ZigZags?

Abec 11 Skateboard Wheels

Moderator: Chris Chaput

Sean Cunningham

ZigZags?

Post by Sean Cunningham » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:50 pm

Just wondering... but why no discussion of the ZigZags or Sick Sicks or Seven-O's on here?

I thought that there would be lots of talk about them... since the wheels are supposed to be excellent for slalom and all...

When in doubt... eat a pie!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:15 pm

There's been some but only in the Dark Side of the Cone topic. So far I just see it as rumours. Maybe Chris will post here once it gets closer to launch?

/Jani

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:41 pm

That day is (supposedly) on its way soon.

Im interested.
"I like symmetry and geometric shapes"
"I wanted my head to appear small, and the easiest way to do that was to make my body bigger."

Sean Cunningham

Post by Sean Cunningham » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:54 pm

Justin Pannulla wrote:That day is (supposedly) on its way soon.

Im interested.
I think, but I'm not sure, that the release of the ZigZags will be January 16th...
Roughly 2 weeks...

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:37 pm

Soooo................... will these wheels be sold in sets of six?

Kidding!
"I wanted my head to appear small, and the easiest way to do that was to make my body bigger."

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:36 am

Read about them on SilverfishLongboarding.com:

I ride fast boards, slowly.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:12 pm

89A? 92A?

rmn
Feel the flow – Airflow Skateboards

Real skateboard wheels come in green – ABEC11

Enjoy the ride – GOG Slalom & DH Trucks

Marty Schaub
Old LaCosta Boy
Old LaCosta Boy

Check it

Post by Marty Schaub » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:11 pm

Check the Vendors Corner at NCDSA. Chris has posted quite a bit of detail on the new stuff.
La Costa Boy For Life

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:38 pm

Chris Chaput brought the entire line of ZigZags out to Pump Station, yesterday, for an open testing/practice session with the SilverfishLongboarding and La Costa Boys Racing crews. It turned into a skatefest, actually, but we all had a chance to ride the ZigZags in on the Hybrid and GS courses.

The wheels appear to be well-made and well-thought in the design. Chaput's tech-talk about how they are designed to perform certainly seemed to validate on the race courses and as he had us change durometers or diameters.

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:59 pm

In that pic, the pink seven-O's look pretty-much the same, exept a bit wider, is that an optical illusion?
I cant tell!

Chris Barrett
Skurfskater
Skurfskater

Post by Chris Barrett » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:17 pm

they're 1mm wider.

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:21 pm

Wow, i cant believe i caught that!

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:01 am

I should have a set 86-83 duro on door step tomorrow, can't wait. Eddy Texas Outlaws.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Zig Zagga ahh!

Post by Michael Stride » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:13 pm

We will have them in the UK and for shipping to mainland Europe on Tuesday/Wednesday. We also have the other Abec11 wheels too!

http://www.octanesport.com
updated, improved and damn fine website!!!!

Jeff Boswell

Post by Jeff Boswell » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:45 am

Thanks Abec 11 for the quick delivery of the zig zag wheels, the red retros look awesome, they bring back a lot of good memories.

Our local roads are wet, I’m bummin big time

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:30 pm

What duro are those sexy red ZigZags?

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:40 pm

Those are pink and 78A soft

rmn

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:48 pm

I meant the clear red ones.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:02 pm

Oh, I'm sorry. I suppose those are 78A, too.

rmn
Last edited by Ramón Königshausen on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:06 pm

It's ok, thank you though Ramon!

I've got to get a set of those, i was going to get those "road rider" cambrias, but they were a bit small for my taste, and my size, but these have that road rideresque look to them and the size seems to be better suited for me.

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:09 pm

Just check on www.geoskate.com they'll soon be offering the Avalon in Roadrider red as well.

EDIT: They are offering it

rmn

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:16 pm

I have the clear red Cambrias and also the clear red ZigZags. Aside from the different feel and performance from the different shapes, the colors are different, too. The 3dm wheels are crystal clear red and the Retros are darker red and not quite as clear...very much like a Sims wheel used to be, actually. Both are 78a, btw.

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:21 pm

I think ill get the zigzags in 70mm for my longboard and the red avs for my slalom board.

Since I cant pick just one!!!!

Thanks for the info Erik!

Sean Cunningham

Post by Sean Cunningham » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:01 am

Erik Basil wrote:I have the clear red Cambrias and also the clear red ZigZags. Aside from the different feel and performance from the different shapes, the colors are different, too. The 3dm wheels are crystal clear red and the Retros are darker red and not quite as clear...very much like a Sims wheel used to be, actually. Both are 78a, btw.
Now Mr. Basil...

The $64,000 question is...

Which do you like more?

Heh heh heh...

Your honest opinion, please. We don't want that friendship that you have with Chaput getting in the way of views... :)

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:10 pm

Ha ha!!

Okay, regardless of utility, I still have an unreasonably soft spot in my heart for clear, red wheels. I even like the look of the clear, red Kryptos.

The clear, red Cambrias look really good and ride very soft. The red is very Road-Riderey when you look at them from the side, and the embossed/recessed 3dm logo is appropriately retro looking. They are crystal clear and you can see every detail of the black core when they're new or clean. I am too heavy for that formula of urethane and that lip design...I tore up the lips just practicing at Pump Station. My wife, who weighs almost exactly half my tonnage, found them to be grippy and fast. I've heard that hardcore slalom racers prefer the opaque 3dm formulas and Dan Gesmer did tell me that it's a different formula than what's used in his race wheels.

Using the same bearings, I found the 66mm clear, red ZigZags look good, but are darker and less translucent. Chaput explained to the crowd that his now classic low-duro formula cannot be "crystal clear" at 78a, and that he didn't want to use a different 'thane. I can live with that, because the color and clear cores give the wheels a very "Sims" look, enhanced by the brilliantly-devised all-white graphics that are different from those on other ZigZags. On the same course, practicing longer, I caused no damage to the wheel lips and found them to be very grippy, moreso than the narrower Cambrias. My wife felt the same way and actually turned faster times with them in practice. She raced them at Pump Station and said she felt alarmed because they were faster than the Cambrias...she asked me to pull out the Biltins and run bearings without spacers to slow the board.

So, just comparing those two "red translucents" to one another, I give my preference to the ZigZags, regardless of who makes them. Dan and Chris are both nice guys.

Now, the red translucent surge isn't over: Tunnel Rocks has one that just came out of the molds, too. We posted a photo over on that other site. It's not a slalom wheel, of course, but just sayin'...

Brian Peck
Pizzle
Pizzle

Post by Brian Peck » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:30 am

After poking around Geoskate, I guess Dan Gesmer has released BOTH the Avalons and Avilas and Road-Rider Red as well. Crystal clear red Avilas appeal to me way too much :(

Justin Pannulla
Justin Thyme
Justin Thyme

Post by Justin Pannulla » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:50 am

Avilas too!?

Damn!

Im going to go broke!

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:04 pm

I knew the Avilas were coming out that way, but I just noticed that the duro is listed as 73a for the crystal-clear red. That explains a little about why I was tearing my Cambrias apart! That's a big hunk of 'thane!

I gotta get me a set of the 70mm "Red Rider" Zig Zags to go on a board that needs bigger wheels than the '66 versions I've got but that my "solid red" Avilas (74a) are too big for.

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:54 pm

Erik Basil wrote:The wheels appear to be well-made and well-thought in the design.
They are not exactly like the HotSpot, are they ? ;)

Who brings a bit of live testing enthusiasm, please ?

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:38 pm

Well....The Zig Zags are great. VEry predictable slide, but grippy and fast and BRIGHT> the 66mm will be perfect for euro tight.

Bear in mind I sell the wheels so I am totally biased. BUT I only sell stuff I like.

Etienne de Bary
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne de Bary » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:34 pm

We do not sell small wheels at all, we would do the big ones i think...

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:48 pm

Good.

Because the 66mms are PERFECT for tight slalom. But what would I know?

Not selling the 66's would be a DUMB move, but great for me as I ship to France. In fact I already have!

USED to be the best slalom shop in Europe
Until we started to give skaters a choice...

http://www.octanesport.com

Ramón Königshausen
Airflow - Skateboards
Airflow - Skateboards

Post by Ramón Königshausen » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:29 am

It's a matter of taste.

"q.e.d."

rmn

Erik Basil

Post by Erik Basil » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:16 pm

Etienne de Bary wrote:
Erik Basil wrote:The wheels appear to be well-made and well-thought in the design.
They are not exactly like the HotSpot, are they ? ;)
Well, no. Neither the Manx nor ZigZags are "like" the Hot Spot, which is a great wheel, basically a new mold of a "trimmed 3dm". If you go to the gun-totin' cowboys of slalom website, you'll find profile shots that should make it pretty clear for you if you are familar with the cross-sections of the wheels.

I hear that those guys are working on a "Which Wheels Survive an A-Bomb" article. They have to shoot it in Tahiti, though. :lol:

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:18 pm

this has probably been said before but:

For a rider of about 100lbs, what would grip better? a 75a grippin on 129mm rts or a 78a red zig zag on 110mm rts?
No vestido para mi

Sean Cunningham

Post by Sean Cunningham » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:35 pm

Adam Daniels wrote:this has probably been said before but:

For a rider of about 100lbs, what would grip better? a 75a grippin on 129mm rts or a 78a red zig zag on 110mm rts?
Doesn't Rustyburrito have 75a Grippins on his S10s? Why don't you try them on the 129mm rts and see how it is? Then, if you want a different feel, pick up a pair of the zigzagzogs. Just a suggestion.

Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels
Adam Daniels

Post by Adam Daniels » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:15 pm

Sean Cunningham wrote:

Doesn't Rustyburrito have 75a Grippins on his S10s? Why don't you try them on the 129mm rts and see how it is? Then, if you want a different feel, pick up a pair of the zigzagzogs. Just a suggestion.
he does have 75a grippins but they slide a ton on his s10's. i use 78a avalons on my s6's and they never slide...

i currently have 75a grippins rear and 81a front on my 129mm rtx-s. but i was just asking the question so i won't have to pay for it when i push to get around a high speed offset :)
No vestido para mi

Sean Cunningham

Post by Sean Cunningham » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:04 pm

Adam Daniels wrote:
Sean Cunningham wrote:

he does have 75a grippins but they slide a ton on his s10's. i use 78a avalons on my s6's and they never slide...

i currently have 75a grippins rear and 81a front on my 129mm rtx-s. but i was just asking the question so i won't have to pay for it when i push to get around a high speed offset :)
Aha... true true. And also, those wheels on his S10s are probably killed out of their minds. First off they are centerset, which Scott doesn't recommend for the trucks... Anywho, I'd suggest you get the 78a zigzags or, the 80a zigzags, the reflex thane is amazing, and although the duro is a bit higher, they still grip like MAD.

Maria Carrasco
SK8KINGS - ISSA Vice President
SK8KINGS - ISSA Vice President

New 89a duro ZigZags, Pink Gumballs & more

Post by Maria Carrasco » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:34 pm

Just spreading the word since I've had lots of inquiries on these new limited edition wheels and they are in stock now at SK8KINGS.COM:

We have stock on all sizes and duros of ZigZags (these are a hot item & all the feedback has been positive) and Red Riders too for same day shipping. Take advantage of the Biltin Bearing Combo promo -- add a set for just $10 to your wheel order. Min order for promo is 4 wheels. Click below for details or to place an order.

ORDER GUMBALLS, ZIGZAGS & MORE HERE

Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon
Sam Gordon

ZigZag

Post by Sam Gordon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:05 am

For most competitive racers, traction is 90% technique. If you don't stomp down on the back wheels then whatever you run is going to slide. The similar shapes between Hot Spots and ZigZags mean that they should respond in roughly similar fashion. That the former is more narrow and less high suggests that it should work best as a faster turning front wheel. The Reflex mix of the ZigZag, however, is more comfortable in soft formulas (yet equally as responsive) and therefore lends itself to being a back wheel. It does cone in a comparatively short space of time, but this can be a bonus for those looking for improved traction above all else. Both brands of wheels do seem equally as fast and grippy given similar environments.

In other words, if you're gonna go, then WAHEEEEYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!