Welcome!

Sesimic Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Daniel Gesmer

Daniel Gesmer
Seismic Skate Sys.
Seismic Skate Sys.

Post by Daniel Gesmer » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:43 pm

Welcome to the Seismic truck forum!

I encourage you to post any comments, questions or suggestions here - regarding not just the design and performance of Seismic-brand trucks, but the engineering and function of skateboard trucks in general.

It is my pleasure and privilege to participate in and moderate this dialogue. I look forward to a wide range of ideas and opinions.
Dan Gesmer
Head of Seismic Skate Systems
Email : dan@seismicskate.com
Tel : +1 720-937-8948

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:03 am

Hello Dan!

I have "wedged" a couple of Seismics to take out the steering in the rear position. Is there any thoughts on wedging techniques from you in regards to de-tuning and or alternative angle plates in the future?

Daniel Gesmer
Seismic Skate Sys.
Seismic Skate Sys.

Post by Daniel Gesmer » Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:05 pm

Wedging the rear truck to decrease steering geometry, regardless of the truck brand, can improve performance in many types of skateboarding, including slalom and longboarding. If you're thrusting through turns, a slower-responding rear truck generally enhances stability and traction just where you need it.

Seismic is preparing to introduce a new line that includes two baseplates with very distinct geometries: one a quick-turning 45-degrees, the other a stable-turning 30-degrees. (We're now in the torture-testing phase.) Both baseplates are compatible with all hangers, springs and assembly hardware.

This system will radically multiply the discerning skater's tuning options. We'll soon release a detailed announcement about the new line, which also includes additional tuning options...

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:12 am

I'm currently using a Seismic 110 as a front truck and find the return to center really seems to help in tight slalom.

Has anyone really experimented with different wedge angles on the front truck?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Gilmour on 2002-10-02 00:14 ]</font>

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:15 pm

Hey John!

Since 1994 I've run 110mm Seismics for my slalom board, thanks be to you, read on.

Uhh, this may be strange, but it may also be the reason why I run my front Seismic flat since you tipped me to Dan Gessmer in 94 when I got my first set of 110mm's. Slalom! magazine was in full swing, the Europeans were rocking and well, America was taking a nap in regards to slalom then, you and a few were not...

I think, even back then, you told me that the fronts shouldn't be wedged because the had, "plenty of turn." I've wedged 'em a couple of times since but have always returned to flat front, detune wedge rear. Even on a cambered board, where the camber will typically take out a little of the stearing, I still run them flat and I like it that way, but then again, I'm not a 1,000 of a second racer. I'm going on feel of the board/perceived speed/TS clean run.

So with you, I am curious if anyone runs them wedged up front and what is their experience.

[quote]
On 2002-10-02 00:12, John Gilmour wrote:
I'm currently using a Seismic 110 as a front truck and find the return to center really seems to help in tight slalom.

Has anyone really experimented with different wedge angles on the front truck?

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:07 pm

Because you are asking for different opinions...

I actually run my front Seismic truck wedged the other way. Maybe that is not a good idea and I don't remember how I came to that conclusion when I turned it that way back in 199x. But maybe I'm not that good a reference as I only use this specific board occasionally.

I used to run time comparisons between a Tracker midtrucks board and a Seismic board and times were always very close (often the best run would be within 5/100s of a second of the other board), but somehow I felt safer on the Tracker Trucks which I had used for years and years before the Seismics came out.

I won the French Championships in 1994 on an S-Camber with Seismic trucks. Possibly the first ever slalom victory on Seismics! And that on Live TV!

I actually think the springs have always been too hard. (And I am one of those with the precious super soft springs!) Somebody gave me the idea to try the front truck without springs (maybe the Japanese slalomers) and keep the springs only on the rear truck. Much to my surpise it actually worked quite OK. Not the same stability, but at least the board would react as fast as it possibly could.

I'm looking forward to give the new Seismics a try when they are ready.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:54 am

I know Paul Dunn had wedged his front seismic for more steer- but I felt that 45 degrees was already a lot of steer and there was no reason to add more load to the kingpin by increasing the steering angle. Perhaps on longer wheelbase decks it works better.

Riding the Seismics on a narrow deck like an S-camber takes away a bit of leverage on the truck and perhaps on a wider board the trucks will respond quicker with less effort.
Shaving down hte 110's to somthing like 88mm or 90mm might help on your s-camber. BTW you wouldn't have one of the thicker S-cambers available would you...mine was stolen in France and I have wanted to replace it since 1995.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:14 pm

Though I pretty much just skate for fun...I recently mounted a Wayne Brown front Rad-Pad under a 110 on the nose of my Roe Bottle Rocket...and for the first time, I wedged the rear 110 about 30 degrees and the damn thing rips. I now agree w/ JG & Vlad that the rear truck doesn't always need to be offset. (especially for TS) The front silver springs are loose while I have the rear silvers tightened down all the way. I may give the red springs a go if it doesn't snow soon. I look forward to testing new Seismic products in the near future.