Coming Soon!...

Sesimic Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Daniel Gesmer

Daniel Gesmer
Seismic Skate Sys.
Seismic Skate Sys.

Post by Daniel Gesmer » Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:00 pm

In May 2003, Seismic will introduce a new truck line that will radically multiply the discerning skater's tuning options. An outline of the main points is below.

Four All-Metal Hanger Widths
105mm (6.8" axle)
130mm (7.8" axle)
155mm (8.8" axle)
180mm (9.8" axle)

Both New School and Old School Mounting Holes

Two Baseplate Geometries – Quick-turning 45° and Stable-turning 30°
Both baseplates compatible with all hangers, springs and hardware.

World’s Most Advanced Technology and Construction
- Progressive-rate dual spring system with tension adjustment and anti-buckling (profiled in Scientific American, June 1997, p. 135) – for maneuverability with control, stability and power
- Rock-steady steering geometry – for totally predictable turning response
- Industry-leading body styling (including weight-saving cutouts in 105mm and 130mm hangers)
- Hybrid two-part baseplates (metal lower, composite upper)
- Low-friction bearing interface
- Bulletproof kingpin fastening
- Kingpin shoulder recessed inside baseplate for greater strength

Two Spring Families
High-rebound metal coil springs and high-dampening polymer springs, both available in multiple color-coded strengths. Entire system reengineered for larger range of spring compression/hanger articulation. High-rebound springs reengineered with more progressive rate profiles. Adjustable tension, easily exchanged for softer or harder springs. Wrenches included.
New high-rebound spring strengths include Bone Max-Light, Bright Green Super-Light, Blue Extra-Heavy, and Black Super-Heavy. (Not all spring formulas will be immediately available.)

Axle Height
Originally designed with moderate (56mm) axle height to accommodate a variety of wheel sizes. The new 30-degree baseplate positions the axle slightly lower.

Light Weight
11 - 14 ounces each, depending on hanger width, baseplate geometry and spring type/strength.

Versatile and Competition-Tested
With four widths, two geometries and multiple spring strengths in both high-rebound and high-dampening formulas, the new line of Seismic trucks offers more tuning options than any other truck product line in the history of the skateboard industry. This promises superior performance for longboarding, slalom, downhill, all-purpose cruising, Old School park/pool styling, and even street! Seismic technology helped propel three out of the top four racers at the 2001 World Championships of Slalom Skateboarding.

Patent Status
The original model was patented in 1993 (U.S. #5,263,725) and predates cheap imitations seen in the off-road board market. International patents are pending on the new generation.

Standard Spring Configurations and Recommended Uses
- 105mm/30-degree - Yellow Extra-Light springs:
Narrow street & downhill boards; Rear of tight slalom boards
- 105mm/45-degree - Bright Green Super-Light springs:
Narrow longboards; Front of tight slalom boards
- 130mm/30-degree - Dampening Polymer Springs or Yellow Extra-Light springs:
Street boards; Rear of giant slalom & pool/park boards; Narrow downhill boards
- 130mm/45-degree - Yellow Extra-Light springs:
Narrow longboards; Front of giant slalom & pool/park boards
- 155mm/30-degree - Red Light springs:
Vert boards; Rear of pool/park boards; Downhill boards
- 155mm/45-degree - Yellow Extra-Light springs:
Longboards; Front of pool/park boards
- 180mm/30-degree - Red Light springs:
Wide vert boards; Rear of wide pool/park boards; Downhill boards
- 180mm/45-degree - Yellow Extra-Light springs:
Wide longboards; Front of wide pool/park boards
Dan Gesmer
Head of Seismic Skate Systems
Email : dan@seismicskate.com
Tel : +1 720-937-8948

Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson » Fri May 02, 2003 10:51 am

I'm glad the new metal seismics will be available soon, i'm one owner who has had 4 nylon baseplates crack, two after bails and kerb impact,one during a race and one after the kingpin nut fell out....however apart from these troubles its a hella nice truck to use and race on.

W. Kilner

Post by W. Kilner » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:37 pm

<hr width="95%" color="green">
<font size="1"><i>In May 2003, Seismic will introduce a new truck line </i></font><hr width="95%" color="green">

May is over, so what's the new ETA for the <b>metal</b> Sesmic?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: W. Kilner on 2003-06-02 17:46 ]</font>

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:14 am

they're available
I've just try it once with a street skateboard but but it seems to be good trucks
You can see them on http://www.coneRacing.com (but the server seems to be down at the moment)

W. Kilner

Post by W. Kilner » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:33 am

But are they actually <i>in stores</i>? I know that they've appeared at various events, and a few people have been test riding them. I'm really looking forward to trying these out!

Vincent Berruchon
Vinzzzzz
Vinzzzzz

Post by Vincent Berruchon » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:19 pm

ConeRacing.com is an online store!
But it's perhaps not series products but prototypes???

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:08 pm

New Seismics are nice. I’m definitely getting a pair for longboard slalom and I already got a pair for a short board. They work great with softer responsive boards.

Sean Dawkins

Post by Sean Dawkins » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:57 pm

V:-

Where'd you get your new Seismics?

SD

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:59 pm

I have connections.

A couple of weeks ago Dan came to the Whitehouse as a special guest (as a Yale graduate) for George Bush’s Yale class reunion and left a pair of protos by accident. So I thought the trucks were meant for Bush, and went to the Whitehouse the next day. But George said that playing war games gives him more kicks then slalom, and “you (I) could keep the trucks”. He did tell his security to copy the trucks’ action, so that it could be used “on a tank somewhere or something”. He liked the new springs. Mostly because they are “all cute and colorful”.

I tried longboard metal Seismics on Bozi’s GS prototype (board comes with trucks) and found the ride to be extremely rewarding. I think if one could get board’s snap/response working in unison with springs rebound, it’d be something.

Vlad.

Sean Dawkins

Post by Sean Dawkins » Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:13 pm

Connections, eh? Well, I got the "canned" response from Seismic when I e-mailed them ("Two Weeks", kinda like Schwarzenegger on Mars right before his head explodes...) Guess I'd better up my $$ contribution to Bush's re-election campaign if I want to see some anytime soon or have a chat with Condolezza Rice. BTW, how'd they work on TS?

Vlad Popov
Moscow-Washington
Moscow-Washington

Post by Vlad Popov » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:08 am

I dunno. Haven't tried them on TS. But I do know that George W. will be at the Northern Virginia Community College tomorrow. Some prep work is being done there as I type. I think I have more connections with Bush then with Seismics at this point...and would wish for the oposite.
Vlad.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:15 pm

The metal Seimics at ConeRacing.com are prototypes, but as far as I know the production 110 mm trucks should be close if not identical to the prototypes available. On the other truck sizes some clever redesign was done to shave off material to make them lighter. For slalom weight doesn't really matter, or it works the other way around. (Vlad, you might need to put on some weight.)

The best thing about the new metal Seismics are the different hanger angles available. The 45 degree truck works like the old ones, the new 30 degree truck is a very good rear truck. For tight slalom I'd use lighter springs than the standard yellow (especially for the front truck) and there should soon be some available (as for myself, yes I have connections too, but my connections are better with Dan than with the Bush clan). I've tried some of the new softer springs, and that's what I'll be using from now on. For giant and easy courses I will certainly keep the original yellow spring in the back.

Sean Dawkins

Post by Sean Dawkins » Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:31 am

Soooooo, you think that these babies will be available in 2003, or do we have to wait until the Republican National Convention??

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

8mm axles

Post by Sam Gordon » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:46 pm

A short while back there were discussions as to the possibility of a small run of 8mm axled hangers for the metal 105s to replace the existing numbers. The engineering was to be carried out by Geezer-X at Monkeywrench Machine Works.

It will be a great improvement to an already excellent turning truck.

I realize that with small amounts of work such as this, economies of scale are minimal and that completion dates are beholden to the time available.

Nevertheless, are there any projected dates for availabilty and expected cost?

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:06 am

Hey Sam, I had heard that Geezer had gotten special "hardened" stock of 8mm rod. So if someone wanted the Seismic with that I'm sure that he could. I thought he mentioned something about this "hardened" stock costing just a tad more.

I like all my conventional trucks that have been Geezerized. This will be a good thing for hardcore Seismic users.

Barry Gourley

8mm axles

Post by Barry Gourley » Tue May 11, 2004 9:41 pm

I would go for a set of 8mm axles on seismics. I have been thinking about it.
Thanks,
Barry

Barry Gourley

seismics

Post by Barry Gourley » Tue May 18, 2004 3:28 pm

Glen,
i talked to geezer a few days ago and he told me that he couldn't put 8mm axles in the aluminum seismic because the axle is cast into the hanger. Geezer said he was running a batch of 200 seismics for Dan and he confirmed this and they should be coming out soon. I really dint want to have to buy a complete new set just to have the 8mm axles.

Hay Dan,
how about selling some hangers with the 8mm axles by themselves?
Thanks,
Barry