Magnetic Scoreboard

Timing System

Moderator: Jani Soderhall

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Magnetic Scoreboard

Post by Michael Stride » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:30 pm

I made this for the cancelled Cadwell single lane GS race.

Its made from galvanised steel sheet, mounted to wood, double sided for multiple races.

The magnetic strips are cut from a roll of vehicle signage, and is wipe on/offable.

Its an ideal place for sponsors logos and for racers to see whats happenning.

The idea was copied from the Top Gera fastest lap sign.

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Yeah. "Jay Kay" (whoever that is) just knocked Simon off the top.

Good idea Mike.

Now, here's a question: was this updated through the race as a means of keeping skaters away from the timing table? Did you have a couple of dedicated volunteers writing and posting after each run?

I'm just wondering if this was your solution to what's been done here with remote computers accessing the spreadsheets so racers can see where they stand without standing over the timer's shoulder while trying to work?

Louis Selby

Post by Louis Selby » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:19 pm

I'm glad to see that I not only beat sam, but also ramon! I mean, no suprise there really.... :-P
Louis Selby

Pavel www.pavel-skates.com

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Post by Michael Stride » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:21 pm

The race was cancelled. It was due to take place tomorrow.

The idea was to just write the time down and find it up.

When a faster time is posted its put in the correct position.

Ideally it stops people looking over shoulders on the timing table, but to be honest we wernt going to use a computer at the race, there was no need, save for posting the results on the net.

For racers to clearly see the results as they happen makes races more fun. We found that out when using the large digital timer screens as well. It also is an excellent place for sponsors logos as the board will be photographed and is a focal point.

There is also the aspect that promoting and demoting times on a scoreboard looks good too. A digital screen is often too small and detaches from the real race.
PS thanks for fixing the pic hosting!