Oust bought out by Tensor?

Oust Bearings

Moderator: Richy Carrasco

W. Kilner

Oust bought out by Tensor?

Post by W. Kilner » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:43 am

Latest Transworld has a Tensor Bearings ad and they are "powered by Oust". So did Dwindle buy Oust or did they just get Oust to manufacture Tensor bearings?

I thought Rodney Mullen only liked products made in China ;)

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:05 pm

I don't think Oust sold to Dwindle. I think they are just doing some bearings for them.
I thought Rodney Mullen only liked products made in China
Oust *are* made in China, aren't they?

The only bearings I know of that aren't made in China are Bones Swiss, Ninjas (japan), and Rockets (nmb in singapore).

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:12 pm

Rich Stephens wrote:The only bearings I know of that aren't made in China are Bones Swiss, Ninjas (japan), and Rockets (nmb in singapore).
Really, that's all?
GMN is not made in China. Neither are Fafnir, Hoover, etc, etc.

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:05 am

WesE wrote:
Rich Stephens wrote:The only bearings I know of that aren't made in China are Bones Swiss, Ninjas (japan), and Rockets (nmb in singapore).
Really, that's all?
I haven't seen any of those since the 70s. Is anyone still marketing skateboard bearings made by those manufacturers? I know there are some "designed like the GMN" bearings out there these days but I assumed those were made in China.

FWIW, speaking of the 1970s, I've got a set of NTNs from the 70s that are practically new. I've got them on my turner in some turner la costa (rear) and fiberflex (front) wheels right now because i've got all my newer, possibly faster, bearings in my pool decks at the moment.

It looks like NTN still packages bearings for skating under the name "formula extreme". They are like $65 for 16 (rollerblades, you know) and apparently made in Korea - or at least a Korean company is the one selling them online when you click the link from NTN's site.

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:00 am

I just got a private message saying that Oust are made in the USA. I also just saw a previous post by Eddy saying Carl had told him the same thing.

Sorry for posting incorrect info! Anyone know who the manufacturer is for the Oust?

I really like the NMB Rockets but I prefer to buy stuff made in the USA so I just may become an OUST convert!

Wes Eastridge
WesE
WesE

Post by Wes Eastridge » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:31 am

Rich Stephens wrote:
WesE wrote:
Really, that's all?
I haven't seen any of those since the 70s. Is anyone still marketing skateboard bearings made by those manufacturers? I know there are some "designed like the GMN" bearings out there these days but I assumed those were made in China.
GMN was marketing bearings for skateboarders in the ‘80s. As for now, I hardly even know of all the bearings that ARE marketed for skateboarders. I just know that 608s work for skateboards and it would be safe to assume that no bearing producers would stop making them.

I haven't seen anything useful written about Oust bearings. All I know is that people who get them for free say that they are the best.

Scott Ward

Post by Scott Ward » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:08 pm

Rodney Mullen has a been an Oust team rider for some time, OUST was approached by Rodney to make bearings for his company Tensor, Carl from Oust refused to make a bearing with somebody elses name on it, thus defeating the purpose of trying to sell his bearings under his name Oust, Rodney wanted the best bearing in the world, after lengthy negotiations they came to an agreement to have the bearings say Tensor Powered by Oust.

Carl was not gonna sell out his name and company, Oust are made in the US, they do not go by an ABEC scale because they far exceed the Abec rating, unlike most bearing companys that are selling Abec 7's that barely make an Abec 1 grade, There is some bearing manufacturers out there with Egg on their faces, Biltin Bearings is one that was found to be misleading the public with their so called Abec 7's that are equivolent to an Abec 1.

Who Rides OUST?

Rodney
Duane Peters
Steve Olson(Winner of Kona Bank Slalom)
Dave Hackett(Winner of the Bear Bank Slalom)
Chicken(2002 Slalom World Champ)
Benji Galloway(Vert Star Mega!)
Richy Carrasco(Guiness Book of World Record's for 360's 142)
Gary Cross(2001 Slalom World Champ)
Jesse Martinez(Dogtown Legend)
Omar Hassan(No intro necasary)
Brad Edwards(Longboard Guru)
Frank Atwater(Pool Destroyer extroidinair)

To name a few

Oh and myself, I was 3rd place overall for the 2003 FCR World Series of Slalom.
This was posted on the Bulldog web forum, explaining the deal.

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:22 pm

Some of that is obvious bullshit. Can you let us know who wrote that? I know Oust are great but I seriously doubt the reason they don't use the Abec rating is that "they far exceed" it. I hope it's because they realize that Abec rating isn't the most important thing in bearing design. But their number ratings also play off the abec rating craze: is a moc 9 supposed to be an abec 9? no way are their bearings to those tolerances. BTW, I think the Bilitins were tested to be Abec 3, not Abec 1, according to california bearing (or maybe that was the pleasure tool test results?).

Scott Ward

Post by Scott Ward » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:03 pm

That was a post by Arab on the Bulldog Website

Rich Stephens

Post by Rich Stephens » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:42 pm

Oops. Perhaps I called BS too early. I should have recognized the writing style, ha! I trust what Arab has to say about skateboarding and gear since so far what he says has always jived with my experience as well (in as far as my experience goes, which is certainly limited in slalom). I am just suspicious about anything related to abec claims. I'm still curious what bearing company makes the Oust in the USA since that is certainly something they should be praised for.

Jack Quarantillo

Post by Jack Quarantillo » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:01 am

From my limited understanding of bearings, ABEC rating alone means very little. It is but a factor in the LARGE performance equation. Add to that the variances of specific skating styles (street, vert, downhill, slalom) and you can see that the bearing makers have their work cut out for them.

Q

Seth Levy

Post by Seth Levy » Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:43 am

Rich Stephens wrote:Oops. Perhaps I called BS too early. I should have recognized the writing style, ha! I trust what Arab has to say about skateboarding and gear since so far what he says has always jived with my experience as well (in as far as my experience goes, which is certainly limited in slalom). I am just suspicious about anything related to abec claims. I'm still curious what bearing company makes the Oust in the USA since that is certainly something they should be praised for.
if im not mistaken, arab gets free bearings from oust, which may be why he likes them so much. not that i dont like oust bearings, or arab, just pointing that out. the wheels matter more than the bearings anyways, as long as you dont get a pos bearing like the ones from china.

John Gilmour
Team Roe Racing
Team Roe Racing

Oust branches out?

Post by John Gilmour » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:25 am

http://www.oustodor.com/

Whats next? China Bones china?
One good turn deserves another
john gilmour

W. Kilner

Post by W. Kilner » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:09 am

Finally got to see the ad for myself and it looks like Tensor is using the <b>Oust Moc 5 Street</b> bearing. This is the one with the non-removable metal shield with a small hole in it so you can re-lube it.

Michael Stride
Octane Sport (RIP)
Octane Sport (RIP)

Ousts and speed

Post by Michael Stride » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:55 pm

All I know is that the Ousts are the fastest bearings I've ridden. Ever. I dont get them for free. But I do sell the Moc9s in the UK. What I can say is that after a few sets went to the guys that race in the UK we were quickly selling more. They arnt cheap, but we know that in racing its sensible to have a set of prime bearings ready for use. They seem to keep their speed in corners better than anything else i've used.
My advice is to try to borow a set sometime. I have a set or tow i'm happy to lend to UK racers, as with bearing there has been a lot of hype. I'm hppier if a racer chooses whats best for them. I know that in all likelyhood the racer will just buy the bearings after trying them.

Richy Carrasco
AXE Army
AXE Army

Gilmore -- Hoover Boy

Post by Richy Carrasco » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:52 am

Hey John didn't you say that hoover was one of the best bearings in the day! -- Those things were stinky!!! Hobie had some Mean Greens that were great as well as all the other good bearings back then, Fafnir , SKS, GMN , NTN, , I have ridden all and My honest opinion is that the OUSTs are the fastest bearings I have ridden yet!

W. Kilner

Post by W. Kilner » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:53 am

Looks like Tensor is upgrading to their MOC 5 to the MOC 9 SS edition bearing. Doesn't look like the regular Oust MOC 9, but I'm going by an ad, I haven't seen them in person.

Carl is also applying his knowledge to wheels and trucks as well and working w/ Mullen and designing new Tensor Trucks and aluminum hub wheels as well, according to the ad.

They got a website up about it now as well: http://www.dwindle-experimental.com/