Sweden - wooden ramp in Täby

Starting Line (Ramp)

Moderators: Jani Soderhall, Henry Hester

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Sweden - wooden ramp in Täby

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:04 pm

Here are a few pictures of an old ramp we had built in 1978. It was used for quite a few local races until the early 80's.

It's primary advantage was the heavy weight so that it would not lift when two racers pulled off at the same time.

It also had a convenient transition, although straight, and a slight rounding where the ramp hit the street. It is important to make this rounding of rather solid steel because any softer metal will easily bend after plenty of runs over the final bend. In the beginning it was all wood, as on the picture, but it was replaced after a some rainy days with steel.

Another great advantage of this ramp was that it could be taken apart and transported without a single screw or bolt being used. The carpenter figured it all out himself and it was great for transportation and for winter storage.

These pictures were taken on the very day of the installation of these ramps.

That's my brother Larsi going down the ramp the very first time. Probably on an Alva board with Tracker mid and red Kryptonics 65 mm.

Mattias Gustavsson
Mattias
Mattias

Post by Mattias Gustavsson » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:28 am

Jani, this ramp looks like the startramps that Newsport house/KF built. it was in 1978 too, i guess?

http://www.mollberg.com/skateboard/hist ... ana_s1.jpg

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:35 pm

Mattias,

This ramp was done by a carpenter that we asked to work on it. I don't remember what model we gave him to get started. The really cool thing was that he made it possible to assemble without any screws at all. It fit together like a puzzle.

/Jani