Moderator: Pat Chewning

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:34 am

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:13 am

Nice drawing!

I wish it would have been done the other way around though, i.e. start at the bottom and the finish at the top. That way it's much easier running through it in your head on screen.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:19 pm

Hans,
I agree bottom to top. The other image I posted here under "Gates" was done like this one and others suggested the same.

But this was done by Wesley Tucker. He used a program called QUARKXPRESS. This is what he told me:
"As far as how I did it, I kind of cheated:-) I did the whole thing in
QUARKXPRESS. I made a "page" that was 8 inches wide and 40 inches long. Then
I drew my road, then the course diagram. In QUARK you have the option to SAVE
AS to a .eps file. So once I had my .eps file, I then took it to PHOTOSHOP,
converted it to .jpg and reduced the resolution and file size to something
manageable for the web."

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:47 pm

Y'all mean like this?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:33 pm

When you consider the circumstances under which the link to my diargram got posted on NCDSA earlier this week, I have to say I'm really humbled at the way y'all seem to appreciate my course presentation. Although I'm savvy enough to know y'all aren't necessarily giving grand ovations for the course itself, it's still neat to know y'all like the artwork. (I don't if you read NCDSA Hans, but this link was reposted last week in an attempt to humiliate me in some way. Seems someone who doesn't even slalom race decided he didn't like my course. Go figure.)

While we're on the subject of my genius and incredible artistry, ( :razz: ) I also wanted to pass this along. You might wonder how I got a 40" long piece of artwork out of the computer in order to have a working diagram to actually layout the course on race day. Well, I didn't. I simply took the graphic, pasted it four times on an 11 x 8.5" page (I think that's an A4 in Europe, Hans . . . or is it A2?) and made a little four-fold brochure:

Once I had this, all I had to to was read it top to bottom, left to right and walk down the street setting cones. Pretty easy. I know there's a little overlap from column to column in this particular piece of art, but I still think it conveys the idea of what was able to do.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:53 am

Great! Having the course from bottom and up really makes a big difference. Now you can really ride it on screen.

The course itself looks/feels good enough for me but then again i'm not a course setter pro. Have to ask Gilmour about that. The only thing I don't like (I just had to find something to complain about) is to go into the course from the left. Normally that's always done from the right, or?

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:05 am

Hans.

Yeah. It was easily fixed, though, by adding one cone to start. No big deal.

Never forget the golden rule: EVERYBODY needs a good copyeditor (even if it's designing courses!)

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:10 am

Wesley,

I think the diagram is GREAT! I was looking for stuff like this when I first started slaloming not to long ago and that is why I posted it.

As far as the quality of the course, I think it would be good for a race. The steeper the hill the more difficult it would get.

It is also great you took the effor to let everyone know exactly what to expect.

Glenn