Slalom Skateboarding in Sweden

Moderator: Hans Koraeus

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Swedish Skateboard Association

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:24 pm

A new era in Swedish skateboarding?

A Swedish Skateboard Association is about to be created by a couple of skaters. Have a look at the article/interview with one of the founders at http://www.Tacky.se/skateboard (In Swedish only). They are now trying to get people and local skate associations to support the idea. And they have to have the support before the end of this year. This to be able to be connected and registered to the Swedish Sports Association which they only do every second year apparently.

This is something that have been talked about during the last couple of years among many skaters. Also among us Swedish slalomers. With the revival of ISSA it seems only logical that our national association was next. But I have never been really in favor for national slalom associations. I think it would be much better to include slalom into the larger skateboard family as a section in a specific skateboard association. Much more work and difficulty though. That is by the way how I see ISSA as well in the future. As a section under an International Skateboard Association. We will see where it all ends up in the end. But I think skateboard is big and special enough to have its own associations. And I have always seen myself as a skateboarder not as a slalomer or anything else.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:38 pm

Only skate associations can be members in the new Swedish Skateboard Association (SSF). This is why we have created a new association for Swedish slalomers (
4S) to speak up for our discipline towards the greater skateboard family. Since we are not so many slalomers for now we thought it was better to join forces in one single association. Hopefully there will be regional ones also when slalom grows.

Now let's see if the Swedish Sports Association will admit skateboard with its own association and as a sport of its own. In general they demand 50 associations or 3000 members but in the end they may decide not to admit you anyway.