Pointers for putting together a race

Discussion Forum
Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

Pointers for putting together a race

Post by Chris Iversen » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:58 pm

Hey all,

I'm thinking about putting together a small race in my Hometown of Strathmore, AB, Canada. There are not many racers here, so it needs to be something to attract racers from elsewhere. But I think something like this might attract new people to the sport. I teach Jr. High here, and I'm fairly high profile known as the "skateboarding teacher" (Is this a good thing??? I'm not sure... It's a small town, haha), but it might help with getting the kids into it. We have a decent little hill in the middle of the town (rare for the prairies), that is nice and wide, and could accommodate a 30-40 cone dual-lane Tight/Hybrid course nicely. There is a skateboard shop right on that street (on the course actually) so I'd hope they'd jump on the bandwagon as well, but we'll see.

Anyway, we have a Spring Fest here in the town, so I thought about coinciding it with that. Helps the prospect of road closures, etc. Thing is, I don't know where to start. ISSA sanctioning would be a strong possibility. Any organizers out there that can give me some pointers?
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!

Ron Barbagallo
Fatboy

Post by Ron Barbagallo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:08 pm

there was great article on just that in Concrete Wave magazine a couple of months ago written by Marion Karr who throws a pretty mean shindig.

Look for it or email Michael Brooke at Concrete Wave, tell him Fatboy sent ya' ;)
Evil Potentate
Team Fatboy - all hopped up on goofballs!

Still douchebags, but CLASSY douchebags ;)

UNDISPUTED WORLD CATAMARAN CHAMPS!

Chris Iversen
Chris I
Chris I

Post by Chris Iversen » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:56 pm

Cool thanks, I'll try and get a copy!
Live to skate, SKATE OR DIE!!!

Joe Iacovelli

Post by Joe Iacovelli » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:12 pm

Chris,

email me at iaco@comcast and ask for "the list"

Joe

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Your 1st race

Post by Pat Chewning » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:36 pm

Your 1st race should be a very small event with just local riders on a hill you already know.

Low expectations, fast course setting (you know the hill), easy communication (you know all the riders).

Anything more ambitious than this should be for your 3rd, 4th, 5th etc race.

As soon as you are promissing traveling racers an event, the expectations and hassles go way up.

ISSA (this year) will just about sanction anything ... don't worry about that. Worry more about:

A) Keeping it fun (not too much of "job")
B) Delegating chores to others (timing, trash, set-up, main cone judge, etc)
C) The hill, the course, the race format

Worry less about:
1) Prizes
2) Where people are going to stay, or how they travel there

For example: Your hill can accomodate 40 cones of Hybrid racing. That is OK for a small local event, but people are not going to travel for such a short course. Try to find a bigger/longer hill.