First competition of 2006

Slalom Skateboarding in Sweden

Moderator: Hans Koraeus

Marcus Seyffarth

First competition of 2006

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:27 pm

There will be a smaller dual lane race in central stockholm on the 18:th of february. The slalom race will be held as a start of a whole day event that will include a best trick rail competition, a game of S.K.A.T.E and finally a big party with three bands playing. There will probably be a pretty big audience since the race will be held where there usually is a pretty popular market, and of course there will be some people waiting for the coming events.

I'm not too sure about the format but I think it will be kind of like the nations race in Antibes. No timing system, a surprise start and the first guy over the finish line wins and moves on up the ladder.

All are welcome though I understand that this is a very short notice. Cost is 90SEK for seniors and 60SEK for juniors. That includes the cover for the party. Prizes to the winners (I think a foam board from local skateshop SOFO longboards) and good times to the others.

Register at:
http://www.sofolongboards.com/street.htm

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:20 pm

The venue was kind of different than what I had expected. When I got there saturday morning I realized that the place was divided in two sections connected by a pretty narrow ramp that was 10-12 meters long. I decided to set a course in two sections kind of like the ones I think are used in Monaco-cone i.e cones-free pumping-cones.

We used the startramps from the european championships which gave the racers pretty good speed into the first section of cones where you had to get an advantage to get first into the narrow passage down the ramp where you could still pump but without cones. After the ramp there was a more open section of 12-14 cones and thats was it. Two hit cones was ok, but if you hit three you were out.

We did five rounds of dual racing with drawn heats. I think both the audience and the racers had a great time. The format was very easy to understand and the racing was quick. No cone count really and no waiting for times to be anounced. There was one MC at the finish and one at the start that gave the race a good wibe and everyone knew who won when it was hard to tell from the start or so.

Since the race was the first act of the day a lot of kids with street/flipboards who probably never seen slalomracing got to see this. From what I heard most of them were impressed with the speed and thoght that it looked pretty cool.

At the end we had a semifinal and a final which were all close heats.

Marcus Perlborg took first in the juniors winning a foamcore slalomboard(!!!) followed by Angie Gustavsson in second and Christoffer taking third.

In the seniors I took first (getting me a new slalomboard also), Klangster taking second, Hans Göthberg in third and Anders Berglind in fourth

I think the race was a success huge success!

Thanks a million to SOFO Longboards for putting on a great race, and the sponsors for all the gear!

Dominik Kowalski

Post by Dominik Kowalski » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:49 pm

Good vibes are always important ;)
Will be any pics be posted?
<a href="http://www.pavel-skates.com" target="_blank" class="postlink">SEX, DRUGS & BACKSIDE ROCK'N'ROLL...</a>
keep on rollin'...

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:41 am

There was a lot of people taking pictures and filming the race, so there should be some.

Though as usual when racing I didn't take a single picture :(

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:43 pm

For pictures have a look at www.tacky.se/skateboard

See the articles about "Hit the Street"