More Tight racing in 2003

Discussion Forum
John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:42 pm

I also looked at the tape and Hollien's Position is almost exactly the same for each cone- no fade.

Richy Carrasco
AXE Army
AXE Army

Post by Richy Carrasco » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:31 pm

As far as equipement and the state of racing,I started racing thanks to WLAC,My Bros were racing slalom and downhill in the 70s. The Gear we have now I believe is better than the stuff they were riding back then. This should make it way easier for beginners to catch up quick with lots of practice and tips.......

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:40 am

Compared the the 1970's someone starting today has a much better chance of doing well his first season.

In the 70's we had a few articles on slalom- but not much info in terms of equipment set up- I think I read an article about HH who said he used to take the seals of his IKS bearings off and race with them off using wd-40 alone + ran with a 1/2 inch riser in the front only.

You would see a few static shots of the course and have no idea as to the true cone spacing or the pitch of the hill.

Try writing into skateboarder mag to ask a question and have to wait 3-5 issues for an answer- now that was slooooow.

I did write to Hester once- and believe it or not he wrote me back- handwritten no less-in about 3 weeks and gave me some stickers + a Christian G & S cartoon book. Hesters response time at the time was A+ behavior for a pro.

Now all you have to do is ask what to buy- order it online and in 3 days it is at your door- faster probably than getting on a fibreflex waiting list for 6 months at a store in the 1970's. How about Turner? You used to have to wait for up to a year or more for a deck. Now- they either have it- or a few weeks later you can get it.

Now download a few videos- and start skating-jump online, buy some discount airfare + car + hotel package from Orbitz- and fill out an online contest form. Show up and have 1000 instant new friends. Likely- the new skater would still have his doors blown off, but not nearly by as much in the 1970's.

In regards to tight slalom- just set the course used at Folly Beach and you are well on your way to becoming accustomed to what is set on the East Coast.

The West Coast has larger hills which might seem daunting for anyone who has not had the opportunity to skate large hills before, but at least today.....you can ask where they are-= do a mapquest search to find them and go and skate them.

The gear has improved, though the top gear of yesteryear is still pretty competitive with today's TS gear. Avalons have been the bg stride for GS as well as the longer boards and newer trucks. But again....it is all available.

Mollica's DVD's bring lots of video info into the hands of the newest slalomers. Glen Darcy, Maria Carasco also have video available of other races outside of FCR- and there are lots of slalomers at each race constantly taping.

This is the take off stage for our sport. All systems go.

A new slalomer could dive into this sport in 4 months and become a decent racer in that time frame.

Richy Carrasco
AXE Army
AXE Army

Post by Richy Carrasco » Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:37 am

Sounds like there will be some tight at Elsinor FCR -- Bring it on Baby!

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:00 am

Looking at all the disciplines here at http://www.slalomskateboarder.com . The "Tight Slalom" forum has the most interest with the most posts by far. I get the feeling that FCR is probably paying attention to the intrest in TS here, and that there will be tighter courses throughout this next FCR season. Don't others of you out there think this might be the case or should be the case?

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:03 am

It is interesting that the most popular course according to Fluitt's poll was the Catalina tight slalom. Yet we really haven't seen that much tight slalom. Most people in a voting situation will always opt for "el Macho" Bigger faster. I think that is what happened at Elsinor- though since I was not there I can only assume that the hill was too scary for anyone in their right mind to run a tight slalom. Except me.

This year I think we can expect some good very fast technical slalom offered in the East. What I hope will happen is that a race site will be choosen that has a good GS hill and another less steep hill nearby or adjacent to the steeper hill. in this way we can run a amatuer men's Tight slalom + Women's tight slalom, and Kids GS course on the lesser grade and a Pro level GS on the steeper grade as well as a Pro men's Tight slalom on the steep grade. Of course people can run whatever course they like as long as they qualify.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu May 08, 2003 10:58 pm

Andy and other DeeSeers put TS back in US! We skated true TS and TechSL courses at the Gathering. The Farm 3 will probably be another race to host a fast TS course. That’s 2 big TS races in one season! Roe is working on some new TS models. Cambria is a great TS wheel, and 100mm PVDs with Radicals make a nice TS package. Equipment is not a limiting factor anymore.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu May 08, 2003 11:04 pm

No beginners courses at the farm this year. A tough GS with a little TS mix and a true TS is what you can expect at 3.0. And of course there will be the Vintage Race, which will be an easy Hybrid. A little bit of everything. Hope to see you there.

Mark McCree
Radikal Trucks
Radikal Trucks

Post by Mark McCree » Sun May 11, 2003 12:09 am

Vlad, It was fun skating with you at the G3. It was fun seeing everyone. It was also fun showing how a 48 year old fat man can make TS look easy. Keith's hands behind his back routine makes for some heads to turn also. TS IS COOL.

We are looking forward to St. Louis and Brekenridge for some TS venues.

Hey Vlad-check out our picture inserts- same positions- very close.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mark McCree on 2003-05-10 18:13 ]</font>

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Mon May 26, 2003 4:17 pm

Tight slalom may be fun but you you really need a proper setup for it. If not it's depressing. I rode JG's and Vlad's tight courses at Trocadero (Paris) before this weekend and it was no fun with my setup. My board was set up to get speed only. That gave me way to much speed in their course. For tight slalom you need to be able to control speed much more accuratly. I.e. increase AND decrease it. Maybe this is the reason why tight slaloming is not getting more attention. People just don't have the proper setup for it.

Funny is that we tell beginners to learn to pump. You have to pump really good. And after a lot of hard work learning this they will realize that it's only half the truth. "Okey man, you pump is good but you have to learn to decrease your speed." Maybe it would be better to know this from the beginning. It's not just about getting speed. It's more about controling speed. With this in mind one will probably end up with a different board setup more suitable for tight racing.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon May 26, 2003 5:14 pm

Hans,

Over on the "other website" last year I got into a short discussion with Richy Carrasco about this very subject.

One of the limiting factors in promoting world-wide slalom skating is the simple matter of getting all the equipment you need to a race. My example to Richy was the comparison of a California skater going to an FCR event with an East Coast skater making the flight. The California skater can in most cases if he chooses pack every board he owns and always have an option for set up depending on the course. The East Coaster, though, has to consider how much he can pack and that usually ends up being a couple of decks, maybe one alternative pair of trucks and some hard plus soft wheels.

I agree that we need to see all types of skating. I've never really considered myself a tight skater or a giant slalom skater. I just like to run cones. What I would like to see, though, is a little more specific information about race courses before making trip arrangements.

A good example of what to do is the St. Louis race that occured this weekend. Jeff advertised well in advance a 100-cone course at 7 foot spacing. Simple enough. The only real option a competitor had to consider is road surface. Sure, Jeff could say it was "good," or "acceptable," but that sort of thing is always subjective. You have to see the road to know what to expect. So packing one board with three sets of wheels would probably cover your options.

My opinion is pretty much that it's all good. I just hope we get to the point where what's all good isn't kept a secret til we get there and maybe it's too late. A lot more communication before an event will make any type race more enjoyable.

Jim Slater
Jim Slater
Jim Slater

Post by Jim Slater » Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:49 pm

Firstly, let me say that this is the most informative forum I have ever had the Honour of being part of.
I find the UK-US devide in this matter interesting.
This is the origin of English slalom and why it evolved as "tight" partly due to terrain and partly due to ignorance on our part.
I started slaloming in London in spring 1975 and (I say slaloming because I had tin cans and no-one else to race!) just little old me, thinking I was the only slalomer in the world.
My 1 board quiver was a wooden deck with clay wheels and loose ball bearings that rolled faster than the wheels!!!! LOL
Skating was banned all over London and I was "moved on" my Mr Policeman every half hour or so.
Others soon joined the following year and I started Slalom racing-tough cones were a distant luxury. Myself and Tim Panting were able to watch a video clip of Hutson Vs Hester on what we now know was playing at double speed! We left there convinced that the cones had to be really close together for them to be gyrating so fast, so our 6-7ft spacing quickly became a standard 5ft. around mid 1977.
I went on to enter 47 slalom competitions 3 of which were on hills and 7-8ft ft. spacing was known as Giant slalom.
The UK has six months winter and six months bad weather and due to the lack of indoor hills flat-masterbator type courses were our only choice.
In 1977-78 Skate parks started opening everywhere and freestylers and Bowlriders were catered for but Slalom racers were left to our own devices.
Martin Sweeny used to sit and watch us skate probably wishing he could do what we were doing. Our amarican heroes BP hh jh etc were stills in magazines but that film spurred us on. Faster tighter and not a hill in sight.
I had photos taken for skateboard magazine at Crystal palace on a hill!!!!! the magazine got permission for us to use it for a few hours and we were lost. it took 2 hours to get the cones right because our tight corses were too fast for the cameraman. 6ft spaces were like football piches (way tooooo wiiiiide!!!)
I quit Slalom racing in 1981 and Chris Linford and Jani continued to euro legacy of true tight. Jani's s-camber is the best I have seen for Euro tight.
There's much more but I don't want to bore you guys totally.
Just like you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, so do we in the UK!!!! our steering wheel is on the wrong side. Our television systems are different. They were invented on different sides of the world st the same time.
They all work fine they are just different.
Watching Richy pumping his GS is stunning ly good and seeing all of you slalom is such a thrill , we are just different.
I ran 5ft offsets yesterday in Hyde Park and it was a real buzz. (For me) and one day I would love to join you all on the other side of the pond and indulge you in 5ft wide offset as long as you promise me that you will show me how you do the wide stuff.

Gentleman you are all right in what you say and what you do. We are all part of the brotherhood of slalom in all its forms.
I am just bias and love bombing flat! we have little choice.
regards to you all and bye for now

PS: UK slalom in the 70's had 1 cone dq's w(e weren't allowed to knock even 1 over!)
eh' lad it were tough in them old days.
PSS: As I was 13 in 1975 mastubating was as good as it got.
Jim Slater

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:29 am

More tight racing?

How does 5'7" centers sound?

See you next Saturday.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:50 am

JIm ,great post. Do you all have some video running those type of courses. I would love to see it. Cheers, Terence Kirby

Jim Slater
Jim Slater
Jim Slater

Post by Jim Slater » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:11 am

Thanks TK, we have a lot of footage and are working on somewhere to post it!
I'll keep you posted as to where etc.

once again thank you.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:47 am

Jim,
You should ask Jani about hosting it (the video) here. Great post too.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:05 am

No wonder 66 is so good. He is running difficult courses.

5' 7" ......can I assume that is not the center to center distance but the distance between the cones?

We do need challenging TechSl courses and the faster the better.

Braking at speed can be hairy- but one of the coolest things to watch when it is done properly.

I just think it takes a lot of skill and also raises the bar when a racer runs a difficult course at speed. Everyone leaves with a new goal.

I haven't been a huge advocate of start ramps because I don't think the racer should be limited by what little speed a small start ramp provides. At Trocadero for instance I think it would be amazing to see a pro ramp that started way up on the stairs the spectators were watching from (20mph entry speeds) but currently not that many skaters would be into that. Of course with no run out we would have to have impact bags at the bottom like we had at the Swiss Contest in Hombrecktikon.

For really good TechSl you do need a great surface so the surface can support the speed and traction needed to run a tech course and support your body in all of its various contortions at speed. I think the thing really limiting good TS races is having a great surface and pitch at the same time.

But a good surface means more than just the ability to have a good course- it means that the racing will likely be safer for both the spectators and contestants. Also lesser experienced racers can safely charge harder without leaving skin.

So where will the next true TS race be?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:31 pm

So where will the next true TS race be?
September, the dates you know.

RFK racetrack.

Parallel @ 6 ft, & special withza twist. Something you ain't gonna see at the other races around that time.

Hungry? Deprived? Tired of being cheated many times? Tired of empty promisses? Tired of being beaten by beer-belly longboarders? Tired of traveling far-far-nowhere? Tired of being humiliated by somebody's sick interpretation of Tight? Tired of being dictated how a good course should be set?

Then WHY wait? Grab a Cab, get to DC. The dates you know. Lottery decides who sets the course. 3 people. Refer to ISSA.

Vlad.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:54 pm

This site is getting popular. Quotes are (re)posted in other parts of the net where human filth is still allowed to hang out and humiliate slalomers and slalom fans.

Congrats! I say to this forum. I’m glad to be part of something that accomplishes so much and more…

Slalomskateboarder Vlad.

PS. A DC ”nice and tight” open comp will be announced on Labor Day.

Slappy Maxwell

Post by Slappy Maxwell » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:37 pm

FDA warning!!! Product Recall!!!

They are pulling it from shelves for causing constipation problems.

Let's face it...it wasn't exactly brain food.

Jim Slater
Jim Slater
Jim Slater

Post by Jim Slater » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:54 pm

Great call Vlad
you know..........

JIM SLATER

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

A True "Slalom" Course at The 2003 Worlds

Post by William Tway » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:41 pm

Click to Enlarge

Not sure who fell here but it looks like Kenny got it all on tape.

This is the last of my world’s photos and it's not great but it does depict the course pretty well.

-2003 Worlds-
Last edited by William Tway on Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

OUCH!

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:11 pm

TS hurts innocent people.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Nice Shirt TK

Post by William Tway » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:32 pm

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:06 pm

dat ain't da tight

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Correction

Post by William Tway » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:12 pm

Good Eye Noah. This is the only pic I took of Saturday's 88 cone "Slalom" killer. After racing CBarker, I was so tired I hardly even remember taking that pic.
Last edited by William Tway on Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Tway,

Post by Vlad Popov » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:37 pm

What camera did you use on this so-called-tight-but-we-all-know-it's-a-SuperG-in-reality course? Evil Smily goes here.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

VP

Post by William Tway » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:48 pm

This picture is very deceiving. It's very had to tell the course is nearly 3 city blocks long. The condos on the left are a dead giveaway that this was Saturday's race.

Camera is a 35mm Minolta 7000 with an oldschool Minolta telephoto lens with skylight filter.

It's also interesting to note that Brent crashed directly in front of his kids. His oldest son was hysterical but not to worry, Brent quicky calmed him down and everyone was fine.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Tight Slalom

Post by Eddy Martinez » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:24 pm

I did a story on slalom for the local newspaper on Sunday. The course I set up was not giant or a huge hybrid course. The course consisted of 6 fts,5ft and 5 ft 7 in cones. It seems the more I traveled up the East Coast this year,the more I was exposed to tight slalom. During the photo shoot for the newspaper I was able to control a feather slide at speed. The reporter and the photographer were pretty stoked when they left . Dam East Coast influence. There is something to be said about wiggling like a madman through a tight course. Eddy Texas Outlaw.