Discussion Forum
Jon-Pat Myers
Faster!
Faster!

Slalom South Africa

Post by Jon-Pat Myers » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi guys
Nice to see such a busy 2011 schedule.
I have just returned to SA and am getting re connected to my old crones and was wondering (since I don't see any references to it) what it would take to get a Slalom event going down here..maybe in conjunction with some other event..X games ..whatever..
Any ideas?? Advise?
I am contacting the NSA today but haven't received any replies to my last query so I was toying with the idea of doing it independently and legworking for sponsors and so on..
Thanks and a great festive season as well as speedy racing new year to all members!!

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:11 pm

As far as I can tell, everyone in SA just does downhill. There is absolutely no slalom in SA.

But a few guys were actually interested in getting into it. For holding an event you best contact Justin Boast at SAGRA (South African Gravitiy Racing Association) www.sagra.co.za

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Jon-Pat, I say go for it. Organizing a race just takes the desire to do it, along with cones and a timer. You can apply for an ISSA sanction if you like by filling out the application at http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/ISSA/ ... cation.doc . But sanction or not, just do the race if you've got the desire.

I don't think Ramón was trying to sound negative, but just in case, don't let his "there is absolutely no slalom in SA" comment deter you. Nobody in St. Louis was doing slalom a few years ago either, but when Jeff Goad started doing it and invited others to join him, a whole bunch of people came out of the woodwork and started doing it too, one of whom was me. And it has been a huge part of my life ever since. Go for it!

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Well, there are a lot of people who do longboarding but hardly anyone got proper slalom equipment. So in other words start with a GS or Super GS event and let the longboarders get into it, arouse their interest in acquiring proper slalom setups etc.

I'm not saying it's complete nonsense to hold a competition. AS JBH said, I actually wanted to encourage you ;)

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Jon-Pat Myers
Faster!
Faster!

Post by Jon-Pat Myers » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi
happy New Year to all and thanks for the comments guys. I didn't take anything negatively btw.
I am going to set something up even if it means I will do a solo demo..
As far as Slalom equipment goes...wow..nada..so far..
I plan to construct my own deck anyway as my stuff is in a trunk on the sea of Galilee as of now.. I am sure I can make something rudimentary out of Sector Nines that I will cut down but think I will be getting some stuff online as I am quite sure of the set up I want and I cannot find that here..
I think its all about attitude anyway and the goal is to have fun..when people see an old fart like me blasting through some cones they will hopefully be inspired to try it themselves when they see the grin on my face when I am done and making my way back up to the start..to do it again!!!