GILMOURIAN CURVE

Discussion Forum
SYLVAIN LAVILLE

GILMOURIAN CURVE

Post by SYLVAIN LAVILLE » Fri May 11, 2007 6:39 am

Hi everybody , could you decribe what a Gilmourian curve is? I believe that adding a diagram would be great for better understanding. Thanks to you all for giving all these valuable informations. Sylvain

Eric Brammer

Post by Eric Brammer » Fri May 11, 2007 7:17 am

Sylvain, the Gilmourian Curve is simply placing the cones along an exaggerated arc.

That said, it's an extremely difficult course setting to get right, even harder to ride through IF it's a suprise in the middle of a fast Hybrid course.
:-P

The thing is, you're forced to go very wide on one turn, while going almost straight in the next; repeat.. It pushes on your ability to govern speed, sense traction, pump to accelerate, and will immediately inform you of whether you have a 'weak' side in planning/forming your turns. Set it up not just as a "C", but as an "S", and you've got an ego breaker. It's a great training-course exercise, one that can make you cry as much as grin!

What I do in placing cones for such curves is carefully pace my steps heel-to-toe, but every third step, shift to one side 10-20cm. Usually, with my size 9m (US sizing) sneakers on, I'll take 8 to 9 steps this way to place the cones at 2-1/2 to 3 meters apart. After that is done, I'll also mark inside the long arc, and if more difficulty is wanted, I'll move every-other cone towards that 'inside' arc. These cones should be the ones passed by on the inside of the G-Curve (JG, you gotta coin this phrase!) in order to increase the offset and difficultly. No G-curve should be more than 1/3 of the width of the lane you're riding on.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Steve Collins
Harbor Skateboard Racing
Harbor Skateboard Racing

Post by Steve Collins » Fri May 11, 2007 7:47 am

I thought a Gilmourian curve was one where you have to float your body weight off to the side to be able to reenter at the right place further down the line.

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Fri May 11, 2007 2:18 pm

I thought the Gilmourian curve was the lovely girl he brought to the Dixie Dup
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Gilmour is my hero

Post by Marty Schaub » Fri May 11, 2007 2:48 pm

Ron,

It should be noted at some contests there have been Gilmourian Curves. I can't wait till the guy hooks up triplets. Maybe he'll break those out at the worlds.
La Costa Boy For Life

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Re: GILMOURIAN CURVE

Post by Wesley Tucker » Fri May 11, 2007 2:53 pm

SYLVAIN LAVILLE wrote:Hi everybody , could you decribe what a Gilmourian curve is? I believe that adding a diagram would be great for better understanding. Thanks to you all for giving all these valuable informations. Sylvain
See Here:

viewtopic.php?t=1274

SYLVAIN LAVILLE

Post by SYLVAIN LAVILLE » Fri May 11, 2007 9:38 pm

Thanks to all for your advices , I'll set a G curve tomorow in my practice routine, can't wait .

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Long post..lost arrg

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:28 am

Well I had a nice long post detailing everything... lost it. oops

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

How about some old videos?

If you have enough speed you can hang your hips on the inside of the curve- limiting the distance your hips move across the hill and alllows your legs to travel that distance... Very fast and you can skid safely if you have enough speed and maintain level shoulders.

http://web.mac.com/nobelprize/iWeb/Site%209/Scott.html
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:54 pm

Ahhh skatin curves in the Arboretum.... good place to practice if you want a little minature Eiffel Tower, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9OogABbrDg

Offer still stands John.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

Paul Graf

Re: Long post..lost arrg

Post by Paul Graf » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:36 pm

John Gilmour wrote:Well I had a nice long post detailing everything... lost it. oops

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

How about some old videos?

If you have enough speed you can hang your hips on the inside of the curve- limiting the distance your hips move across the hill and alllows your legs to travel that distance... Very fast and you can skid safely if you have enough speed and maintain level shoulders.

http://web.mac.com/nobelprize/iWeb/Site%209/Scott.html
John,

You sure do a great job at explaining the tech side of skating cones. You are right about a picture being worth a thousands word. The Quicktime moves are great, you can pause them, step thru them and see body positioning, stance. etc.

It would be cool to see movies of other experienced skaters such as yourself with voice overs explaining how they skate different types of courses.

I've been skating with JBH and taking movies of each other skating the same course. I can have both movie clips running side by side on my computer and compare my style vs. his. It's really helps me understand what I might be doing wrong on certain parts of the course.

Keep on doing what you do. I really appreciate your help.

PG