Another practice timer/speed gun question

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

GARY OHM

Another practice timer/speed gun question

Post by GARY OHM » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi everyone,
I am looking for an inexpensive practice timing system. I do not want a starting strip or have to run wires or have a big display. I do not need any computer connections or software. To record the times I will use my notebood. By that I mean three ring or spiral bound. Right now I am using a handheld stopwatch. This is for practice only and 0.01 second accuracy is all I need.
I am looking for an infrared system that has for example: a starting "line" with an IR source and detector and the same on the finish line. It seems like I have seen these that have a hand held receiver to give you the time. I just cannot remember where I saw them.

Also I would like recommendations on a cheap radar gun. It looks like Bushnell makes about the cheapest. Has anyone got experience with these?

Thanks for the help.

GARY OHM

inexpensivve timing system

Post by GARY OHM » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:51 am

BUMP:
Does anyone make an inexpensive timing system? Basically just something better then a stop watch.

Thanks in advance

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:55 am

Gary,

The jump from stop watch to basic timing system is a BUNCH.

The cheapest thing I can think of is the Equine System with two sets of IR eyes, some cable and the plug in timer. No differential, no two-lane timer, just a time down the course.

I believe (but might be wrong,) that's $200.

GARY OHM

Post by GARY OHM » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:09 am

Thanks Wesley,
That is the type of thing I am looking for. Just a single lane timer. I cannot believe how expensive it is though. YIKES!!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:22 am

Well, you know what they say:

Time is money.

GARY OHM

Post by GARY OHM » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:22 am

Thanks for that one. I needed that.... :D

Gary Saenz

Post by Gary Saenz » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:49 pm

I've got one of the Equine timing systems and have it set up wireless. Really nice system to practice with. Highly recommend it. Plan on running Cyberslalom with it this summer.

GARY OHM

Post by GARY OHM » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:06 pm

Hey Gary,
At the risk of coming across as a complete dolt, would you be able to provide me a link to what you have? I think I found online what I had seen before, but it was at 0300 this morning on my break at work and for the life of me I cannot remember how I found it. I do remmeber it cost about a grand. Still too much... Compared to that, the $200 Wesley mentioned is steal...

Thanks again,
Gary

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:17 am

GARY OHM wrote:Hey Gary,
Hi everyone,
I am looking for an inexpensive practice timing system. I do not want a starting strip or have to run wires or have a big display. I do not need any computer connections or software. To record the times I will use my notebood. By that I mean three ring or spiral bound. Right now I am using a handheld stopwatch. This is for practice only and 0.01 second accuracy is all I need.
I am looking for an infrared system that has for example: a starting "line" with an IR source and detector and the same on the finish line. It seems like I have seen these that have a hand held receiver to give you the time. I just cannot remember where I saw them.

(snip)
Compared to that, the $200 Wesley mentioned is steal...
Gary, I suggest you consider a Mychron timing system. It sounds perfect for what you are describing: a simple, easy-to-use practice timer. Check this thread posted several years ago by Curt Kimbel: http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB ... .php?t=753

Several of the COSS riders use a Mychron regularly, and I bought my own used one on eBay recently for less than $200 for two beacons and a receiver, which is all you need. No huge spool of cable to unwind--just set your beacons and skate.

You just use Velcro to attach the timer (receiver) to your board. It keeps track of all your times; you can scroll through them at the touch of a button immediately after finishing a run--instant feedback. So you don't even need a pen and notebook. If you want to drop another hundred or so (max), you can get a brand-new one that even allows downloading the times to your computer and some sort of software to analyze them.

Too many Garys in this thread! :-)

Gary Saenz

Post by Gary Saenz » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:26 am

Jonathan Harms wrote:Gary, despite my praise for the Mychron, I am also still curious what is needed to run one of the equine systems wirelessly. What else did you have to buy, and how much did it cost?
Had Rusty install some external antennas on the eyes. Don't remember how much they cost but they work well. I'll get some pics. Also, I checked the Equine website and it's down so I don't know if they went under or are redesigning the website.

GARY OHM

Post by GARY OHM » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:02 am

Thanks Fellas. This is awesome help. I'll let you know what I decide to do when I finally do it.

I really appreciate it.

Gary

Gary Saenz

Post by Gary Saenz » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:46 am

Here's what the external antenna looks like.

Jonathan Harms
JBH - ISSA Treasurer
JBH - ISSA Treasurer

Post by Jonathan Harms » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:58 am

Cool. Thanks, Gary. If you ever do remember how much it cost, post it up if you can.