Buying a system...opinions?

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

jeff bonny

Buying a system...opinions?

Post by jeff bonny » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:06 am

Looking for a system for training but more importantly to revive slalom racing here in Vancouver, BC. I'm vaguely familiar in my distant past with ski race systems but can't come close to affording a Tag. Any complete, accurate and relaible systems out there for dual and single courses in the $1K-ish range or am I dreamin'?

Thanks.
jeff

Pat Chewning
Pat C.
Pat C.

Timing System for Vancouver BC

Post by Pat Chewning » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:37 am

I tried to answer this question for someone in the past and this is what I told them:
================

The Chronocone timer is better than the Trakmate for certain things.
The Trakmate timer is better than the Chronocone for certain things.

I would choose a Trakmate:
For small local contests
If I didn't have or want a computer.
For ease of portability and ease of use (set-up)
If I didn't mind hand-entering the data into a computer or hand-written time sheet.
If I can afford about $200 just for the timer (without switches, wires, etc)
If I need a timer RIGHT NOW

I would choose a Chronocone:
For races with more than 20 people.
If I already have a computer (e.g. to do a spreadsheet for the race).
If I don't mind putting in the additional effort and hassle of set-up
If I value the speed of instant spreadsheet entry and results.
If I can afford the wait to get one (there are only 6 in existence, next build is probably this winter for delivery in Spring '05)

A Chronocone will cost less than a Trackmate IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A COMPUTER.

If you dont' already have a computer, then the Chronocone costs about $400 more than a Trackmate.

For both timing systems, there is also a major expense for wire and tape switches.

For both timing systems, there is a certain level of assembly required (wires and switches).
==========================================

I've lead a few people through the process of building their own Chronocone system from a USB gamepad device attached to tape switches. The good news is that this is inexpensive. Other good news is that the wire and tape switches can be used with any other system (Trakmate, etc). The bad news is that it takes some effort and trial-and-error.

I think the wireless MY-CHRON (spelling?) systems are the only "complete" systems that you can buy and use the day they arrive at your home. Sort of expensive, limited in range, and I don't think they come standard with an interface to a computer for tabulating results.

Every other system is going to take some wiring, soldering, splicing, cussing, hacking, and eventual success.

-- Pat

jeff bonny

Re: Timing System for Vancouver BC

Post by jeff bonny » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:21 pm

Pat Chewning wrote:The Chronocone timer is better than the Trakmate for certain things.
The Trakmate timer is better than the Chronocone for certain things.
Thanks Pat.
Looks like I'll have the opportunity soon to check out a Trakmate in person and that'll probably go a long way to educating me. As big as ski racing is I'm kinda surprised there isn't anything out there less expensive coming from that market than there seems to be...

-jeff

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Trakmate or Chronocone

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:58 pm

I only have experience of Trakmate (of the above two) and I can testify that it is a very convenient and reliable system. If you need a timer for practice there's currently not much competition out there.

I have posted elsewhere the fact that I no longer trust software timers and I'm repeating it here. I wish we could have some independent testing done to prove me right or wrong. Anyone?

For event to run smoother and with more information to the speaker I'm currently developing a new timer that will be hardware based, but commanded by a PC. The real advantage being that the results are automatically read into the PC software so that instantaneous results can be obtained. Should be ready in time for next years race season.

/Jani

jeff bonny

Re: Trakmate or Chronocone

Post by jeff bonny » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:31 am

Jani Soderhall wrote:I only have experience of Trakmate (of the above two) and I can testify that it is a very convenient and reliable system. If you need a timer for practice there's currently not much competition out there.

I have posted elsewhere the fact that I no longer trust software timers and I'm repeating it here. I wish we could have some independent testing done to prove me right or wrong. Anyone?

For event to run smoother and with more information to the speaker I'm currently developing a new timer that will be hardware based, but commanded by a PC. The real advantage being that the results are automatically read into the PC software so that instantaneous results can be obtained. Should be ready in time for next years race season.

/Jani
When I look at how poorly a PC keeps time on it's own clock I don't doubt that software based timers are not as accurate as they need to be. Using the computer to keep track of the accumulated statistical info makes a lot of sense though...that's what they do well. Thanks for your reply, the Trackmate is what I'm leaning very hard towards to get a local race/training scene going with.