Yahoo slalom class

Discussion Forum
Gary Holl
Roe-Racing
Roe-Racing

Post by Gary Holl » Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:07 am

YAHOO slalom class: we held the last class today. Four weeks ago none of the "students" had ever been on a skateboard. Today they were pushing around like they have been riding for months. The success of this program was because of the dedication and time of a few people and the generous donations of others.

I want to publicly thank John Kim, HC and Julius for their time. I want to thank Bahne, COMET, turner, Tracker, Seismic, Bell, G&S,ICK & Pleasure Tools for the product. Also, Attila and Erik Takaoka for the donation of their personal equipment.

I urge everyone reading this to set up a beginners slalom class. If you can tie it in to a Parks and Rec, a Company, YMCA or other Youth Organization I guarantee you'll have a great time.
John is going to keep running a "Yahoo Skateboard Club" on Wednesday's to keep everyone rolling along.

I plan on approaching the Athletic Director here at Apple so I can teach a similar class early next spring.

-Gary Holl-
Team turner  

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:10 am

This sounds great! I have plans on something similar. Gary or anyone else with an opinion. Any tips about about how to organize beginner classes for slalom? What to start with and so on. Should one go directly for a simple mini course of 5-6 cones? Timing runs from the beginning? Or is there need for some technical info first about pumping and practicing it? Any tips on funny practices? Maybe timing runs pumping with no cones? One of the problems is getting enough slalom boards for everyone. But maybe it's enough with 4-5 decks to share. How do one tackle the difference in skills? How hard is it for a streetstyler to get the hang of it?

Gary Holl
Roe-Racing
Roe-Racing

Post by Gary Holl » Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:30 pm

Hans, our class was for the total beginner. Every student in the class had never been on a skateboard! We started at the real basics: safety equipment, board components and what they do or how they work, basic pushing, stance and then we laid down the cones. You'll have to decide if your going to run a beginner class for riders that street skate or a beginner class for riders that have never been on a skateboard. In my opinion I wouldn't mix the two. We did a lot of drills back and forth across a basketball court. My advise is to have one of class days more structured and the next more of an open practice. By alternating back and forth it keeps things interesting and allows them to gain the confidence to push themselves more and more. When we finally put cones down we put them 10' apart. the next day we set up 3 courses, one 10', 8' and one around 7'. I think all the students made it through the 10' some through the 8' and very few through the 7'.
I can tell you this, if we shot video on the 1st and last day of class everyone would be shocked at how fast they learned to ride.

I think if you teach street skaters how to ride things should progress pretty fast.
During the summer I ran an informal gathering "Camp Holl"...those that showed up with some skateboarding background picked up slalom pretty fast. Those without any prior ecperience spent a little more time learning how to ride and then pump.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gary Holl on 2002-12-13 11:36 ]</font>