Slalom Is Moving Away FAST From "Beef Stew"

Discussion Forum
Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Slalom Is Moving Away FAST From "Beef Stew"

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:14 pm

I am not superstitious and don't believe the old nonsense that talking about something will make it happen. So, making this observation for me is not a harbinger of doom or something terrible that'll lead to bad things.

I went to Luna this weekend and skated and watched skating for two days. Dozens of skateboarders all ripped that hill with abandon and what do you know? Not a single major spill, no blood, no scrapes and no pain.

I will be honest. One skater did take a header during a practice run on Saturday, but got up and appeared unscathed. I also believe there was one other uneventful bail Friday night, but I didn't see it and can safely assume it was not a factor in someone continuing to race. But when I say "major spill," I think y'all know what I'm talking about.

There was also racing in New England at the first Farm Outlaw event and at Pump Station in Poway. No reports of calamities or maladies. Now, I realize a few might read this and say, "yeah, so?" It's indicative, though, of how far this sport has come in just a very short time. Three years ago it wasn't a question if someone would fall and get hurt at a race, it was a question of when and how bad? Now, a serious beef is almost a spectacle as it becomes more and more rare at our events. Conversely, the speeds, reckless abandon and skill of the racers improve.

Without getting too technical, the reasons for all this is two-fold: vastly improved skaters and no doubt vastly improved equipment. Wheels are faster but grippier, trucks are more responsive yet also more stable and boards perform for what the skater wants intstead of the skater conforming to what the board will do. More skaters now are also taking slalom as a serious endeavor and training, conditioning and practicing with slalom as the mainstay of their skating efforts as opposed to something to do when the park is closed. It all adds up to a lot more speed and a lot less damage. None of this, however, has anything to do with safety equipment. Pads and helmets are great when you do bail. This, though, is about the declining incidence of having to rely on those same pads and helmets. That's an incredibly good thing.

In the long run this might be the single greatest trend that will help slalom become more established and widespread. If spectators watch slalom and see people racing instead of avoiding a fall, then the sport will be more of a challenge and less of a fear factor kind of thing. It doesn't mean slalom will attract wimps who are afraid to fall, but it could mean it'll attract determined athletes wanting to compete at a high level in an intense yet sane environment.

Now, I know you people. If there's a heavy beef in the next six months at a race or a session, someone will blame me for talking about it. So be it. But as I said, I'm not superstitious. What is going on in this sport is a very important trend and needs to be nurtured and recognized. It's crucial that slalom skateboard racers realize that getting faster and more consistent through the cones does not necessarily mean having to hang it out over the edge and losing control. Speed and control are not only attainable, they seem to be an irreversible trend.

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Age Factor

Post by Andy Bittner » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:32 pm

Wesley, Your very astute observations lead me to also wonder whether the average age of the racers has gotten younger, and whether younger skaters rebound from "heavy" falls faster than us old folk.

Gary Fluitt
asphaltplayground.com
asphaltplayground.com

Beef Stu

Post by Gary Fluitt » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:04 am

I don't know why we're not getting spanked down for the asphalt half gainer like we all were a couple of years ago, but I think you're right that it is happening less.
I think it has more to do with trucks and race experience. I think it has nothing to do with the demographics. Wait a sec. Yes it does have to do with demographics. It's still mostly the same bunch of old farts, and friends of old farts that are getting more and more experience. The distribution of newbees is going down, experience (days on course) is going up, and therefore the MTBD (mean-time-between-diggers) is gently rising. I'm sure there is an illustrative graph in this concept somewhere.

There are still very few kids and juniors. And that my friend is the harbinger of impending doom.

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:21 am

just remember,its out there waiting,and when you least expect it,...........expect it.cf
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Marcos Soulsby-Monroy

Post by Marcos Soulsby-Monroy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:33 pm

Wesley Tucker Posted: 19 Apr 2005 12:14 Post subject: Slalom Is Moving Away FAST From "Beef Stew"

Now, I know you people. If there's a heavy beef in the next six months at a race or a session, someone will blame me for talking about it. So be it. But as I said, I'm not superstitious. What is going on in this sport is a very important trend and needs to be nurtured and recognized. It's crucial that slalom skateboard racers realize that getting faster and more consistent through the cones does not necessarily mean having to hang it out over the edge and losing control. Speed and control are not only attainable, they seem to be an irreversible trend.

Eddy Martinez may have a torn meniscous and will need fluid drained out of his knee, he did it at Luna and it is ALL Weslay Tucker's FAULT!!!!!! ":) Seriously; It looks like after the draining Eddy will be fine and ready for Red Clay. My best wishes to my teamate for a speedy recovery.

Marcos
Texas Outlaws
[/img]

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:56 pm

Marcos,

He was complaining about his knee when he got there Friday. Can't blame that on ME!

But let's be honest: after that weekend of carousing, what you're really saying is Eddy has to get his hollow leg emptied before Athens!

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Falls & Such

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:16 pm

I think you're on to something. Don't forget I haven't been out as much either so that also helps the numbers.

Also I think allround the course setting is much better and because more and more people are out regular they are also able to handle what they see and are faced with.

I'll try not to change the stats when I attend Red Clay but you have to consider I've been on my Slalom board twice (fri, sat last wekend) and likely won't be back on it till I get to Athens.

Another thing is also the fact that many people are giving advice and tips so the learning curve and equipment info is more widely available. Sorry if already dais some of this but I don't have time to read it all.

What I have a hard time accepting is that very many people are not wearing some form of safety equipment. At least something, somewhere. As we all know with Slalom, when you go down from a sliding rear end it happens pretty quick.

Sk8Safe
Many Happy Pumps!

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:38 pm

Wes did not put the hex,voodoo or spell or curse on me, this was an accident that happened in the gym. But Wes did share all the injuries and illness he has sustained over the years. It was great to see him skate again. As for my knee I will brace it up and skate in JoJa. The Orthopod will decide what happens on Wednesday. I would be totally bummed to be out for a while if I require surgery. But these things happen. Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:20 pm

Just to show I'm not superstitious, I took a "minor" bail Saturday at Hobby Park. I got a good roll and came away about unscathed. All that has me really pissed is I slammed my hand AGAIN. I cracked a bone in it at West Virginia six months ago and bounced it again yesterday:

That blue stuff on the palm is bruising across from the little finger knuckle to the ring finger. Oh, well, no pain, no gain. It's not broken, by the way. I have full motion in the fingers with no pain except for the swelling that won't let me close it into a tight fist.

I guess, though, I'm gonna have to cancel that Beethoven/Lizst recital I had next week at Carnegie Hall.

This, though, HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ME TALKING ABOUT FEWER BAILS EARLIER THIS WEEK!!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue May 03, 2005 3:13 am

Red Clay:

A few scrapes from Trade Street, but I didn't see a major tumble all day Saturday.

Claude, I will say this about safety equipment in Georgia. Some skaters were pretty loose with the pads, but I don't think I saw anyone take a drop Friday or Saturday without a lid. The message is getting out: be good to the skull or be gone.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Thu May 05, 2005 5:32 am

Well I saw the Doc today and they are scheduling me for an Arthroscopy with a menisectomy for next week. In the mean time I will cruise around with a brace. Probably won't compete again until July. The Doc told me my skating days are pretty much over. Yea right dude. I am too stoked to quit, plus I am finally learning how to pump that damm board. You can not extinguish the fire that is burning inside of me. Nothing that penicillin can't cure. Will keep you bros updated. Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Eric Brammer

Bum Knee

Post by Eric Brammer » Thu May 05, 2005 6:05 am

Eddy, don't give up, just respect your limits, and work within them. The pain is bothersome, but not (usually) enough to stop one from skateboarding. Running off the board, um, that's an issue... But Pumping, Steering, Haulin' A$$, those things you'll be well able to do. I miss doing Colemans on Cue, have to use them only for E--Stops or plan them for days when things are flexing smoothly. I wish I could still Push Fast, especially on courses with short, flat roll-ins. But all-in-all, I can still do most of the things I want to do on a Skateboard, and even some stuff on my Snowboards, too.
Stretch, eat right, ICE when needed, maybe take Glucosimine... Don't go and push Too Hard, just keep moving, and listen to that knee when it yelps. You'll still be Stoked on Skating, and I think you'll find that that you won't take it for granted! :-)
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Laura Bissell
Laura Bissell
Laura Bissell

Post by Laura Bissell » Fri May 06, 2005 5:13 pm

Awe, don't worry Eddy. You didn't want kids anyway- they suck. And you can always get a reversal of that menisectomy- they just reconnect the wires like hot wiring a car. ;)

But really... still got your broken parts in my prayers. ;)

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Knee's, EH!

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri May 06, 2005 5:33 pm

Eddy you'll be just fine. I've had to Major & 2 minors (one of each on each). You just to take your time and do some decent rehab. Like PSR said you just have to pick and choose a little more carefully.

Those knee's of mine contributed heavily to the amount of fun I have looking up at people from the other end of my board, EH! Now my wrist and shoulder well that's another story.

Take Care, We'll look into to see how things went when I get back from Paris.
Many Happy Pumps!

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Sat May 07, 2005 11:23 am

Eddy,
Like Claude..I've had about every joint in my body "corrected" And the modern ways of repairing meniscus is the easiest rehab I've had!! 6 daze after getting my left knee done I was playing volleyball (not aggressively mind you...within 3 weeks it was as if nothing happened..other than my knee felt better than it had in years!!
good luck from a greengo!
Enjoy,
Dave G
P.S penicilin won't help
ENJOY!! (while you can)

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Sun May 08, 2005 9:07 pm

Thanks bros. I will keep you guys updated on my progress. I have a feeling I am going to be alot faster and leaner after this adventure. + I have an ACE in my corner? Your Amigo Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Chris Linford

Post by Chris Linford » Fri May 13, 2005 3:11 pm

No pain no gain.
Why am I not visable this year?

As a Pro skater the courses offer no challenge to me. Munich reported that easy courses get more people involved, but crap courses put good skaters from competing.
If I start football I would not expect the goal to be larger, the pitch smaller, and the ball more kickable. If I was competing in the world cup where would I stand, would I expect to compete against Beckham etc or would I compete against my level. Would I expect to curve the ball in the same way he does? I could go on and on with examples and will later if required.
Is this not what the Open section is for?, beginners who want to improve or try it out.

Conclusion
I have an old saying from Paul Price (he won't remember it):
"if you do not stick to the bed in the morning (with blood) then you have not skated hard enough"

Chris