore.
For me, its all about the ride and the good people I have met since getting back into it.
With luck I will see you around.
Regards,
Brian

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:43 am

...well how cool is that.

You are in a good place.

Many of us have stories similiar to yours.

adam

Brian Morgan

Post by Brian Morgan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:29 am

I have a bag of home-brew cones (2" PVC neon pipe cut into 6" sections spray painted neon orange) and a three hundred foot tape I keep in the back of the truck.
There are a couple of places close by the Richmond and Outer Banks locations that are pretty good low-grade places to lay out some side-by-side outlaw if anyone is interested.
I have been checking out the DC forum as well for a bit of info (I went to HS in Fairfax, anyone remember Honeywell hill behind where Tysons II is now?). Bunch of ditches we used to skate off of Rt. 7 and in Arlington that were brought to mind when I was looking the posts over.
And there was a killer hill across Kirby Rd. from Chesterbrook Rd. that had a gravity gut check at the bottom you had to come out of before making a hard turn at the end......
New places to check out closer to home now.
Any other folks in Richmond or OBX online?

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:11 pm

I was in Avon (OBX) a month ago and would have loved to hook up W/ a slolam session Did lottsa flatland pumping in Hatteras and the break was 6-8 ft!!!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Richmond-Area

Post by Andy Bittner » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:15 pm

I'm not certain whether there's anyone in Richmond or on the Outer Banks, but Dave Morris and sons are in the VaB-area.

Brian Morgan

Post by Brian Morgan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:27 pm

Richmond is a little thin. Some people in the west end might be into it now that the burbs are thickening up.
Going to take a bit of cultivation of the older types and the ones who commute downtown by board which is satisfying in its own way.
Otherwise it is worth your life to skatebikerun on most of the roads hereabouts.
Dave, hope you read this. I am looking into the VaB area for business and would enjoy meeting you for some road time and intel some evening if you are available.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:07 pm

Brian,

Come up to DC for an Outlaw race. Slalom and downhill is happening in the DC area. Lot of skaters.

I have skated hills is the Outerbanks around Southern Shores and a few places in Duck.

Hit Sea shore state park off of 60th street in Virginia Beach. Really fun cruise from the gate down to the boat ramp.

Brian Morgan

Post by Brian Morgan » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:49 pm

Which is the best one of the forums for checking dates/times/locations?
Drop me a line with the next couple of dates and I will make arrangements to head north.
Please give me an idea of the expected course length/grade so I can have what I need ahead of time.
Scratch that.
I'll just dump the whole mess in the truck.
Also, I can set your expectations low while I still ramp up and reduce the overall embarassment factor.