Curious about how far behind I am after a few years..

Discussion Forum
Matt Weinstein

Curious about how far behind I am after a few years..

Post by Matt Weinstein » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:44 pm

As far as the equipment goes. I just got curious for a sec about how things have progressed.

I'm still riding a Pocket Pistols, RTX front, Turner rear truck, Avalons, Stim bushings. I haven't really hit the cones in a long time, ride the board daily but it's for walking the dog and a little speed every once and again..
Right about the time I lost touch with the equipment guys were shying away from the foamcore decks a bit for wood stuff, the Avalons were being phased out for Manx, and PVDs were the grail while the TTC was the standard (though it was when you couldn't figure out who the heck had the company and the Avalons...)

So, what's happened since and how far am I gone?

Today was the first time in a long time I wanted to get a fresh new top of the line setup to replace my current one. Can't do it cuz of money, but I would like to and it just sparked me thinking...

Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel
Carsten Pingel

Post by Carsten Pingel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:49 pm

check out Pavel Skates and GOG trucks!
The best stuff you can buy today! ;-)

Matt Weinstein

Post by Matt Weinstein » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:32 pm

Carsten Pingel wrote:check out Pavel Skates and GOG trucks!
The best stuff you can buy today! ;-)
I saw some of that stuff up for grabs on NCDSA and that's what spurred my wondering. They look sick, can't afford a setup though.
I think I can just use some new bearings.

Spike Taylor

Post by Spike Taylor » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Do what i do Matt, just wait for the guys with dosh to get their new rigs and sell the old ones for cheap! I've picked up some quality kit like that and now own two wicked set ups.

Spike
FUN-is the bottom line!

Rick Floyd
Pink Floyd Skates
Pink Floyd Skates

Post by Rick Floyd » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:08 pm

The wood slalom boards from Sk8kings (www.sk8kings.com) and Fullbag (www.fullbagskates.com) are $100 or less and they run just as well as any foam core. You COULD replace that RTX with a "Skennet" (see Sk8kings site) or similar, or keep it if it has been modded with 8mm axles and the hangars faced. The Turner will work as a traction truck for now - but Splitfire or Airflow rears show up used from time to time for about $75-100. Get some Abec 11 ZigZag wheels or Seismic Black Ops and you'll be rockin'! Nothing necessarily wrong with the Manx/Avalon wheels, some really fast people still race on them. Good luck!
"All the money in the world can not buy sharing the excitement of life with other people. Nothing else matters."

- Jason Mitchell (Criddlezine Interview)

Chris Favero
CHIxILL Master CFav
CHIxILL Master CFav

Post by Chris Favero » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:27 am

the turner is still good to go.Airflows and splits are based on the turner.Get some foam to contour the top of your deck.ie:cant your feet and provide some concave for the front food.to me,the best bet is a rad front,but i hear good things about skennets.ride for fun,hit a race.cf
Freak Bros. Racing
www.chixillskateboards.com

Matt Weinstein

Post by Matt Weinstein » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks for the updates guys, appreciate it