MyChron Light TG

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Mark Roberts

MyChron Light TG

Post by Mark Roberts » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:28 am

Anyone using these for training?

I sent an email to AIM Tech support..............

" Hi, I am considering purchasing the above unit for Slalom (Skateboarding) racing. The courses we run are straight. If I use a lap beacon at each end of the course and possibly a split beacon, would this setup work?"

Answer back.............

"Yes, and no. The lap beacons shoot out a signal that is abot a 17° vector, or ~3:1 pattern. That is to say that the beacon signal is about 1m in size when the beacon is 3m away. This makes it hard to define a clear start and finish line. In considering using a split beacon, the minimum lap or split time is ~3 seconds."

Now i'm not too bothered about the comment on beam divergence (yes i'm a geek!) as I plan to have the lap beacon < 1M from first cone.
What does worry me, is that I wanted to use the split beacon to improve my times over the first 5 cones. Even at my leisurely pace, 3 seconds minimum is too high.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Mark

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:07 pm

The 3 seconds thing is similar to my RUREADY. system. Its to allow a longer/slower vehicle pass through the beam in the first beam without re-triggering.

One way would be to intentionally break the first beam on an earler beep, knowing it wont re-trigger for 3 seconds. The after 2 seconds depart on a cadence start. Then your second beam will trigger. Then take away the 2 seconds?

Or wire two gates to a stopwatch.