Differences between US and European Racing

Discussion Forum
Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Differences between US and European Racing

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:57 pm

Just out of curiosity I thought I would start this thread so we can identify a little bit how things are different on either side of the pond. I had the the amazing oppurtunity to race in europe and I noticed a couple things add your own. Not to say either or little differences are better but it's nice to note how other people practice the same sport thousands of miles appart.

What Americans call Hybrid, the euros call special- what's so special about it anyway? I noticed generally 'special slalom' will be a lot more technical than 'hybrid'

False Start rules: Jani had a goddamned fog horn or something he'd blow if you false started at all. You'd have to restart your run and take a hefty penalty. The races I've been to in the US didn't seem to be so harsh on the false starts, most just doubling the actual time you false started.

Tight is tight in europe, unless your in Colorado where it's REALLY TIGHT.

more to come...

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:36 pm

Can't make a comparision yet - For my reply you gotta wait for one or two years....

But racing with Americans is always interesting - you just don't really know how good they really are.

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:52 pm

Ramón Königshausen wrote: But racing with Americans is always interesting - you just don't really know how good they really are.

rmn
Your just saying that cause Richy took your ass out on the Special. :P But it doesn't matter, you owned the TS. WORLD PRO CHAMP, and your 18? Dude I'm older than you. You Cbark, Masey and Luca need to have a Tight Slalom show down.

Some more thoughts I had...

US races often will brackett everyone. Something I didn't really even understand before the dixie cup. I won the C brackett, which meant I got to skate the most as anyone who made it through to the semi finals. I got a first place Jug and a first pick at the swag pile (MASEY SKATERBUILT), yet I only ended up with 33 place! It's deffinately a more fun for everyone method than Brix for example where 50 amateurs show up and 16 get more than just qualifying. But that does make sense when it is the World Championships.

Can we get the LATVIA RAMPS in the USA?
Check these puppies out... Image Finiest Soviet Slalom Build.

One last thing then I'll shut up: over the past two years I noticed the Weasel and I being a couple of a very few young guys who are travelling on their own to races. Now that's changing more and more over here with guys like the Duke and Civ. But over there that kinda seems more average. It's easier for college students to get all across europe in a season than it is to get to CO, Lacosta and Dixie.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:01 pm

No. not because of that. I rather think of Paris (knocked out by Hackett) or Stockholm 2005 (4th behind Maysey and Janis)

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks