MMW'd 8mm Seismics

Sesimic Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Daniel Gesmer

Paul Howard

MMW'd 8mm Seismics

Post by Paul Howard » Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:37 pm

I just got a set (one 30 and one 45 degree) of the 130mm width MMW'd 8mm axle Seismics from Gesmer whilst at Morro Bay 2004. So far I put only the 30 degree truck onto the back of my PP Chickenwing with an Asphalt Playground RT-X 127/8mm conversion (yes, someone finally did it!) and ran Grippins 88 front/84 back. I did'nt run cones but I ran through raised bumps on the ends of parking lot divider lines in the "compact" car section. I overly neg wedged the back end with a Khiro steep wedge (making it very not-turney), the pavement was good, but the traction was even more than what i would have anticipated. PVD's are claimed to have lots of traction and I think the Seismics have a similar pivot/roll when I think about where all the pivoting takes place in these two trucks compared to conventioal trucks or Radikals/Randalls. These MMW 8mm Seismics feel pretty good and worth it to me. Later- Paul
I just dig slalom!

Paul Howard

8mm MMW Seismics as a rear truck

Post by Paul Howard » Sat May 28, 2005 11:36 pm

If you don't Seismics as a front truck (in my cases it's because I ride really loose, "squirrelly" by most people's standards and like really steep pos wedge on the front which doesn't work with a Seismic), try a Seismic in the back and experiment with it, it's pretty dang solid in the traction department, especially with the 30 degree baseplate or the 45 degree baseplate with a little neg wedging. I've used the 130 for G/S and big hybrid with Grippins. The 100mm hanger does NOT work with grippings however it does work well with Manx's and Avalons. The more I goof around with them, the more I like them. Later-Paul
I just dig slalom!

Eric Brammer

Seismic at the Rear

Post by Eric Brammer » Sun May 29, 2005 2:56 am

Paul, I've been lucky in having the older, German-made plastic versions of these trucks. They're fitted with an 8mm axle (came stock that way, no conversiion needed) and ride 'damper' (less road vibration) than the newer metal Seismics, but came in those days Only in 45* baseplates. I played with wedging extensively, and finally settled on 16* and 13* of Negative wedging for T.S. and G.S. respectively. This puts the rear angles at 29* for T.S., and 32* for G.S., but puts a fat strain on my mounting hardware and deck topsheets. With the new 30* bases (which have deeper lean angles, and use longer springs), you can see how Khiro's new Wedges can be of huge help in getting these dialed in. Using these Old Seismics though, I've discovered that there's a good amount of traction to be had, and MMW-mod 8mm-axled new Seismics would likely be better. How good in grip? Well, good enough for me nab that Super-G 2nd place in the Open Class at Morro Bay, on a Bozi that was almost too big for the upper part of the course. Seismics at the rear also have a neat feature that shouldn't be overlooked, especially now that racers are placing the rear foot On the rear axle instead of ahead of the axle [where Camber Energy from the deck could be tapped into], and that feature is the energy return to center that the Springs provide. One needs to re-learn the Timing in pumping turns so that the focus is on downward pressure, not down-steer-return to-center motion cycle, that is needed with most trucks. However, if one can adapt in technique (and your muscles move quickly enough to stay 'in sync' with the spring's quick return rate) to pumping with Seismics, there are quite a few race situations that the extra thrust comes in handy. I'm not saying these are the 'best' truck for the rear, only that for some of us, they do indeed work.
"Surfin' these Old Hills since back in The Day"

Paul Howard

More Rear Seismic Stuff

Post by Paul Howard » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:46 pm

Eric, Yes I remember you at Morro Bay and I wish I'd had that Seismic in back that day (I had a steep neg wedge RT-X 127 rear and steep pos wedge RT-X 127 front) for big hybrid and it was way too reactive(speed wobbles at the bottom of the course). Good info you bring up, I'll have to stock that away in my head, Thanks-Paul
I just dig slalom!