Improving Logistics- helping traveling competitors

Discussion Forum
John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sat Oct 26, 2002 6:25 pm

I think it would be a big help to our sport if when we have contests that we set a time where an airport pick up could be arranged prior to the contest...or perhaps give a contact name of someone who could arrange a pick up.

This would especially encourage younger foreign skaters (yes even younger women) to travel and skate.

When I traveled to France to skate outside of the USA for the first time, I was met at the Airport by Jani Soderhall- who was kind enough to have me as a guest in his house to keep my traveling expenses to a minimum.

When traveling to Switzerland to compete the second year I was met at the Airport by the promoter Guido Sidler. I was very thankful for the hospitality.

When I traveled to France for the Pyrenee's games allteh athletes were picked up by motorcoaches (this is the extreme and certainly not expected).

But a simple ride to and from the airport from the race site really makes the trip costs more predictable - just food airfare, entry fee, hotel. I also feel that if at all possible foreign skaters should be the first ones to be paired with skaters (or locals) who have extra hotel crash space (yes floor space counts) to help defray the costs.

George Gould
AZ G.R.S.
AZ G.R.S.

Post by George Gould » Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:17 pm

everything helps when i have to travel. Jack Smith/PD/Gary F, were a big help explaining Morro Bay. there is nothing like local knowledge, if just where not to go! when Henry put on the 2001 L/C there was a dinner posted by Adam (NCDSA) and Henry listed hotels. that was a big help. the maps help.
local information rules! the best burrito, the hardware store, whatever. i wish there was better networking among us.

for you So. Cal racers driving next year for New Mexico (the Bear) the party will be at my house right off I -40 50 minutes east of Flagstaff and then i'm going too, my roof is completed now. a few racers took advantage of my offer and ate Kims lasagna listened to music and talked skateboads for a few hours. we had a great time, plan accordingly and i will take you to some fun hills. thanks, travel safe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: George Gould on 2002-11-08 14:18 ]</font>