Shoes. The single most important piece of slalom equipment?

Shorts, Shirts and Shoes

Moderator: Ron Barbagallo

willy demis

Shoes. The single most important piece of slalom equipment?

Post by willy demis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:47 pm

I've been practicing slalom/pumping for a while now, and being new to the sport- I've discovered that pumping really hurts my feet, specifically my heels and arches. I am pretty sure I already know the answer to my question, but I wanted to hear everyone's opinion anyway.

When I forget my skate shoes, I use my Doc Martins. With these, I can get about 4 short runs in before my feet feel like someone is stabbing them with daggers. I randomly had some shoe inserts in my car, put them in, and was able to go a couple more runs. Being that I go through shoes obnoxiously fast (chucks last about 5 months for me) I didn't want to splurge on a very expensive skate shoe. So I picked up some $15 "skate shoes" from Walmart. With these, I am able to go about 10 runs or so before my feet are arching.

So clearly, it seems that the better (or more appropriate) the shoe, the better my feet feel. So my questions are:
1) Do you guys recommend a name-brand skate shoe?
2) When learning to pump, or to ride slalom, is it common for your feet to hurt big time?

At this rate- I don't know that I'd ever even want to attempt a half mile LDP. Yikes!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:51 pm

I get Nike skate shoes from the Nike outlet here in town. I don't worry about arch support as much as what sole grips sandpaper tape the best. Some shoes (like Converse) uses a different kind of sole and I can feel my feet just sliding on the grip tape. (Or at least it used to be that way. Haven't had any Converse shoes in probably 15 years.)

Marion Karr was touting some kind of shoe insert a couple of years ago that he said really helped keep his feet feeling good. Can't remember what it was. Something he got on the Internet and some other slalomers took his advice. Can't remember, though, if it was about arch support or something for the heel.

Gary Saenz

Post by Gary Saenz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:05 pm

Montrail shoe inserts have saved my feet when it comes to biking, skating, and walking. You heat them up at low heat in the oven, slip them into your shoes and then stand in them. They mold to your feet perfectly. Can be remolded if you just reheat them.

http://www.altrec.com/montrail-shoes/me ... ole-insole

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Just ordered a pair. Thanks for the suggestion!

Wesley Tucker
1961-2013 (RIP)
1961-2013 (RIP)

Post by Wesley Tucker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:41 pm

Willy,

just got an answer from Marion. It's ProFoot SuperSport Arch Supports.

Walgreens, Rite Aid and a bunch of other drugstores have them for $6.99.

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:10 pm

Cool- I'll try those as well. Thanks Wes!

Stephen Lavin
Topsider
Topsider

Post by Stephen Lavin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:23 pm

You guys got it all wrong... Topsiders from Sperry or bust. You can wear these with no socks and stick like glue inside the shoe and outside.
LAVIN

willy demis

Post by willy demis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:37 pm

Stephen Lavin wrote:You guys got it all wrong... Topsiders from Sperry or bust. You can wear these with no socks and stick like glue inside the shoe and outside.
What if you like wearing socks... ;)