What's New For Trakmate in 2003

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

What's New For Trakmate in 2003

Post by William Tway » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:26 pm

First off, thanks to all who supported Trakmate in 2002. I built and sold nearly 20 systems and believe everyone is satisfied with the products and has enjoyed the results. No question that training with a timing system is more fun and will push your limits and make you a faster racer. 2003 promises to be very exciting for Trakmate Skateboard Timing Systems. We are currently working on version 3.0 which will be driven by a Laptop. We are also working on a automatic bracketing program that will help to speed up manual calculations and get the race started faster after qualifying. We are also working on a way to prevent FALSE STARTS. One idea we may try is using 2 tape-switches and a hand held push-button. The starter will begin the race..."Racers Ready...set...go" and push his/hers button on "go" and if a racer crosses the tape before "go" you will get a "DQ" displayed for that particular lane. However this still allows for human error so we are considering a start system similar to FCR's where you will hear a series of beeps and if you "go" or cross the tape before the final beep, you are DQ'd.
Another option we are considering is a large display that is visible to all the races with their stats as soon as the cross the finish line. The drawback here is, we haven't been able to find an inexpensive way to accomplish this.
Anyways, any feedback/ideas would be greatly appreciated so we can continue to build affordable systems that everybody is happy with in 2003.

Your timing guru,

Tway

Brian Parsons

Post by Brian Parsons » Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:50 pm

Tway, I have been very pleased with my Track Mate system. The DC area racers are very anxious to see the new enhancements. Let me know whenever they are available or if you need some prototypes testing. I am especially interested in the false start capabilities and the electronic tone start.

We have tried using an on hill laptop in DC however we always seem to kill a few car batteries before we get through the race.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:47 pm

BP, Thanks for the feedback. This is the kind of info we are looking for. How old is the laptop you guys are running? Does it really kill 2 car batteries throughout the day? I know new laptops far outlasts the older ones but we want to run our new system on older type laptops that run Windows 95+. This will greatly reduce our costs and for all the slalom racers that already have lap-tops, all they will need is software, tapeswitches and wire. It will be an easy "do it yourself" type kit. Maybe we need to consider a different power source. A low/deep cell marine type battery or something.? I will research this after the holidays.
I believe an audio "false" start program will be fairly easy to implement but the question is do we build it to work with a laptop system or as an upgrade from version 2.0?
Thanks again for yoru comments. I look forward to hearing more ideas.

Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier
Claude Regnier

Post by Claude Regnier » Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:43 pm

Great work Tway. I'm not sure what the cost difference would be or what each (work time)would cost but for the 2o or so sold units an upgrade would likely be best for them.

A newer system 3 would also be a great follow up. Then entire idea is certainally worth the work and I hope Grass can grow and make it all worthwhile for you.

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:34 pm

Tway, Many slalomers don't use Windows. I know about half the riders in the DC area are Mac users. I (as well as LBK) would most like to see a timing system be integrated with an earlier Palm operating system. Even if there were a mac version of the software, a Palm device would be easiest in all aspects, be it battery, ruggedness, compatibility, size, or cost.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:45 pm

I also am for using a handheld system...and preferably one that is an evolutionary dead end like the Newton 2100. Forget the original Newton- didn't work for crap and crashed.

My reasons are....
1. it aint gonna change
2. They aren't worth anything (cheap and not worth stealing)
3. They are powerful enough to be configured as a webserver.
4. Long battery life
5. They have audio in and audio out capabilities for starting as well as recording capability so A racer could speak his name and the Newton could announce who was on course.
6. There has already been a timing sytem written for the newton as well as a large display.
7. The Newton can also power a external display.
8. They will only get cheaper on EBAY.
9. They can drive a printer to give printed results and can also email and fax.

Other good candidates might be the IPAQ.

I believe whatever unit we chose the unit has to have audio in and audio out as well as the ability to run a large external display to be useful for racing and should be able to be configured as a web server.

Laptops are vunerable to Rain, dust, are fragile, consume lots of power, crash, and are a theft item in urban areas.

They do make some "toughbooks" but they are really really really expensive and slow for the money as well as very heavy.

As for battery power. The best battery system is to run everything off of a single battery or bank of batteries with another battery with quick disconnect for back up.

The best battery for use is the Optima Yellow top deep cycle Marine battery
1. It is waterproof
2. It is sealed- no acids to spill
3. It does not give off flammable vapors
4. It offers over 750 cold cranking amps so it can power a lot of things. It has a lot of reserve capacity as well
5. Due to its low internal resistance it is extremely quick to recharge and since it is a deep cycle battery you can really discharge it very deeply and still have the battery hold a full charge after recharging.
6. It will replace your car battery and make it much less likely that you will even not be able to start your car. It is far better than your OEM battery.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:20 am

Tway, I have to agree w/ John. Your new timing system should definatly incorperate the Newton system. I saw john look up some phone numbers on his and it was very slick to say the least. Laptops are far too large and cumbersome and drain lots of megs. can you do one that runs off a cell phone? TK

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Wed Dec 25, 2002 6:12 am

Tway,
This news bodes well for me. As you know, I`ve been a stickler on the false start option and haven`t commited to a purchase because of so. As to the starting mechanism, I`d like to see a xmas tree option with red/green lights halfway down the course. That way, if lane A DQ`d, both racers would see this visually and rider B can cruise to his safe victory and rider A can pull off course and reserve precious energy. Also, if both riders DQ, they can both pull off course and cones won`t have to be reset un-necessary.

Tone start may be cool but if GBJ is counting the beeps, someone might get distracted...heh heh !!!

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:53 pm

We used a New Tracmate system this past weekend.

I am happy to say that every cable was labeled. very easy to set up.

Didn't miss a single time!

A sticker with directions for the definitions of the two red buttons would be helpful and for those that lose instruction books a little thread with a PDF would be most helpful.

Is there a larger display model planned for the future?

BTW please feel free to contact Alex Scott at protogenic@aol.com as he has built 7 foot tall digits which could be used for your unit.....notably they use commonly found inexpensive flourscent bulbs and parts- available at any Home Depot.

Rick Stanziale
Red Clay Racing
Red Clay Racing

Post by Rick Stanziale » Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:10 pm

7 <b>foot</b> digits or 7 <b>inch</b>??!!??

I Photoshop'ed a rough .jpg diagram if anyone out there is interested.

The Trakmate is outstanding in terms of price, function, ease of use, and availability.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:16 am

7 foot....huge.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:23 am

Tway, loved the info mercial. Trac mate is a great company! Do they ever loan out demo systems to grass roots races as a way to show off the product AND help slalom grow? Mabey even a lease program would be good. Keep up the good work! TK

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:03 pm

For those who are inclined to build a complete system to work with my timers, this is what you will need.

Items needed to build Tway’s timing system

1) Tapeswitches (www.tapeswitch.com) Part # 101B or 131A
2) 1000‘spool of flexible phone wire + Rewind cord spool for easy set-up and take down.
3) RJ6 connector crimping tool and jacks (used for US phone headsets)
4) RJ11 connector crimping tool and jacks (used US for phone jacks)
5) Outlet plug & box (used to connect tapeswitches to system) *Any sort of connector can be used here.
6) Pushbutton Switch *can be used in duel racing
7) Four-Wire In-Line Coupler
:cool: 4 12-15’ extension cords
9) The Timer

**The system will work with just 2 tapeswitches which can be used to start/stop a single lane GS course or a simple push-button can start both clocks in the timing unit and can be stopped at the finish line with 2 tapeswitches.

**Some people prefer to use 2 tapes to start the clock and 2 for the finish, which prevents false starts.

**The most difficult item to source is the RJ6 Crimping tool. Pretty much everything can be found a Home Depot except the flexible (individually stranded 4 wire) phone wire. This can be located at Greybar or most electrical supply outlets. DON’T BUY STANDARD SINGLE STRADED 4 WIRE. THOUGH IT IS CHEAP, IT WILL BREAK.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:11 pm

I think it is important that all the timers be wired EXACTLY the same with the same compatible connectors- (or at least have some adapters-less desireable). that way if a part fails or is intermittent- you could use a part from another available timer.

Michael Dong

Post by Michael Dong » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:43 am

We are currently using the 131a tapeswitches. I have noticed that they do not work well when the temperature is lower than around 45deg. This is especially noticeable when the tapeswitch is right at the push start line and the board does not have full body weight on it. I weigh about 180lbs so I'm sure a lighter rider or kids would have an even harder time actuating it.

The 101b switches need less than 1/3 of the actuation force of a 131a. We are going to try using the 101b for the start line and the 131a at the finish line. They have the exact same physical dimensions.

131a nominal actuation force = 40oz (11N)
101a nominal actuation force = 12oz (3N)

Tway, do the new timers resolve to 0.0001? Ours only goes to 0.001

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:48 am

way, what if i wanted to buy the timer and do all the wireing myself/. is this easy to do, do you offer over the phone step by step help or a handout sheet with directions of some sort. i am not that bright when it comes to wires and things . can an average to below average intelligence guy wire a system up/ thanks for your swift response. terry

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:18 pm

erry, If you have just a <i>basic</i> knowledge of wiring, this job is best left to the Trakmate professionals.

Terry Kirby
Team RoeRacing
Team RoeRacing

Post by Terry Kirby » Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:17 pm

Thanks way, I had thought you might have gone on a cruise or something . TK

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Post by John Gilmour » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:17 pm

Could someone who rides public transportation please read the model number off of the tape switches used on buses and trains- perhaps we could recycle these when the buses/trains are junked.

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:21 pm

In a effort to make a more affordable but yet professional timing system, we are now testing a wireless switch which if fully reliable, will replace the tapeswiches and drastically reduce the cost. (No graveling through junk yards full of old buses).

Thanks for your patients during our R&D phase of our newest version (3.0).

Demo should be ready in time for the Gathering.

Tway

Gary Holl
Roe-Racing
Roe-Racing

Post by Gary Holl » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:56 am

Tway, will it be compatible with older versions or only with the newer one?

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:16 pm

Gary,

If these new switches prove worthy, they will be available for both new and old systems.

Tway

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:16 pm

Tway,

I'm looking into buying a new system to replace my 20 year old system. Just got some catalogs from Tag Heuer Timing systems and of course they do everything we want, but at a rather high price.

Hope you're progressing well with your stuff so that I can buy one equipment in the month to come.

/Jani

Gary Holl
Roe-Racing
Roe-Racing

Post by Gary Holl » Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:09 am

Tway, please keep us informed on the wireless switches.

BTW- the Trakmate timer is the best!

thanks,
Gary

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

Post by William Tway » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:13 pm

Finally the new Trakmate systems are in. I got the first one the day before DaFarm, pulled it out of the box and it didn't miss a time all day. As all the farmers at our 3.0 race already know, version 4.0 has an audio beep start (similar to FCR) and if a racer crosses the tapeswitch before the fourth beep, the timer (scorer) will see a -(neg) reaction time. (THE CLOCK STARTS ON THE 4TH BEEP). It can easily be wired to a boom-box or any audio output. We also had a contest at dafarm for best reaction time and TK won by putting down a .008. Unbelievable! The new timer has 2 modes and can also work the same as version 3.0. If you want to wire your own unit, the cost is <b>$220.00</b> shipped. If you are interested in a completely wired system, email me for pricing. A complete system ships in 3-5 weeks. (Possibly sooner). Thanks again for your patience...the wait is over.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:58 pm

Tway,

Is there a comprehensive description of your system somewhere? I have started to look into the different options we have for next years races and would like to know all the features of your system (and pricing, if updated).

Is it for the timer only, no timing strips, cabling or other accessories? If that is correct, where do we get the best timing strips etc? I have some old, but I'm always afraid that they're not the best I could have.

Thank's.

Jani

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

For Jani

Post by William Tway » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:02 am

Hi Jani, I'll put together a run down of all the features of the newest Trakmate system for ya in a few days. Briefly, they can be purchased and assembled by you or I can build the entire system and ship it. Thanks again for your interest. Look for an email shortly.

No Time To Hate

Tway

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:52 pm

Tway, We had to cut our phone conversion short a few weeks ago, so...

Can I get a "4 beep" system by April? I need time to get use to using it.

What parts from the system I have now can be reused? Tapes, box, cables?

Should I try to sell my entire system and replace with new? Anybody interested?

Let's Twalk Tway!

Brady Mitchell

Post by Brady Mitchell » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:04 am

Ricky,

I might be interested. You can call me or email your ph #

I`m @ 954-558-7477 or poolratz@bellsouth.net
Got ants?

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:37 pm

Thanks for getting back to me Tway.

Brady,
After speaking with Tway, I will be selling my Trakmate System box only as my tapes and cables can be reused on the new system to keep my cost down.
The box is I believe ver. 2.0, approx. 3" X 6" X 2" deep, brown, with two telephone female connectors mounted on the side, one for start button or tape, one for finish tape(s). It has a window for the duel time read-outs and two reset buttons. It's all buttoned up in this neat box. Works flawlessly.
Whoever purchases this box will need to get with Tway on building some tapes and cables.

I'm asking $125 or best offer for the box only.

Give me a shout if you like at 601-540-7789 (cell)

William Tway
Timing Guru
Timing Guru

going...going....gone

Post by William Tway » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:38 pm

Ricky, I believe I have sold your timer for you. You will be contacted by a third party shortly.

Have a nice weekend

Ricky Byrd
ByrdDog
ByrdDog

Post by Ricky Byrd » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:32 am

Thanks Tway!
I think...
I'm planning a winter series starting in a week or two and I may need mine til the new one is done but...maybe I can do without it.