Timing Guys forums are a great resource

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Fred Patton

Timing Guys forums are a great resource

Post by Fred Patton » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:07 am

There is an international timing and tech support forum that may be of interest to your members.

www.timingguys.com

The situations and issues that are concerning your organization are also concerns of other groups such as skiers, cyclists, etc.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:53 am

I have browsed that forum in the past...(its your companies isnt it?)

It seems a good resource for high end 'pro' systems. I found it interesting and useful.

Having tried to get quotes for equipment from UK based companies sourcing Alge, and Tag I can say the prices were definately aimed at publically finacnced clubs not spending their own money....but my taxes! And at a recent downhill event in the UK the organiser found a total unwillingness of companies to even qute on providing 2 day timing services as it involved 'skateboards'!!!!! (eventually he found one pro company, who were superb, with wireless timing, and a photofinish camera) . Ski clubs who race in the UK are unwilling to lend out equpment, being very possesive and inward looking.

One problem with purchasing timing equipment is cost. When a Trackmate system does the timing aspect for a few hundred dollars, for dual lane, the complexity of the ski racing systems is overkill. A Brower training system looks like a reasonable system for a reasonable price, but still a LOT of money.

I love the idea of using swing Alge style start gates, but at $400 dollars each we cant justify it, when a tape or beam will suffice. Even the neat Alge 'beep' start device seems overkill when a device can be constructed out of components.

What is particularly gauling is dealing with UK suppliers who charge more than US companies for European sourced equipment! (and know nothing about the systems they sell, just being re-sellers).

Perhaps if a US seller could come up with a quote for a Dual lane timing system including beep start, and 4 optical gates, or two optical 2 swing, interface to a PC and easy interface to a number of displays (with the price of LCD screens coming down that might be a possibility). Wired for a 200m distance or so, with easy extension for GS.