Top Speed Cyberchallenge new cyber format

Discussion Forum
Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Top Speed Cyberchallenge new cyber format

Post by Etienne de Bary » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:34 pm

hi,

There is a new cyberchallenge that has started now on Riderz forum, it is meant to determine the maximum speed possible for such rider, such spot, such slope, such equipement and such conespacing.
No self-generated speed here, one is free to use the slope and all conditions that he thinks will suit him better, just go as fast as you can, and pass 20 cones in line, 1/10th penalty, 4 cones down max.
Just do not kill yourself ;)

all rules and posting http://www.riderz.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11799

US language and units are accepted
Last edited by Etienne de Bary on Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:45 am

same conespacing all along, must be specified as the aim of the thiong is also to see what condition is fastest...

Guillaume Saint-Criq

Post by Guillaume Saint-Criq » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:41 pm

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:01 pm

thank you Guillaume (the php system of Riderz has been updated)

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:52 pm

I think 3 flat is possible with some training. I'm getting a new timer soon.

We should videotape low threes. I don't trust online times unless they have been validated in the real world... like my online Cyber time against Michael Dong's online Cyber time two years ago. ~0.1-second difference in both cases.
There are some discrepancies between virtual heroism and the real-world back-of-the-pack performance. A lot of it is nothing but a bunch of cheap self-serving ego-tickling inferiority-complex driven crap.

I think a video could be a substitute for the real world validation.

Thoughts?

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:56 am

Can you trust a video playing speed after compression ? (i wouldn't say so...)

Was it same spot, deck, set-up, ... as your previous 3.28 ?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:57 am

Double cheating is less likely. Anyone can post any time. But to do that AND post a cheating video...maybe. But less likely.

Belorussian slalom board. Belorussian Bennets. Californian Grippins and ABEC 11 bearings and bushings. Walker Lane. Springfield. Virginia. USA.

It's been a few months. I'll start training soon.

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:21 am

i didn't mean cheating, i just thought it wouldn't help, i can't imagine myself trying to time a run from a .mpg, i'd get a different result each time.

i can post your time on Riderz, but we like it when you show up down there i should say... :)

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:38 pm

Last time I tried this (in May I think) I did exactly that. But since I skated alone I put the camcorder on the ground and then the timer in front of it, so that you could see the timer starting, running and stopping while I was running the course. I did this mostly to get some feedback to what it actually looked like when I was running cones, but also to post if I did any fast times.

Two things made the video pretty useless, first is even though I trust people I must admit it felt sketchy leaving a camera and a laptop on the ground while walking up the hill. So I didn't do more than a few runs. Second out is that since no one was zooming and the timer filled half of the screen the rider was about 1 pixel large the first 10 cones and then grew rapidly so that only the knees showed at the last 3 cones.

I think I need someone to handle the camera, part from that, a good idea.

3.19 using grippins, I'm impressed! I felt anything under 3.50 using them was scary compared to cambrias. Have you tried noschoolz?

New timer, what kind are we talking about? I'm building a wireless unit for training, though it needs some tuning to get the accuracy. Check it out at http://www.ettsexett.com/slalom/wireless/wireless.html

This post got too long. Sorry.

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:32 pm

i bring a pen and a note pad to the sessions, and chalk, yet sometimes i realise i forgot something ;)

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:38 pm

Marcus Seyffarth wrote:I'm building a wireless unit for training, though it needs some tuning to get the accuracy. Check it out at http://www.ettsexett.com/slalom/wireless/wireless.html
interesting...

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:35 pm

Perhaps I'll add that if I get it to work accurate I'll translate the manual how to build it... As for now it works but the accuracy is less than .5 seconds == useless. All in all it costs less than 1000SEK ~ 110€ to build it

Steve Evans
SSS - BADLANDS
SSS - BADLANDS

Post by Steve Evans » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:22 pm

Marcus please post a translated version so the US boyz can play with it too!

Congrats on the new baby!

My vertigo has left as of yesterday! Ran a 50 cone 6' offset course for about 1.5 hrs, I just got to get used to the speed again.

Evans (SSS) Badlands

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Vertigo

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:11 am

Hey Steve!

Glad to hear it. i just asked Maysey last week and said it was still hanging around.

Congrats also on helping Mike reach his poetential. he was overdue and has endured a few setbacks over the last couple of years.

All the best!
Many Happy Pumps!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:04 am

I wish NoSchoolz and Cambrias weren't slow. I like them better... but they are.

I'm getting wired...sold my wireless. TraKKmate is my new mate. $150.

A baby? Cool! :D

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:01 pm

Proud father since two weeks! :D

Why did you sell the wireless, no good? What brand, where did you get it? Carrying wire sucks... Thought you had a trakmate since way back.

I felt that cambrias are more controlable, if they are slow it's just about getting a steeper hill... I have a new spot that will be super fast I think. Only problem is it's the (pretty wide) sidewalk of a road that has pretty heavy traffic going the opposite direction @ 40mph. No bailing, no cone spraying...

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

New Baby

Post by Claude Regnier » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:22 pm

Marcus, what was the date? My second grandson was Born on September 6. I remember you saying early september when you said you couldn't make Morro Bay.

Gongrats and Good Luck!
Many Happy Pumps!

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:02 am

Our hills are somewhat flat. Grippins carry more momentum. + The bad surface's too much for the Cambrias. I'll keep trying.

I used DC/DC Trakmate for Cyber slalom a couple of years back. It was strange to see how much advantage 130 mm Trackers had over 106 mm...PVDs over Trackers, Falshbacks over Avalons, ect. It was the ultimate test for every single thing in the set-up. This cyber is becoming an equipment test as well. I'd never thought the heavy wheel would be quicker then the modern Cripto.

I have been using a Mycron timer, but am switching to a Trakmate. I don't trust wireless timers...and hope I can get the same results with a Trakmate...

Trakmate takes no longer then 5 minutes to set-up. And everyone MUST have a car in NoVA, so driving around some wires is ok. ;)

See you on Riderz.

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:59 pm

Tried a MyChron this winter after seeing that Gary Fluitt used one at the worlds in 2004. It looked slick but I never got it to work properly and didn't trust it. Sent it back after 10 days... Hope you get the same results with the new trakmate!