Comet

Comet Slalom Boards

Moderator: Don O'Shei

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Comet

Post by Adam Trahan » Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:04 am

I purchased one of these boards because of it's longer wheelbase and stiff flex profile. I set the board up with a flat front Seismic 110mm (yellow springs) and a wedged rear Seismic. Hyper wheels in 62mm 88a front, 78a rear. I use this one as a loaner board for friends who do not have a board or I will throw it in the back of the car when I am going somewhere and I might have the chance to skate. It's a great board, I love the idea that the core is bamboo and composite top and bottom surfaces. A blend of nature and science.

A lot of guys use this board to race with and Gary Cross himself uses this board to get himself to the podium many many times. It is a RACING board with a great history.

I think Comet is "up-grading" this board and it would be nice to hear a little bit about it from someone in the know who races with this model or any Comet model in this construction.

It's the most reasonably priced board out there and has all the qualitys necessary to enhance, not hinder your performance. A good economical choice for your sole slalom skateboard or even as an addition to your quiver.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:13 pm

I purchased a GC Comet last year and raced it with Indys for a while then put it away. Recently I got it back out and set it up with an RTX - Indy offset (with a good amount of wedging) and cut-down Avalons and it rocks on Hybrid type courses. Love the wide tail. The traction is sick and my times have improved. Could be the ride for the upcoming Brooklyn bank race.

Gone Fishin'

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:56 pm

One thing that I noticed about Gary Cross's actual race board at Avila/Morro this past month is that he had what looked like an extra layer thickness of bamboo core laminated and shaped in the front of the deck to make a concave deck. But it was only where the front foot goes. You could only see from the side the extra thinkness and double bamboo layer on the sides and the shape of concave on the deck. So it looked twice as think as a typical Comet Cross model for about 8" or so.

My guess is that he laminated an extra layer of bamboo where his front foot would go on the top of the original deck and then shaped the center area of the deck to have concave with a disk sander or something. Hard to tell exactly because of the griptape.

Is this something Comet is planning to put on upcoming models?

Also, he was using Indy 101 front and Indy 101 offsets rear.

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:41 pm

I received one of the new GC models as a prize at the WV race. It is supposedly one of 10 made with a diagonal layer of carbon fiber. I have only been able to try it out on a mild hill but the extra layer greatly decreases the horizontal flex (twisting) of the deck. The camber is also considerable steeper. This particular boards camber is positioned closer to the center of the deck. I find all of these features are an improvement to what was already an exceptional slalom board. In my opinion Comet boards are extremely easy to ride. Every other board I have tried took a little “getting used to” After I ride my other boards for a while and then get back on a Comet I always feel more comfortable and confident. Kind of like getting back together with an x-girlfriend.

ur13

Post by ur13 » Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:07 am

The Comet boys use MDF foam to build up the rails of their decks. Toe lift in the front, heel lift in the back (like an alpine snowboard) or mock concave. All of them but Cross use it front and back foots, Cross only uses it under his front foot and runs flat in the back....

I actually do KINDA the same thing on my Turner GS/Hybrids on the rails, 1 - 2 layers or grip tape cut in .5-1" strips. it isn't nearly as much as the MDF but it is enough to lock my feet in on the flat decks without being concave which i don't generally like, it is just enough that I can feel it under my toes and heels. Yet another reaosn i like the rolled edges of the classic turners (I feel them better in turns)...

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:58 pm

Chris,
Thanks for replying to my observation of Gary Cross's race board. I did not notice the other Comet team riders boards. But thanks for pointing that out. How long have they been doing this?

Also, are you saying that the lift is only on one side of the deck? I did not get a real close look, but only noticed the double thickness. How wide is this extra thinkness? Interesting.

Where do you get MDF Foam, and is it easily shapeable? How is it attached to the deck I wonder?
Glenn
Chris Stepanek wrote:The Comet boys use MDF foam to build up the rails of their decks. Toe lift in the front, heel lift in the back (like an alpine snowboard) or mock concave. All of them but Cross use it front and back foots, Cross only uses it under his front foot and runs flat in the back....

I actually do KINDA the same thing on my Turner GS/Hybrids on the rails, 1 - 2 layers or grip tape cut in .5-1" strips. it isn't nearly as much as the MDF but it is enough to lock my feet in on the flat decks without being concave which i don't generally like, it is just enough that I can feel it under my toes and heels. Yet another reaosn I like the rolled edges of the classic Turners (I feel them better in turns)...

George Gould
AZ G.R.S.
AZ G.R.S.

Post by George Gould » Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:56 pm

i have heard of people using a sheet of balsa wood. or strips. it can be glued to the deck and shaped as you like it. if you dont like it scrape it off. if you glue it down with rubber cement or white elmers if you don't like it it is reversable easily. grip tape right over all of it. i will be doing this to my cross shortly. front only because i like/need to shift my rear foot.

Tim Keasbey

Post by Tim Keasbey » Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:03 pm

I have found that I get much better connection with my cross after the addition of a custom toe stop in the front.

Timbobwei

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:23 pm

Pics anyone, i am kind of lost

leo
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

Scott Graham

need some help

Post by Scott Graham » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:57 am

i am looking to get a new slalom board . i was wonderin if i should get a comet o'shei or comet street slalom. Also if i should get a meduim or stiff flex. i weigh 150lbs. thanks a bunch.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:37 am

Scott, any of the non-concave Comet slalom decks would be good for you. Get a stiff model, or splurge and get both a medium and a stiff. I hear that the Street-slalom models are concave, and so don’t reccommend them.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:27 pm

Scott - definitely go for the medium

I've been riding Comets almost exclusively since the re-birth, and at 170lbs (soaking wet), I'm on the cusp between medium and stiff..........the stiff working better in tight slalom and the medium working better for hybrid and up

I rode the JO'shei model (medium) in both tight and hybrid at Da'Farm.........by shortening the wheelbase for tight, the deck loses some of it's flex

I gave up that O'Shei and went back to a cut-up version of a Gary Cross model, but may very well give the O'Shei another shot

Scott Graham

thanks

Post by Scott Graham » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:53 am

Well, I went with the Comet O'Shei medium. Thank's for all the help. Next thing I need is find some competitions around where I am: Williamsburg, Va.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:35 am

I'm glad we could help

You should represent your area by having it listed in your profile under Location. We all have at least two options for racing - Travelling to events in other places, or holding our own.
Join Folding@Home for the good of humankind, or at least for your loved ones (whatever species they may be). It's easy, free and fun, too!