Email From TrakMate... Brain-Dump of ideas/questions

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Mr Surly
Mr. Surly
Mr. Surly

Email From TrakMate... Brain-Dump of ideas/questions

Post by Mr Surly » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:11 pm

Just sharing a quick email with Daniel at Trak Mate.
I have put my own comments at the bottom of this post.

My email to Trak Mate:

Code: Select all

------------------------------------------------------------------
I just read this post from Slalomskateboarder dot com:
http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3179

I am  wondering about the serial connection.  What is it's purpose other than
a com port for a PC?  I am interested in helping with code for this timer to interface
with a PC/Handheld, etc.  What is the chip being used in the timer?  Is this an Open
Source project?

Also, I am interested in looking into the possibility of incorporating wireless
into these systems. 

Thanks for any info.
-Carl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply from Trakmate:

Code: Select all

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

Thank you for your interest in TrakMate products. 
TrakMate has been really busy lately.  

About the sports timer…. We will be transmitting data out the serial port.  The interface protocol will be documented so anyone wishing to interface it to a PC program is welcome, and I will support them in their efforts.   IT will also be possible to interface external lights to it.     We are already deep into its design stage, we will be using DB9 connectors and dropping the RJ6 jacks you guys love.   TrakMate infrared beams  will be compatible with the timer.  Our new 110volt ac Drag Tree will also plug right into it.  You want win lights no problem. 

Is this an Open Source project?  The code in the chip won’t be open source but because it will have built in commands a PC connected to it will  be able to do anything. 

Wireless possibilities?  Did you have any off the shelf solutions in mind?  I can look into it if there enough interest. 

Feel free to quote my comments on the forum,

Regards
Daniel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brain Dump for anyone here:

I've been looking at these timers recently, and finally got up close and personal with one
at a recent Hobby Park session.

Anyway, I wanted to open the topic here [again] about the possibility of direct PC/Laptop connections. I'd like to know:
> Who has made an attempt? Successful or not?
> Is there anyone here that can give me the chip type/model that the TrakMate uses? I can order one for myself and start breadboarding it. I want to see the code it uses.

My ideas: I think that a wireless system is possible with the Trak Mate, with the use of 802.11bg type of signals. Or 900mhz signals for better coverage.
One of many issues, is that you need a seperate box at the finish line, that is powered, collects the data, and sends the correct data back. Meaning that the collected data is to at least the 3rd or 4th decimal. This, in turn, would be collected by the wireless unit first, then to the timer, and a database running on the PC/Laptop. Then into the race spreadsheet.
SO: Tape switch / wireless box sends signal / receiver collect-sends signal to timer / timer connection to PC updates Database.
Remember, the box at the bottom of the hill only needs to send a signal that the tape has been pressed, same as always. It doesnt have to send "15.987 seconds", the timer will convert that itself.

The messy part here [to me anyway] is the hardware hack itself. I can build most things when it comes to wireless systems, PC's, and phone boxes. But I'd like some input from other geeks out there that would be into coming up with a solution. The data into the PC
doesnt seem to be a problem, depending on the code for the chip of course. A local DB, and possibly a local Web Server would do the trick after that, which can all be done with Open Source tools.

Also, I do not wish to create a new timer, meaning that I am not trying to replace a TrakMate unit. After seeing this timer up close, it was apparent that there were viable "hacks" to make it better, and create data collection tools on the cheap.

Thanks fo reading my brain-dump.
.:PTBDHB:.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:18 am

Connection to a laptop will be in a new model, not yet on the market. When that's available the Trakmate will have everything I need. Then I can always invent a few new good to have things, but all that's absolutely needed is in there.

I'm personally not in need of wireless connections, but it would be interesting if they could cover up to a few kilometers in which case the timer could also be used for downhill races.

PS. Update on the timer we're working on: Hardware is done and working, but the software interface is not finished. My engineer spent too much time getting this far so I've temporarily halted the project. If the Trakmate lives up to promises we may never need "our" timer.

/Jani

Mr Surly
Mr. Surly
Mr. Surly

Post by Mr Surly » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:06 pm

Jani Soderhall wrote:Connection to a laptop will be in a new model, not yet on the market. When that's available the Trakmate will have everything I need. Then I can always invent a few new good to have things, but all that's absolutely needed is in there.

I'm personally not in need of wireless connections, but it would be interesting if they could cover up to a few kilometers in which case the timer could also be used for downhill races.

PS. Update on the timer we're working on: Hardware is done and working, but the software interface is not finished. My engineer spent too much time getting this far so I've temporarily halted the project. If the Trakmate lives up to promises we may never need "our" timer.

/Jani
Thanks Jani, for making sense of my post. Yes, the only real goal to wireless system is covering longer distance without cables. I will probably order the new model when it comes out, and then build some modifications that will [hopefully] work.

Any idea what the front end will be on the computer...or what it was coded in?
.:PTBDHB:.

jeff bonny

Post by jeff bonny » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:42 am

I rode the CBR250 out to Trak Mate today in a torrential downpour and ordered a system that I should see in two or three weeks. I'm curious to see what you come up with to make it wireless. We talked about that and I have mixed feelings about it...convenience vs. added cost and more important questionable reliability. I'm kinda inclined to stay with wire (especially for an event) even if the length required in-line signal amplification.

jeff
vancouver.bc.ca