Marathon (running) Timers

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

GARY GLASSER

Marathon (running) Timers

Post by GARY GLASSER » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:36 am

Has anyone bothered to investigate running timers such as the ones they use in marathons.

Each runner has a "chip" or RFID. Once the runner crosses the line the runner's info is wired (hard or wired) to a receiver. The info is instant. Numbers are used not names because of space or lack there of on the chip.

The interesting part of the system that the software company that runs this timing system has a web site that you can track an individual runner on that site. Anywhere/anytime during the race. Even from the comfort of your toilet!

You can keep the chip and use it at more than one race.

I have not seen the software to see if you can make cones hit adjustments.

The runners have to run over a "pad" for the chip to be activated/scored/timed. (This pad can be held vertical and you just need to come within 3 feet of it. We can devise our own)

Unknown if there are chips that can capture 3 decimal places. (.001)

Unknown if this timing system has been used in "drag racing" type timing. (including reaction time and or leave early)

Just an idea.
I am the slowest COSS slalom racer..Lucky for you!

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:38 pm

I would suspect precision is not their strongest side. How does it know when you cross the finish line - the one we "see"?

It sounds cool though. And it would allow skaters to skate in any order - real jam slalom - and still have order in the system.

I assume the cost is pretty high too for the actual system. The chips are probably pretty low cost. We're using similar RFID for a swimming pool acces system my company designed. To gain access to the facilities you don't even have to take your card out of your wallet you just walk up to the gate and it opens up. An added cool feature invented by the customer is that we show a photo of the member registered with that RFID card so that both the person behind the counter can have a quick look at it and also the other people in line. I guess you don't want to try to sneak in with your sisters card, or grandpa's. It's not a "secure" solution, but kind of fun!

/Jani