"photo finish" indicator system- home built.

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

"photo finish" indicator system- home built.

Post by Michael Stride » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:33 pm

One of the most fun races we had this year was a dual race, with no timing system. First cros the line won, maximum 3 cones, with NO cone penalty. Hit more than 3 and your out......

This led to a lot of close finishes, so I have come up with a system that 'locks out' the winning lane and indicates it with a flashing light that comes on for 3 seconds. I used a commercial quiz buzzer system for reliablity, and wired in the tape switchs to where the finger button is, and then put a circuit replacing the LED on the quiz buzzer to power a relay that switches a 12v rotating lamp that is used by breakdown vehicles...again readily available. the circuit uses a 4N25 opto isolator, a 2N2222A transistor and a 4.7k resistor, all readily available. (Thanks Crunch for the advice)...

This system can also be used in regular racing just to indicate who crossed the line first as a visual aid for racers at the top of the track.

In the photo you can see that where tape swicthes can be used Ive made some pressure switches to Pat Chewings design, as he sent me some switches and tube for me to play with - thanks!

Quiz buzzer from ebay item number: 160173822208