nylons, aggros, gnarly pivot, extracks???? huh????

Tracker Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Buddy Carr

ur13

Post by ur13 » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:56 am

I sent this as an e-mail to someone and they mentioned I should post it here, it was a good idea.

So, ever wonder about all that stuff...here is what I have found out.

Tracker traditionally has had 5 hanger widths, as follows (this is from memory)

half track = 65mm
mid track = 85mm
full track - 106mm
extrack = 130mm (there abouts)
sixtrack = 160mm (?)

halftracks are too narrow for modern courses (well msot), sixtracks are good downhill trucks and people like them on pool decks. mids and fulls are common and extracks are a little less common. Thehalftracks have the most extreme geometry (highest rool center) mid/extracks share the same geometry while the fulls/sixtracks share another geometry (low profile, low roll center). The difference is slight, the pivot is a little higher (like 1/8", if that) on the half (bit more here)/mid/extrack making a turney truck. The fulls/sixs are more stable. The new RT-S is about 1/4" higher than the fulls, same pivot design. The RT-X is a brand new pivot design for tracker (for slalom, shares alot with some of the street trucks).

Where to find extracks? Well e-bay, buy sell trade on ncdsa. oldschoolskates.com , they ain't cheap. If you find them you will be loving life in GS and cruising. The new RT-S 129mm coming out will be as good as extracks, so if you don't feel like searching wait until thanksgiving for tracker to let the bigger RT-Ss out. pictures of extracks (with b-2 baseplates are here).

http://www.ncdsa.com/usr/ur13/leemo_1.htm

Aggros. Well. The "aggro quicktrack" was a hardcore, burly vert truck tracker made in the mid 80s. floating axle, hanger around 160mm (?), the aggro baseplate and the stimulator bushings that everyone loves now...all were from the aggro truck.

What rocks about trackers is that you have alot of baseplate options with gnarly pivots. You have the classic baseplate, the nylon baseplate, the aggro baseplate and the B-2 baseplate...all have slightly difference kingpin angles/height resulting in different turn feel. Out of that list the Aggro is the most extreme angle, the nylon is the next and the b-2 and classic baseplates are about the same. For pictures go here;

http://www.ncdsa.com/usr/ur13/tracker_bp3_1.htm

Tracker has had "gnarly pivots" and "original pivots". The org pivots date from the 70s and many claim have a better feel. But when vert/pool/street skating hit int he 80s the original pivots always broke so they beefed it up to the gnarly pivot. I prefer the ganrly pivot turn feel. Here is a picture of the difference;

http://www.ncdsa.com/usr/ur13/tracker_s_w_1.htm

rad pads...WELL...ebay is your only bet for these. They are rubber wedges dateing fromt he 70s, chris yandall and wayne brown signature ones. They came in a few different sizes. System 1 (the one I like) was a 8* front and a 14* back, soft for dampening on stiff decks (like the stiff turners I ride them on), system 2 was two 8* wedges, softer rubber for flexy decks like fibreflexes. System 3 was flat urethane and system 4 was about 7* for freestyle. I paid over $60 each set on e-bay for these. I've seen them go as cheap as $20 and as much as $100. Here are pictures;

http://www.ncdsa.com/usr/ur13/radpad.htm

Leonardo Ojeda
Venezuelan Racer
Venezuelan Racer

Post by Leonardo Ojeda » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:40 pm

Chris or Buddy, i have 3 slalom starter decks and they come with 106mm hangers on B2 base plate, there is a lot of wheelbite with this setup using any wheel, i compared the height of the trucks with some indys and seismics and the B2 baseplate its significant lower than the rest of the truck, if i use indys i dont get wheelbite even if i am using 70mm wheels.
so if i ad risers to the B2 baseplate to "match" the adecuate height and avoid weheelbite.
are the risers going to change a lot the way it the trucks works?

thanx
leo
"I`ll see you at the end of the hill"

W. Kilner

Post by W. Kilner » Thu May 22, 2003 4:38 am

I don't recall the Aggro w/ a floater axle*. I <i>do</i> recall the truck that was simply called the Tracker Floater. I have a set. These came out in the early 90s, and they were put out as a solution to slipping axles and axle jams when street skating went super-tech. You couldn't slip the axle, since it was already loose. You could also use E-clips to secure your wheels instead of nylon locknuts. These were springsteel clips that sort of snapped onto the axle thread, but they could very easily come off while riding. The Floaters were noisy as hell, and the worst Tracker truck, if not one of the worst skateboard trucks of all time (by a major manufacturer).

In addition to Tracker baseplates that have been made out of aluminum, magnesium, and nylon (Ultralite), at various times, they also released a graphite baseplate at the same time the Floater was released. Never had any though.

*I could be wrong about the Aggro if they did release a version with a floating axle, but the set I have has a fixed axle.