setting up an rts offset?

Tracker Skateboard Trucks

Moderator: Buddy Carr

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

setting up an rts offset?

Post by Erin Riffel » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:46 am

I have never set up this type of truck before and need some help. I am trying to get cambrias on this rear truck and am wondering how the spacing is supposed to work. The trucks came with two brass 'spacer' like rings plus one speed ring per side. Now normally I run a speed ring, the wheel, another speed ring and then the axle nut.

On the rts, it seems I need both of those brass spacer type rings to be against the hanger body for the wheels to spin freely. Then there is loads of room between the wheel and the axle nut. I tried putting some washers in there to tighten things up and although I can tighten down the axle nut there is still more play in the wheel than I would like.* As well, this seems like a crude way to set up the wheels....there must be a more sopshisticated method that I just don't know about. Can you enlighten me?

*I also tried a spacer between the speed ring and the axle nut but that really didn't work - it caused the wheel to bind.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Spacers & washers1

Post by Claude Regnier » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:17 pm

Erin!

Yes, you need to adjust the spacers, speed rings, washers and brass fittings to make it fit properly.

*I also tried a spacer between the speed ring and the axle nut but that really didn't work - it caused the wheel to bind.
This should work but try it without the speed ring as the spacer alone should do the trick. when you need a wider setting the Spacer or brass fittings go between the wheels and the hanger edge.

Once you get it adjusted and set up you will like it. It does take a little experimenting with all the different trucks and components out there.
Many Happy Pumps!

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:39 am

Claude, there doesn't seem to be enough spacers. I need two inside the wheel and at least one or two between the wheel and the axle nut. (The trucks came with two spacers per side. )

Any idea what I could use as a spacer because regular bearing spacers are too big and the washers that I dug out of my tool box are also too big.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:47 am

lets see if i am understanding this correctly, are you saying that if you just put a speed ring between the wheel and the hanger that the wheel hits the "arms" on the offset?
No vestido para mi

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Spacers

Post by Claude Regnier » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:48 am

I'll take a look at my set-ups and send you some extra spacers. Did you try one regular wheel spacer? That's probably a touch too wide.

I'll check and e-mail you directly tomorow or later tonight.
Many Happy Pumps!

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:15 am

Adam Daniels wrote:lets see if i am understanding this correctly, are you saying that if you just put a speed ring between the wheel and the hanger that the wheel hits the "arms" on the offset?
Adam, with the cambrias on the rts offset, there has to be two brass spacers between the wheel and the body of the hanger or else the wheels rub. Then the trouble is there are no spacers left over on the other side, between the wheel and the axle nut*.

Thanks for checking on a few more bits to dial up the trucks Claude. Sorry to be a bother about this but this type of truck is new to me and I didn't realize what it would take to get the wheels set up on it.

(*and yeah I did try a bearing spacer but it is a tad too wide )

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:41 pm

Go to your local bike shop and ask to see their box of chain link spacers. They will fit your axles and you’ll find them in a variety of sizes from 2-8mm. They’re perfect for what you’re looking for. Use them on the hanger side and use your speed rings on the nut side. They’re basically like a normal spacer cut in half, or thirds, or quarters. Pick up a few sizes and you’ll like the versatility you’ll have adjusting truck widths.

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:33 pm

Noah Heinle wrote:Go to your local bike shop and ask to see their box of chain link spacers. They will fit your axles and you’ll find them in a variety of sizes from 2-8mm. They’re perfect for what you’re looking for. Use them on the hanger side and use your speed rings on the nut side. They’re basically like a normal spacer cut in half, or thirds, or quarters. Pick up a few sizes and you’ll like the versatility you’ll have adjusting truck widths.
Ok thanks, that helps a lot. I can see in theory how to fool around with the spacing but just didn't know where to find the right bits...that part of the mystery is now solved...yay!

Do Cambrias have to be trimmed to be able to sit next to the hanger side?

Noah Heinle
Noah

Post by Noah Heinle » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:56 pm

I think that depends on who made your offset and how.

Erin Riffel
Erin
Erin

Post by Erin Riffel » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:32 am

Good luck, I managed to find some 8mm Krypto bearing spacers that worked perfectly between the wheels and the axle nut. So finally I was able to test out the offset. And what fun that was! TS has never felt like so good!!

Mike Cividino

Post by Mike Cividino » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:53 am

Noah Heinle wrote:Go to your local bike shop and ask to see their box of chain link spacers. They will fit your axles and you’ll find them in a variety of sizes from 2-8mm. They’re perfect for what you’re looking for. Use them on the hanger side and use your speed rings on the nut side. They’re basically like a normal spacer cut in half, or thirds, or quarters. Pick up a few sizes and you’ll like the versatility you’ll have adjusting truck widths.
Noah, cant thank you enough for this tip!!!! they are PERFECT!!! I grabbed tons, never cranked down my offset this tight and had it spin so fast.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:56 am

i will have to check my basement for those because i used to work at a local bike shop when i used to race bmx. i have a whole box of misc chains down there.....

....ah, the good 'ol days
No vestido para mi

Jamie Merrifield

spacers

Post by Jamie Merrifield » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:43 pm

I think Noah meant Chain ring spacers. For axle spacers you need small chainring spacers (8mm ID). I use the large chainring spacers for kingpin spacers!