what faces slalom in light of world affairs

Discussion Forum
Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:24 pm

Just curious if current world affairs has played a role in shaping peoples' plans for competing this season. I am personally going to be on the East this year, so my tavels will be quite limited. But that is mainly because my budget is limited. However, for many of you who do travel cross-country to events (mainly east to west), have your plans been altered in any way because of pending war in the Gulf?
Do you FCR planners see this as a potential threat to the success of the series this season?
Are current security issues making planning events difficult for anyone?

Is this a conversation just not worth having?
slalom is good

George Gould
AZ G.R.S.
AZ G.R.S.

Post by George Gould » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:49 pm

Matt, yeah I think about it. after the WTC and it's destruction, lots of people, myself included, walked around in a funk. Henry Hester put on La Costa 2001 and no matter what is said, that race was one of the best vibe events that ever happened in skateboarding. the average age on the hill was over 30. this season I am glad I can race. i am now too freaking old to get re-called, so every time i get on a skateboard i literally thank God that i can. when i skate i often remember those that can't, beacause they didn't make it (drugs, accidents, plain old mortality) or their situation (military, job) or those locked down because they chose a wrong path. skateboarding id freedom, wind in your face, and fun. i try not to loose sight of that.

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:02 pm

Well. not only USA its affected by the war, we have or own "almost" civil war, an for me its har dto make ANY plans on what i am going to do even tomorrow.

we cant get any money from the gov to travel to the states for pleasure so, i have to get the $ in the black market paying twice what it really cost.

go figure

leo

Matthew Wilson

Post by Matthew Wilson » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:22 pm

Leo-
Sorry for being so USA-centric in my initial post. I should have addressed the question to the global audience, as current affairs are affecting everyone, not just the USA. My apologies.
slalom is good

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:26 pm

No prob matt, in fact i forgot to mention that the war will affect the whole world, i hope that everything stay calmed.

leo