Slalom for a Gimp

Discussion Forum
Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:55 am

Hey guys,

I was wondering what sort of excercising I can do to build up my legs to slalom again. Since I've been skating for so long, getting into slalom was a smooth transition, but now that I'm out of commission for at least a year, I have no muscle left in my leg at all. I start rehab next week, and I plan on working my rehab to get myself back to skating. Any suggestions??

Regards,
"Brain"
Wobbler

George Gould
AZ G.R.S.
AZ G.R.S.

Post by George Gould » Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:01 pm

not like i am some kind a Dr. or anything. i have gone through an extended re-hab for an ankle. the first time wasn't successful and the second after i re-injured it, i really stuck with it. it hurts like hell sometimes but do it. find a good rehab person, which means you are going to hate their guts. also i think the better off the rest of your body is, the better off you will be. free weights, start lifting! along with lifting, stretch to stay limber. lifting is one way to improve your overall bone density, they even have grandma lifting. you will heal faster if you lift and i am talking about the upper body. good luck and i will keep your healing in my prayers, positive thoughts really work too!

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Nov 22, 2002 7:19 pm

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/10402. ... e_exercise

also

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1970502965

I had a great device that I used since I was 3 years old. It was a set of arched rails that had a platform which was attached to each end by 1/4 inch thick elastic bands.

You rode it skate paraallel stance and rocked back and forth to get a pump going. You could also do it with one leg if you were good at it.

Used to play on that thing for hours while watching TV. I'm sure it would help. Slalom skateboarding feels very similar to this thing- especailly the hip movements required for tight technical slalom.

It was called The Ski Trainer.

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Post by Pat Chewning » Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:09 am

Another useful exercise is the Bongo Board.

http://www.bodytrends.com/ftrbongo.htm

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:20 pm

Right now, I'm not able to stand on my own. I have a couple of months before I get full weight bearing on my leg. Almost all of my leg muscles have deteriated completely, because of the atrophy, as well as the muscles tears I suffered from surgery and from the break in general. I hope to be standing and walking with a cane in another 3 months. Right now i'm working using Isometrics to get my leg back together. Has anybody else used Isometrics to build muscle? What sort of excercises do you do?

Thanks for all your help everybody!!

Regards,
"Brain"
Wobbler

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:56 pm

When I have to rehab after a catastrophic accident...the Total Gym is one of the best things for it.

You can't cheat- and it is always around for you to use.

Best thing for you to rebuild your quads would be one legged incline squats on a shallow incline with the Total Gym.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:03 am

Brian, first of all sorry about the injury. Iknow where your coming from. 4 knee surgeries and a few other part repaired.

I would suggest a bike. You can pick up a recumbent exersixe bike for 200 or so. It will work your muscle and not do any load bearing damage. Make sure you have enough bend in your knee. i don't know the damaged area we are talking about.

Isometrics work, mostly done against a wall or couch to work the area. Again no extra muscle strain. Once you can stand and have some strenth the quads exercise against a wall will also work good. Simply put your back against a wall and lower yourself down and hold.

The Balance board is also very good but I don't reccommend ti until you have addquate strength developed. Mostly because of the sudden loss of balance that occurs from fatigue during exercise or activity. If you have a bar to hold on too as you balance then the danger is decreased.

I think that's it. As previously stated (in my e-mail to you) if you have any questions???????

Brian Morris

Post by Brian Morris » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:09 pm

Is that the thing that you slide yourself up and down on that track with the cables and handles? I think I have something like that. Your supposed to use your own body weight to excercise, but the higher you raise the incline, the more difficult it becomes? If so, I have one of them burried in a closet around here.

Regards,
"Brain"
On 2002-11-24 16:56, John Gilmour wrote:
When I have to rehab after a catastrophic accident...the Total Gym is one of the best things for it.

You can't cheat- and it is always around for you to use.

Best thing for you to rebuild your quads would be one legged incline squats on a shallow incline with the Total Gym.
Wobbler

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:27 am

The key to the total gym is to have Christie Brinkley exercise with you.
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Gary Fluitt
asphaltplayground.com
asphaltplayground.com

rehab

Post by Gary Fluitt » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:01 am

Brian,
6 weeks ago, I couldn't walk without a splint or a crutch. I'm certain that my rehab is way casual comparred to what you're going to have to do. But hang in there man, you'll be skating again before you know it.

I have to agree with Claude. The bike is your friend. If you can't bear body weight yet, there is not a lot you can do with weights and stuff, but as soon as you have enough range of motion to get on a stationary bike DO IT. This has been a life saver for me. I'm doing about 30 miles a week, and my legs are probably stronger now than when I went into the OR.

The VMO is that hardest muscle to get going again in my experience. This is the muscle just above your knee cap on the inside of your leg. It's a big muscle and it really shuts down when you have knee surgery. I don't know what kind of tendon/bone damage you had, but your surgeon should have a protocal for the exact types of exercises at the precise weeks following your surgery. This is the protocal you should follow religiously, and with the help of a cute Physical Therapist.

Don't take advice from a bunch of aging yahoos like me. Get the right advice from your surgeon or physical therapist.

For instance, I can do 150 lb leg presses, Hamstring curls, even squats. But a quad extension exercise is a huge no-no right now because of the specifics of the graft of the ACL in my knee. So just be careful with us armchair Marcus Welby's. We could screw you up with our good intentions.

Good luck.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:09 am

Be careful with "Total Gym" type apparatii...

I practically busted a nut using one.

Q

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:37 am

Fluitt is right, you gotta get advice SPECIFIC to your inury and CURRENT physical condition. The total gym is used by a lot of PT's so if you can get one cheap....do it...and you can do the same exercises at home that the PT does to you in his office...with the PT's consent of course.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=58103
john gilmour

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:45 pm

Brian,
Having several injuries/surgerys, I can't agree more, with the advice to get trueley knowledgable reccomendations from your attending physicians/therapists etc...If they're worth their salt, you should trust them and do as instructed.. If not, get a second opinion by referral!!! Don't over do it, and be patient!!!! Using the wrong muscles, or over using the correct ones can lame you for life, or at least set your progress back!!!!!
ENJOY!! (while you can)

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:37 pm

I'm in for an MRI on the left shoulder on Easter Sunday. That will get fixed so I can use crutches....alsoa good idea so my shoulder will have more time to rehab before I'm walking otherwise....the first "superman fall" will blow it out.

Gary- Spoke with my Surgeon today and he said they now have a way to screen cadaver grafts for Hep C and HIV. says its very safe.... but you could get chlamydia from the nurses after the operation.

I still think I want to remain 100% Gilmour though.... so I think I may go for the harvest of my own tendon.
john gilmour

Mike Ohm

Rehab

Post by Mike Ohm » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:56 pm

If you can find a PT to teach you how to do Core Strenghtening, hire them. If they work Core Strengthening into your rehab you will recover faster and be stronger in the long run. Continuing with Core Strengthening will also help keep injuries down and hopefully your speed up.

Hint: Core Strengthening does not prevent you from hitting hay bails or trees. Thats for you Gary and Claude! HaHa.

Dave Gale
Dave Gale
Dave Gale

Post by Dave Gale » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:57 am

Ohm's on to it BIG!!! Most of the co.s here offer "core strenghtening " therapy for their guide staff The belief is less on the job injuries and all around better health!
ENJOY!! (while you can)