Wednesday races in Stockholm

Slalom Skateboarding in Sweden

Moderator: Hans Koraeus

Hans Koraeus
Corky - World Ranking Master Mind

Post by Hans Koraeus » Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:13 am

So now the cup is on again. 2 races so far and interesting is that Per Svensson seems to be back on track again. 2 second places so far. Also noted that Ants Neo was at the second race. Hmm. Old timers are coming back. Looks good for the Swedish slalom scene.

Jani Soderhall
ISSA President 2011-2024
ISSA President 2011-2024

Post by Jani Soderhall » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:52 pm

Per went to a few races last year, but didn't enter. He thought it was too easy. I guess that has changed now as he is entering.

I have tried to talk Per into international participation without success so far. I hope we'll see him later this year at least for the European Championships.

Next on the list is Mats Forsberg. I guess he's busy with his child who's gotta be around 1 year now and running his company. Whatever free time he has he probably spends on the golf course. Time to change that!

Going through my archives I read a few lines from the World Championships were I went with Mats and Per in 1989.

Here's an extract:

"Although it was time for the World Championships, the first one in Europe, the real feeling wasn't there. The previous weekend in Policka, Czechoslovakia, had been great, only slalomers, only for fun.

Here in Münster slalom is just a side-attraction without perfect conditions. The mood in the Swedish team isn't perfect. Per and Mats even discuss the fact that this might be their last ever contest. But the fighting spirit and mood changes when it is announced that all three of us advance into the final.

Per is taken out in the first round, but Mats beets Luca, who comes back through the loosers bracket. Luca will then meet me as I had been eliminated by Paolo Gatti. Luca is eliminated by me and Gatti and I will fight in the final which ends up with a goldmedal for Italy."

See, Luca hasn't always been on the top.

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:48 pm

Yup!

A year of practice and the Paris comp have changed the courses quite a lot. The only problem is that we started this to attract more people, so it should be easy and fun. Now since the level is rising the courses get harder to make for beginners and still we are not making them that challanging for the ones with higher demands... We are trying to solve this by having three wednesdays with more relaxed 'training' courses and then have a more challanging 'competition' the last wednesday of the month. We'll see if this works out, hopefully people can get up on their boards and ride and if they feel tempted practice a little in between and then make the 'race' course...

I'm still psyched about last wednesday and the 'stadion' timer thing that made everybody understand exactly what was going on in the racecourse. At least I think they did :smile: To bad we had our first real injury...

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:18 pm

Peter Klang beat Pär at the latest Wednesday race! Time to change board Pär. You need longer wheelbase, wider trucks and large wheels for todays courses. Not that I know what you are using but I'm sure I'm right. :smile:

Good though that others are putting pressure on the top skaters. But who will take on Marcus. He seems to be going really strong. Has he ever lost a Wednesday race?

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:21 pm

And Ants. You should do better. Let's see what your new board will do.

Marcus Seyffarth

Post by Marcus Seyffarth » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:35 pm

Ants is forgiven I think, he's gonna have back/spine surgery in october... So he should take it easy! Pär was tired last time and was passed by Klang who is on an upgoing trend. To be honest I'm a little worried - though I haven't lost a (wednesday) race yet :smile:

Per Svensson

Post by Per Svensson » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:41 pm

Hans? what do you now about the Wensdays races. I don´t need a bigger board for the courses we been riding so far at the wensdayraces. Like i said, i´am not riding any faster then they do in their courses. but no one can do the courses i´am used to skate in the old days. Can you?

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:04 am

[what do you now about the Wednesday races.]
I only know what I read at the 161 site plus comments from those who are attending. The rest are "logical" conclusions made by the "skatus experiencus" part of my brain.

[I don´t need a bigger board for the courses we been riding so far at the wensdayraces. Like i said, i´am not riding any faster then they do in their courses.]
Right, you are not riding any faster than they do in their courses. That's what I mean. You probably could though if you used another setup.

[but no one can do the courses i´am used to skate in the old days. Can you?]
With my board setup, no. With yours, yes. But not as fast as you of course.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:08 pm

The Wednesday race in Stockholm got celebrity visit a week ago. Tony Magnusson was appearantly giving his old hometown a visit. Peter Klang, an old friend of Tony since way back, have done some publicity for the races I assume. Magnusson even had a go himself. What I understand he has bought himself a slalomboard latley. Maybe we have a new slalomer in the FCR series soon. :smile: Another interesting name in the start list was Götis. You who know your skateboard history well will certainly know the name of Hans Göthberg. One of Swedens most impressive ramp skaters through the times. As much as you now can compare different skate generations.

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:59 pm

Pretty cool

Chris Eggers
Germany
Germany

Post by Chris Eggers » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:01 pm

Pretty cool. I met Hans Gothberg in the Summercamp in 1984 I think. And in a Monster Mastership in Münster, Germany. Saw Tony Mag ride vert several times and loved his powerfull airstyle. Great that they try slalom. Keep them coming.

Hans Koraeus

Post by Hans Koraeus » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:36 pm

Here is a small film from the wednesday race July 23 posted by Marcus elsewhere in the forum. <a href="http://www.ettsexett.com/filmer/onsdag2 ... PG">Little film.</a>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hans Koraeus on 2003-07-30 11:39 ]</font>