Whatis a Step Over ?

Discussion Forum
SYLVAIN LAVILLE

Whatis a Step Over ?

Post by SYLVAIN LAVILLE » Wed May 16, 2007 3:17 am

n an older post JOHN GUILMOUR Described a couple of Technical terms , but a couple of others were left aside ,so , What is a STEP OVER , a HOOK and a GIMME GATE ? I'M triying to set courses that are not Shotgun courses 'cause I would like to compete asap , and practice what's in a Real Course. THANKS for your future inputs. Sylvain

Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage
Lenny Poage

Post by Lenny Poage » Wed May 16, 2007 2:33 pm

I don't know the first two, but I think a gimme gate is what some call a "Negative Cone." It's where the cone is off-set, but in a way that you, in the "natural flow" of the course, go on the inside, not the outside, of the cone. It's hard to describe without a visual example; so I hope that's pretty clear. It sometimes is put there (when I set a course) to keep the riders thinking.
HOSS

SYLVAIN LAVILLE

Post by SYLVAIN LAVILLE » Wed May 16, 2007 9:20 pm

Thanks bro' , yes I know what you're talking about. Sometimes terms can be confusing. HEY CERTIFIED CONES KILLERS where are you? We all need your science.

Karl Floitgraf
Slalomspot.com
Slalomspot.com

Post by Karl Floitgraf » Wed May 16, 2007 11:53 pm

A step over is where you are running the course on one line then there is an offset and the course shifts over to a new line.
BOSTON BAKED BEAN
HONORARY TEXAS OUTLAW

SYLVAIN LAVILLE

Post by SYLVAIN LAVILLE » Thu May 17, 2007 4:35 am

Thanks Karl .

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Terms

Post by Pat Chewning » Thu May 17, 2007 5:53 am

The "gimme cone" in skateboard slalom is called a "delay gate" in ski racing. It is a cone where you do not have to turn to pass on the correct side. You therefore delay your turn until the next cone.
Example: Pass cone #3 on the right. Head toward cone #5 to pass it on the right. On the way, you naturally pass cone #4 on the left, without making additional course corrections or turns.

I'm not sure about this, but I think a "hook" in slalom skateboarding is the same as a "hairpin" in ski racing.

Here are some ski race course diagrams: http://home.eznet.net/~vraguso/Book_1/Courses.html

SYLVAIN LAVILLE

Post by SYLVAIN LAVILLE » Thu May 17, 2007 6:42 am

Tanks Pat , The diagram says it all .I hope that will help others to set their courses. You're the man Pat.