MRSA staph warning for all skateboarders!!!!

Discussion Forum
Marcus Rietema

MRSA staph warning for all skateboarders!!!!

Post by Marcus Rietema » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:46 pm

The gravity sports world has a health related situation that needs to be addressed and should not be taken lightly. MRSA or Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is a type of staph infection that is resistant to certain antibiotics and is affecting racers around the world. Although concrete facts are sketchy, it seems that early in the year some skateboarders at the Canadian races came down with MRSA.

Then at the Almabtrieb event Chiara Poscente had what she thought was a skin rash. Two weeks later she went to the hospital in Munich to have an elbow injury checked out. At that time she also had them check the strange bumps on her abdomen. The doctors ignored her elbow and performed emergency surgery for a "Life threatening" staph infection. Chiara also required weeks of antibiotics to clear up the condition. Now there are unconfirmed reports of four seperate cases of MRSA from racers who attended the Maryhill Festival of Speed. If anyone notices a skin rash or other symptoms, please go see a doctor immediately!

Keeping yourself and your equipment clean and any wounds clean and covered seems to be the best defense against MRSA.

There is a product called "Staphaseptic Gel" that can be used on road rash to help prevent getting an MRSA staph infection. It's supposed to be significantly better than triple antibiotic ointment in fighting it off. If you go to their site they will even send you a free sample if you live in the USA. I don't know if the product is available outside the States. www.staphaseptic.com

For additional information please visit www.IGSAworldcup.com
Marcus Rietema
President- International Gravity Sports Association
Phone: 951-532-6378
Email: rietema.m@gravity-sports.com

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:52 pm

Marcus,

I can't stress enough how important it is to clean a wound AND regularly clean form-fitting safety gear. If anyone spent all summer skating with the same set of pads, I guarantee they are now a petri dish for about every nasty germ imaginable. If they smell bad it's a good indicator they ARE bad.

Lysol or any other disinfectant can help but seriously consider some bleach. It might take out the color but that's better than a little road rash leading to gangrene and an amputation.

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Yeah!!

Post by Marty Schaub » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:45 pm

Hey Tucker,

I could still beat you with one leg!!!
La Costa Boy For Life

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Stinky Petri-dish pads

Post by Pat Chewning » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:34 am

Best advice I got (thanks paul howard) and seems to work:

Set the pads in the sun, inside-out (areas that contact skin shining in the sun).

Evidently, the UV rays of the sun will kill them germs.

Terry Trimble

Post by Terry Trimble » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:02 am

I use to watch Neil Blender at Delmar Skate ranch he would take vegetable bags from the grocery store and bread bags and cut the ends off of them. He would put the vegetable bags over his knees and bread bags around his elbows then put on his pads.
I asked him why he did this. He said he got a nasty staph infection from open sore under his knee pads.
So he would either use new bags or wash the bags he used. To keep his pads from getting contaminated. I think he did a article in TWS about it.

Another form of MSRA is the Los Angeles skid row staph infection that just pressing flesh with unclean people like homeless people can be transfered. A hug from a homeless women at a shelter almost cost a LA city council person her life. Fireman and policeman are getting it that respond to calls in Skid Row area.
http://www.laweekly.com/2006-10-19/news ... -skid-row/
Terry Trimble