Skyhooks: Cheating or not?

Discussion Forum
Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Skyhooks: Cheating or not?

Post by Hans Koraeus » Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:49 am

I saw a picture of a slalom board in the "General slalom skateboard deck discussion" with a skyhook in front. This to avoid the front foot from moving. Through the years I have seen many simular constructions like this used now and then and I've always thought of it as a cheat. But it seems like nobody elses cares.

Now with our excellent forum I can maybe finally lay this mind bearing thing to rest and ask the world slalom community about it...

Are they cheating or not?

Andy Bittner
GBJ
GBJ

Post by Andy Bittner » Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:33 am

In my opinion, toe blocks have probably been around for too long now for anyone to outlaw them. I don't use them and I don't see them as a problem. They're actually quite popular, although moreso in Europe than in the U.S.

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:59 am

I have tried Attilas boards with toe blocks on them, I think they should be outlawed because they are dangreous, OK only dangereous for me, When I fall it is useally my front foot that is my first step off, with those things I feel like I wont beable to get my foot off and I'll just eat sh&t!

My pool board is a flat nosed oldschool deck, Same reason I dont ride a new school deck, I almost quit skateboarding because I couldnt find a flat nosed deck, I rode a kicked up nose board in a pool one day and locked up on a frontside grind, instead of my front foot coming off for my first step, I just slammed head first to the bottom.

The Block does have its advantage of locking in your foot which is a good thing, but a bad thing for somebody with my style, I hate to go THUD!

I'd have to go with Andy though, they have been around for awhile and I really dont see any advantage or disadvantage for the racers.

Arab

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:11 am

I also have been standing on Attilas board and the toe block really scared me, so I do not see it as an actual cheat. If someone has a problem with a slipping front foot and feels like he needs a block it is alright for me, I would just feel like I would cheat myself, because somehow I think I should be able to keep my feet on my board without any further help than grip tape.

But thats personal preference.

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:55 am

Ya know Chris.....

I think that the toe block might help from getting my foot stuck in my mouth though.

good seein ya at Morro, hope you can make it out again next year, meanwhile we will keep yer old pal Attila in line, actually Little Bianca will take care of that!

Arab

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:42 am

foot stuck in mouth?
hmm your still quite bendable in yer age Arab, I cannot do this anymore......

Quite honest I almost crashed in Attilas garage when I tried his board with the block, I am a mongo pusher too, so this does not help.

I use pizza grip like belt sander tape on my boards though, that helps too.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:02 am

Here's an enlarged view of the SkyHook.

I don't mind if other people would like to use them. I will not.

I have a pair of "original" sky hooks from the 70's and I remember I fell a few times badly when trying to get my front foot off.

The only time we will have to forbid them will be when people start to use them to get around a cone by somehow lifting the board. But if they manage that I guess they're rolling too slow to make any impact anyway. Would have been cool to see someone wheelie around the first couple of difficult cones in Avila Beach!

Some slalomers use footblocks that cannot be used to lift the board. I quite like the idea but I never managed to get used to it. I think it is an advantage if you can move your feet slightly while racing.

Maybe we will all have different opinions in a few years when somebody just dominates the scene thanks to those things. Let's wait and see!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:38 pm

These are the original Sky Hooks made in Hawaii back in the 1970's.

Last edited by Jani Soderhall on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:09 pm

Good one Eggers!

Easy now ARAB...

:grin: [just kidding]

Below is a post from the Traction Forum.

I've always wanted a board with a foot block and I got one from Atilla. Here is a photo of the set up which I further customized by "cutting out" unnecessary material.

The foot block is on a single bolt held up off the deck by a 8mm bearing spacer. The foot block can swivel (with resistance) to accomidate foot placement on the board or comming off.

One thing to be careful of is long shoe laces that they do not "wrap" around the foot block when making an exit!

I use one occaisionally and I like it for reference. I think they are really good for push starts on TS courses.

Chuck Gill

Post by Chuck Gill » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:03 am

Are toe blocks intended to keep feet from slipping, or are they intended to be a reference point for easy foot placement after a push atart?

Eric Groff
Eric Groff
Eric Groff

Post by Eric Groff » Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:07 am

Chuck all the above, But in my case so I can eat Sh$t. I like to move my feet alot when I ride, Attilas set-up swivels which does leave room for foot movement, but for me it doesnt leave me enough movement to keep from getting that first crucial step when falling.

Richy Carrasco
AXE Army
AXE Army

Post by Richy Carrasco » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:28 pm

An alternative to toe blocks are using belt sanding paper (better traction) and raising the front up with maybe and eighth inch riser pad! this will stop the feeling of your foot falling off the front from riding cambered boards and it will also give you more traction in the back!

Henry Hester
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"
Team RoeRacing "Bad H"

Post by Henry Hester » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:07 am

I think we all think it's a really good idea however, like Arab, we are all scared to death to use it.

Alan Gelfand

Post by Alan Gelfand » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:14 am

this thing is a gaget.. shut up and sk8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:37 pm

Actually Alan with bindings you could use them to lift the board off the ground-= it could change the direction of slalom forever- imagine- slalom with gap jumps and banked slalom where we would leave the top of the bank without holding...... errrrr forget it.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:33 am

It's amazing how things change with time.