using Bike Paths for slalom practice and possibly races

Spectator and Vendor Area
Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:33 am

Where I live South Orange County, CA, it is mostly hilly. It is also somewhat new development(last 20-30 years or so for the most part).

And bike paths have been weaved along creek beds and in valleys and open spaces between houses. Some parts have good pitch too.

Most of the paths are asphalt, some areas are concrete.

One of my main reasons for my other post asking about the cost of paving and asphalt was because <b>if</b> a few of the good pitched areas along a couple of these paths were repaved(they are getting old and need paving anyway :wink: ) and made wider so that bikers could ride past a set course I think it would be a great place for slalom skateboarding.

Anyone have thoughts about slalomers sharing bike paths with everyone else? Weekdays would be not a problem at all from the practially zero traffic that I've seen over the years. Weekends could be harder unless the paths were widened a bit. There is plenty of room for widening.

It would just take convincing the city to do it. We could just send them John's post about the history of the road and how it relates to slalom :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: glenn on 2002-12-11 10:32 ]</font>

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:50 am

I use a bike pass for slalom regularly. What I noticed is that it is important to set the cones in a way that the bikers see them well ahead of their line. My practice hill is quite "hilly" and I set a few cones on top of the hill where I don´t even need them so a biker can see that there is something in his way. I had no complaints so far and I usually wait with my runs until the bikers have passed. What frequently happens is that when they see the cones they find the child in themselves and ride their bikes around the cones and have some fun....when they knock one over I just smile at them and put the cones back up instead of yelling at them. This has worked quite well up to now.

Glenn S

Post by Glenn S » Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:53 pm

Chris,
What you say about <b>not</b> getting mad about cones being knocked over by the bikers is right on.
Glenn