Problem with Seismic pivot pin/nut

Sesimic Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Daniel Gesmer

Thomas Vernet

Post by Thomas Vernet » Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:50 pm

I've got a brand new pair of Seismic 135mm trucks.
Some weeks ago, I changed the springs of one of the trucks and I had no problem, although it's not easy.

Then I tried to change the springs of the other truck. Almost as soon as I unscrewed the pivot pin, the nut started to turn inside its hole. Now the hole is damaged, and I can't screw nor unscrew the pivot pin, and I feel like the baseplate is damaged.
But I was very carefull when I unscrewed the pivot pin!

I feel like this nut system is very fragile and poorly designed.

What do you think of this?
Anyone knows how I can repair it?
Or how to contact Seismic? (I had no answer from the email on their website).

Many thanks.

And take care : Seismic are fragile stuff!!
a.k.a. Mwanawimbi

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:03 pm

Thomas,

We'll be meeting on the next slalom session in Paris and I'll bring you another base plate.

I haven't seen this problem before and I've unscrewed a few so far.

Normally Dan is very quick to answer, it could be that he has been travelling, or taken a day off (but that would be unlikely as he hasn't taken a day off as far as I known him).

/Jani

Thomas Vernet

Post by Thomas Vernet » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:46 am

Thanx Jani!

Jeff Bozi
Boziboards
Boziboards

Post by Jeff Bozi » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:41 am

Hey there,
As you unscrew the kingpin, sometimes the kingpin will not back out, but instead the nut will travel down , & if it was partially out of the hole, then maybe it spun & reamed out the lower section? Is the nut deffinitly all the way up in there, like you cant see any of the side of the nut more or less, Yes? If it doesnt appear to be as far up in as the nut in the other assembled truck, you may need to tap it i all the way. It would be hard to see reaming out the hole with the nut all the way in, but stranger things have happened.
I know Dans been traveling alot, if you dont hear back from him, let me know, I'l send you a base plate if it turns out you nut is indeed all the way in & spinning.
Seeya, Bozi

Thomas Vernet

Post by Thomas Vernet » Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:49 pm

Many thanks for your help, guys!

Yes, the nut spinned inside its socket. Almost as soon as I unscrewed. I guess "plastic" socket is a rather fragile thing...That's why this kind of design is very rare everywhere else!

Anyway, Jani gave me a new baseplate (thanks again! It's nice of you).

But it took me almost 2 hours and a half to unscrew the pin from the damaged baseplate/nut!!
I had to cut the plastic around the nut, then I tried to saw the pin, and finally I sawed the nut itself!!
Now I've got yellow springs and they're much better than the red ones.

From what I've seen on Jani's metal Seismic prototypes, this could not happen on the new trucks, as the nut is not in a plastic socket (hopefully).