Milled Avalons

Seismic / 3dm Skateboard Wheels

Moderator: Daniel Gesmer

Adam Trahan
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Phoenix, AZ, USA

Post by Adam Trahan » Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:25 am

I noticed many racers at Avila/Morro using a milled version of the Avalon wheel. If I am not mistaken, I think I even saw a set milled in the inside (JG)

Can anyone (HG) provide insight into the reason(s) to alter the profile of this great wheel?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I saw many more white and grey wheels than I saw green at the Avila/Morro races, interesting.

Howard Gordon
1953-2010 (RIP)
1953-2010 (RIP)

Post by Howard Gordon » Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:08 am

Yes - some used the "trimmed" versions of Avalons that we provide, which have approx 2.5mm removed from the outer lip. But a number of racers took more material off, both from the inner as well as outer lip, probably in the range of 4mm-8mm total. Basically, there's a tradeoff between traction and speed/agility, where less lip produces less rolling/turning resistance, and the optimal amount of trim will vary with course conditions. In any case, the Avalons have certainly proved to be a very versatile wheel.

Eddy Martinez
Texas Outlaw
Texas Outlaw

Post by Eddy Martinez » Mon May 12, 2003 4:26 am

I witnessed psychovlad riding trimmed Avalons at the Luna Slalom Jam. The dude flew by like a bat out of hell. Maybe he knows something we dont. Didnt Chicken also ride trimmed Avalons at his win at the World Championships. Eddy Texas Outlaw Martinez

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Mon May 12, 2003 9:08 pm

Eddy,
Take a look at the post that Chicken posted about trimming Avalon's here:

<a href=viewtopic.php?topic=823&forum=125 > Trimming 3DM Wheels: click here</a>

I don't think you'll find a better and quicker way than this at home, using the metal handheld grinder. You could also put the edge of the wheel, mounted on a hanger, up to the "side" a stationary metal bench grinders grinding-wheel too. As you can see in Chickens post the wheel is spinning.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: glenn on 2003-05-13 13:07 ]</font>